Is receive and dispatch gone, or utility contracted out. Either/Or?, can''t be Both/And

Unionism, The senior guys screw the junior guys, management screws the senior guys. The union takes your dues for years, the union negotiates you a long line of concessionary contracts. The union officials work 9 to 5, 5 days per week, holidays off, the regular line swine works holidays and weekends for over 15+ years. The union represents you, inflation takes away your buying power. I went into this job a very pro-union person-- from the coal fields of WV--I am coming out very anti-union. From the perspective of the employee...it is a very bad deal. Stay away from heavily unionized industries! Good luck to all, I am out of here 1-1-03! eject, eject,eject!

Do you posters realize out of the hundreds of cities we fly to mechanic and related only are stationed at 27 stations and that is the only place we do R&D by maintenance?

The way US has its need for daily and weekly checks done during the day at maintenance stations and all the e-tops flying and we are done to like 27 maintenance stations and every airplane has to be seen my a US mechanic everyday, R&D solves that equation by having maintenance at the 27 stations do R&D.

Boof...you need to get a grip...point of order

Mechs, sorry but you need to let this R&D thing go. It ranks right down there with ALPA's requirement for an FE on the 737s as just blatant union featherbedding. Yes it's safer, but how much safer (a teeny-weeny bit) vs. how much extra cost (a bunch). The industry just doesn't have the luxury of that expense anymore.

I believe the R&D in reality saves few jobs. You still have to have maintenance there to do daily checks and to handle problems on the gates. With PIT going to about 9 gates soon and the R&D staffing being 50%, meaning one mechanic and one utility for staffing requirements the job loss would be minimal. Even if they could cut maintenance by 50% then you would only be cutting the jobs down by 4 mechanics on 1st shift and about 4 on 2nds. Resulting in a headcount loss of say 9 to 10 mechanics in PIT (for a seven day schedule). Whoopee!!! I say do it and then pay the mechanics who are left the money we are supposed to get. Remember now we took an extra $2 an hour for this R&D issue in cuts. Being a mechanic is really a suck job any how. Most guys don't live very long after retirement (if they don't die before hand). All the metal dust and toxic fumes, crummy working conditions, etc... must have it's tolls on a body. I am sick and tired of being paid similar to some one who shows up at this place with no skills and is trained by the company and I end up making only a couple bucks more for all the hassle I go through. Gee it looks like I even will get to take a vacation before April or after September since the 'new' vacation allotment is so 'employee friendly and I most likely am not getting a week in the summer. I hope my kids school understands when I have to take them out for a week. I wonder how much the company saved with that idea. All this to be the lowest paid in the industry. I just hope none of my many supervisors or many managers leave. What would I do. Oh no!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/17/2002 9:24:07 PM pitguy wrote:

I believe the R&D in reality saves few jobs. You still have to have maintenance there to do daily checks and to handle problems on the gates. With PIT going to about 9 gates soon and the R&D staffing being 50%, meaning one mechanic and one utility for staffing requirements the job loss would be minimal. Even if they could cut maintenance by 50% then you would only be cutting the jobs down by 4 mechanics on 1st shift and about 4 on 2nds. Resulting in a headcount loss of say 9 to 10 mechanics in PIT (for a seven day schedule). Whoopee!!! I say do it and then pay the mechanics who are left the money we are supposed to get. Remember now we took an extra $2 an hour for this R&D issue in cuts. Being a mechanic is really a suck job any how. Most guys don't live very long after retirement (if they don't die before hand). All the metal dust and toxic fumes, crummy working conditions, etc... must have it's tolls on a body. I am sick and tired of being paid similar to some one who shows up at this place with no skills and is trained by the company and I end up making only a couple bucks more for all the hassle I go through. Gee it looks like I even will get to take a vacation before April or after September since the 'new' vacation allotment is so 'employee friendly and I most likely am not getting a week in the summer. I hope my kids school understands when I have to take them out for a week. I wonder how much the company saved with that idea. All this to be the lowest paid in the industry. I just hope none of my many supervisors or many managers leave. What would I do. Oh no!

----------------
[/blockquote]

The reality is, you haven't lost any vacation time. It's just called sick time now. Best thing is, you don't need approval to use it and it doesn't matter if that week is taken.