Is DL ending LAX-NRT?

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Numerous DL FA's are saying the company announced ending of the LAX-NRT flight, is this correct?

Reactions: 1 person
They have said they have received an email from Inflight telling them so.

But LAX-HND will be kept.

From DLNET

Delta will shift its current nighttime LAX-HND service to daytime hours and cancel daytime LAX-NRT service, effective Oct. 29, 2016. 

Why is Delta cancelling LAX-NRT service?
Delta's LAX-HND flight is expected to perform better when operating during daytime hours that so many customers prefer. However, shifting that flight to daytime hours means that LAX-HND will operate at the same general time of day as LAX-NRT, creating redundancy and making LAX-NRT unsustainable. As a result, we are proactively cancelling LAX-NRT service, effective this coming winter

Can't say that I blame them, especially if they have a month's worth of booking data to support the shift in customer preference.

What I find interesting is that DL was recently claiming that nearly 21% of all Asia originating traffic came out of LAX, which seemed to be a show of support for being able to support both NRT and HND.

I can't help but wonder how this can't be seen as blinking at a time when others are building their LAX flying, and also have to question how this undercuts DL's arguments for the added HND slots that have yet to be assigned.

Prior to this, I'd assumed that DL and HA would be the winners given the imbalances with AA and UA having JV partners also operating at HND.

Now, I'm not as convinced that argument can fly, since critics can yet again point to how DL has cut back on service into Japan.

Reactions: 2 people
metopower said:
I guess my comment should have been Oh No!!! I was blindsided on this one. I fly that trip and there were no rumors at all. Hopefully they will reconsider.

Recall that when AA applied to take away DL's SEA-HND frequency, AA's application showed the new LAX-HND flight with the same flight numberss (169 and 170) as the existing LAX-NRT, and everyone said that AA would cancel LAX-NRT if it won the HND frequencies. In subsequent filings, AA used different flight numbers but did not address whether LAX-NRT would survive. DL argued loudly that AA would cancel LAX-NRT.

So far, AA hasn't canceled the NRT flight, despite sharing that route with JAL. In AA's recent application for LAX and DFW, it mentioned that DL insisted that AA's plan was to cancel LAX-NRT, and that AA had not done so.

I have to think that once AA begins flying LAX-HND in the daytime (October 29), there won't be a need for two LAX-NRT flights (one AA, one JAL). I expect that NRT flights will be decreased once these new HND frequencies are opened in April, 2017.

eolesen said:
Can't say that I blame them, especially if they have a month's worth of booking data to support the shift in customer preference.

What I find interesting is that DL was recently claiming that nearly 21% of all Asia originating traffic came out of LAX, which seemed to be a show of support for being able to support both NRT and HND.

I can't help but wonder how this can't be seen as blinking at a time when others are building their LAX flying, and also have to question how this undercuts DL's arguments for the added HND slots that have yet to be assigned.

Prior to this, I'd assumed that DL and HA would be the winners given the imbalances with AA and UA having JV partners also operating at HND.

Now, I'm not as convinced that argument can fly, since critics can yet again point to how DL has cut back on service into Japan.

Delta is growing (or trying to grow) it s LAX-Asia flying. Added PVG not to long ago is also wanting to start PEK. They are just growing away from Tokyo. 

I thought they might keep a 767 going just to feed flights like SIN/BKK and MNL. 

topDawg said:
Delta is growing (or trying to grow) it s LAX-Asia flying. Added PVG not to long ago is also wanting to start PEK. They are just growing away from Tokyo. 

I thought they might keep a 767 going just to feed flights like SIN/BKK and MNL.
I agree. I'm still hoping that that is the case. Until they announce sea to those destinations or lax for that matter. Not starting any rumors.

metopower said:
I agree. I'm still hoping that that is the case. Until they announce sea to those destinations or lax for that matter. Not starting any rumors.

DL probably won't start LAX/SEA-BKK/SIN/MNL. 

IMO all would be money losers. I honestly think UA is going to be setting money on fire by starting SFO-SIN. 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

* alliance (UA@SFO  SQ@SIN)

Yep, and it was * A hub to hub when SQ was burning money on SIN-LAX/EWR. Feed is great but in all honesty UA isn't going to benefit much from the SQ feed because flying XXX-SFO-SIN-XXX offer very few logical connections over other *A hubs like NRT, PEK, ICN and even some cases FRA. 

Its a long long flight. Even longer when you can't carry cargo and have to block seats.