ISP UPDATE!!!!!!!

[P]Whether SWA was going to build a mini-hub at ISP or not was speculation on this board; certainly nothing was ever officially announced by SWA. My guess is that ISP-PVD flights may return after the new terminal at ISP is built and after security hassles diminish. [/P]
[P]But why is the new terminal taking so long to build? Is it due to concern that TSA security requirements are unclear, so SWA won't spend the money to start building if the plans have to change? Has SWA just slowed things down because business has slowed down? [/P]

The reason that SWA has slowed down building at ISP is that the environmental studies have taken longer than planned. From what I've been told the plans are done & they are starting the work on the 4 new gates.

I just thought I would bring this topic to the forefront of the section and see if there is any service news regarding ISP. The only changes I see are that US Air has gone back entirely to ALG to PHL and there is no longer any PDT service.

Anyone?????

Nope nothing new, the only thing that I may not have posted is that the ALG service to ALB will be replaced by two daily B-1900c flights. This puts U at a disadvantage as the CO flights are operated by 1900D which are a bit more passenger friendly. Other than that DLX will be starting its second FLL flight back up on Saturday and on DEC1 2 COMAIR CVG flights will be replaced by the CRJ700. I still really don't know what will happen once DL cuts DLX. It will be happening soon as the 737-200 is already being painted back to mainline colors and CVG RJs and MD80s are being replaced by the 732s. JFK-FLA flights wil go to mainline 757s starting in JAN. Apparently DL has set up the code name LCC (low cost carrier) for their new strategy and are working on setting up a separate airline that although will be owned by DL may not have the Delta name and may not be handled by DL staff (although I don't know how they can get that one past the pilots). It will be interesting to see what DL will do to it's ISP base once the DLX product is flushed down the toilet. My prediction is that 737's will replace some RJ aircraft to CVG and it will remain a mainline city, or it will just become a Comair run city and all mainline flights will go away (although in some cities such as MHT there are mainline flights but the station is not staffed by mainline it is staffed by comair). It will be fun to see what will happen, but as of right now it is all quit on the ISP front!!!!!!!

It looks now like the new DL Lite will be aimed more at Jet Blue--757's to ISP????

Also we soon lose 1 frequency each way ISP-PHL-the 6AM Outbound and 8PM return--that's going to hurt me the most.

Any other news for ISP?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/15/2002 6:40:22 AM Art at ISP wrote:

It looks now like the new DL Lite will be aimed more at Jet Blue--757's to ISP????

Also we soon lose 1 frequency each way ISP-PHL-the 6AM Outbound and 8PM return--that's going to hurt me the most.

Any other news for ISP?

----------------
[/blockquote]

With a 7,000' runway, ISP can easily handle a 757.

On another note, on Thursday night at the gate AA Eagle uses, the flight listed was to St Thomas. Anyone know what that was? I'm assuming it was a charter?

Just took a peek at the Delta schedule for 2003. The nonstops from ISP to FLL are gone in June. Looks like there won't be any 757's, and the market is going to be left to WN.

Sounds like the speculation that Delta was going to target JetBlue may be correct. JetBlue is still a small airline that Delta may have better success battling than SWA. Besides, JFK has to be much more important to Delta than ISP.

Yup, that's rightDLX is gone at ISP effective June,1 and will be gone completely by next fall. All of the 737-200's are going to mainline with a base in CVG. JFK flights to FLORIDA will be 2 class 757's operated by mainline, not all coach 757's that we all thought. We will find out what the fate of DL will be at ISP as soon DL unveils the new LCC(low cost carrier) plans later this week. I dont know if at that point ISP will see anymore big jet service from DL or it will go to COMAIR ASA only.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/24/2002 7:13:50 AM Art at ISP wrote:

Runway 6-24 at ISP is the same length as the runways at LGA, 7000 ft. Although this might limit transcons (they are possible under most conditions), there are no further limitations.

I just think that there wasn't enough ridership for ISP-PVD due to the annoyance factor. It is easier under most circumstances to drive and take the ferry from Orient Point. I know that if I don't have to fly elsewhere from Providence or Boston, that would be my choice...then again WN was never an option for me in the first place.

My hope is that other carriers see an opportunity here. I agree with PLANES-there is a market for ISP-BOS.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Hi, Art. I'm curious as to exactly when WN would be an option. I think I have found one.

Suppose you need to visit BWI for a 9 AM - 5 PM meeting on one day (not D.C. or Philly, but someplace across the street from BWI airport). I checked the schedules, and all three flight options and the train will get you there in time. Would you:

Fly WN ISP-BWI non-stop (arrive 7:35 AM or 8:25 AM)
Fly US ISP-PHL-BWI (arrive 8:44 AM)
Fly US LGA-BWI (arrive 7:50 AM)
Take the LIRR and Amtrak (arrive 8:12 AM)
Drive

Today's Newsday had the following article: Looks like work on the expansion is ready to pick up.

FAA OKs Southwest Airlines Expansion At MacArthur

By Víctor Manuel Ramos
Staff Writer

December 7, 2002

Noise, air, groundwater or traffic concerns shouldn't stop Southwest Airlines from adding gates and expanding its terminal at Long Island MacArthur Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration has ruled.

The FAA, which reviews airport projects, arrived on Thursday at a finding of no significant impactâ€￾ on the environmental study for Southwest's east concourse expansion and improvements, giving the green light to the project.

The environmental assessment is the first step. It's up to the airport and the town now,â€￾ said Jim Peters, spokesman for the FAA's eastern region.

The decision is a setback for Islip residents who protested the plan and said they were already fed up with noise, air traffic and pollution from the Ronkonkoma airport, which is owned by the Town of Islip.

Deborah Slinkosky, president of the Committee for Enforcement of MacArthur Airport Controls, said the environmental assessment contained outdated noise data from a 1990 study. It's unconscionable. ... The report they filed does not meet the needs of today's society,â€￾ Slinkosky said.

As proposed in FAA documents, the project -- whose cost has been estimated between $35 million to $40 million -- would entail two phases. With eight jet gates planned, Southwest Airlines eventually would be able to handle up to 32 more flights a day. The project's time frame was not released, but the FAA decision detailed other aspects of the plan.

First, the airline would clear about six acres of trees to build a two-level extension of the existing concourse, with four new jet loading gates added. It also would build waiting rooms, public areas, restrooms, security checkpoints as well as food and retail spaces. With the new terminal, the airline would need about 27,000 square yards of apron, or paved areas, while relocating a storage facility.

In the final phase, the existing four gates would be demolished and rebuilt, as well as the existing 8,900 square yards of apron. Seventeen acres of trees would be cleared to build parking for 2,000 vehicles, establish new access roads and create a new drainage recharge basin.

The overall expansion would give Southwest another 12,000 square feet of space and four additional aircraft gates, according to the FAA documents.

The Dallas-based airline helped boost MacArthur as an alternative to New York City airports since it entered the metro area's market in 1999. Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Linda Rutherford said she had not read the FAA's decision, but welcomed the news.

Obviously, a finding of no significant impact that would allow construction to go forward is something that we are thrilled about,â€￾ Rutherford said.

Town Supervisor Peter McGowan declined comment through spokeswoman Patricia Pasciutti, because the town had yet to receive the FAA's decision. Town attorney Vincent Messina Jr. said, following FAA approval, Southwest would just need to comply with building and airport codes.

The project does not need town board approval,â€￾ Messina said. It's a regular building permit process.â€￾

Despite the approval, the FAA concluded that the expansion would be subject to continued close coordinationâ€￾ between its program offices and the town.
Copyright © 2002, Newsday, Inc.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/18/2002 5:48:23 PM PLANES333 wrote:

Yup, that's rightDLX is gone at ISP effective June,1 and will be gone completely by next fall. All of the 737-200's are going to mainline with a base in CVG. JFK flights to FLORIDA will be 2 class 757's operated by mainline, not all coach 757's that we all thought. We will find out what the fate of DL will be at ISP as soon DL unveils the new LCC(low cost carrier) plans later this week. I dont know if at that point ISP will see anymore big jet service from DL or it will go to COMAIR ASA only.
----------------
[/blockquote]

The 757's will only be two class for a short time...just to give DL time for reconfiguration. After that, they will be one class.

As for ISP and DL, it's a tough balance. ISP can produce the volume and clearly DL wants to stay in the market (they wouldn't upgrade two RJ flights to both ATL and CVG if they didn't). The problem is yield.

I think DL will likely surrender the ISP-Florida market and hope they can pull some people into JFK. I don't know if the 70 seat RJ's have the legs to fly ISP-FLL. If they did, that would be a possibility....though I don't know if DL wants to waste a 70 seater on a low-yield route like ISP-FLL.

ISP-CVG and ISP-ATL will stay RJ for now, though the potential to get mainline remains. If MHT can support mainline to CVG and ATL, I don't know why ISP can't in the future.

I just thought I would wish all my friends at ISP a Happy Holiday--

I see that Eagle is now down to 3 r/t daily ISP-BOS. Just a matter of time before it goes? Also PHL is down to 5 r/t from 6. Oh well--

How about an RJ ISP-ORD?????

Any other news?