It's Going To Be A Bumpy Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
WingNaPrayer said:
.......thousands of customers every time they misconnect and WON'T WAIT for passengers coming in on other misconnected flights, even by five minutes. That's time a pilot can easily make up in the air, hell most of them can make up a half hour if need be, but noooooooo, not AA, they won't wait.
Ol’ Wing,

Speaking of eating “crowâ€, I have an easy question for you. Do you have a suggestion as to just how a scheduled airline should handle passengers arriving late for their DEPARTING flight? You have mentioned several times that American “WON’T WAIT†even 5 minutes. You also say that most pilots can “make up a half hour if need beâ€.

Are you a pilot? (I’m not either, but, I was in the past.) Certainly you are aware that on long flights and with unusual winds it is possible to ‘beat scheduled flying timeâ€. You are probably also aware that these scheduled flying times are adjusted during the year to compensate for average winds as they vary from one season to another.

Having said this, when a flight departs late, it NORMALLY arrives late. (So much for making up time en-route)

Without receiving an executive’s pay for your ideas, (You’ve mentioned in the past that this is one of your requirements) just how long would you delay a flight for one passenger? Would you hold longer for two passengers? Would you hold longer for a business person? How ‘bout a really GOOD LOOKIN’ gal?

If the plane was already full and some passengers had been upgraded during the last few minutes, would you remove passengers to accommodate those who arrived late? What consideration would you give to the hundred and fifty or so passengers who were on time for a scheduled departure and onboard and would very much appreciate arriving at their destination on time. (and, maybe also wanting to make THEIR connections?) And how about the plane that just landed ON SCHEDULE with a full load of passengers and requires this particular gate? Shall we now delay this flight also? Now we have the ability to make another hundred or so unhappy, just because YOU GOT THERE LATE!

It would appear that there is a lot more involved in handling misconnections than meets the eye of the “misconnecteeâ€.

There is one more question. Would you be happy if a surgeon suggested knocking 30 minutes off your operation because a previous patient “missed his connection�

I don’t think so.

And, yes, I have held on many occasions for connecting passengers and also made schedule.

Randy Kramer

ozcobber said:
WingNaPrayer said:
I highly doubt you're an attorney either, if you were, you'd have a much better command of your phraseology, not to mention legal terms.
You and WRX should have your knife and fork ready, crow is not finger food. :lol:
Sorry, I don't eat REDNECK food like yourself! Have you tried the alligator or cow snout? I hear it goes well with the crow you eat!

extwacaptain said:
just how long would you delay a flight for one passenger?
Anywhere from one to fourteen minutes. 14 being the limit while still getting around FAA and DOT push-back requirements to still be able to report that a flight was "on time" with it's departure.

Now mind you, I'm not advocating this for those buttheads that lollygagg through the concourse and are still late for a flight even though they were at the ticket counter 2.5 hours ago - there's no excuse for absent mindedly missing your flight, if you do, you should pay the hundred bucks to have your ticket changed and booked to the next flight, no questions asked.

Waiting for connecting passengers when the airline itself is at fault for their late arrival to the departure gate, such as in a connecting flight, is something you could courteously do, especially when the connection you're waiting for is holding half of your passengers! Believe me, I've heard it in both Miami and Chicago where the manager at the gate has blatantly said "F*ck em' CLOSE THE DOOR!" And yep, I've written to the company about that very thing, but it never changes. American allows micro-managing which is the very reason why there is no continuity with this airline from one station to the next, and is most likely the culprit in many areas of $$$ waste. With AA there is "by the book" for some of their regulations and "managers use your best judgment" for others.

The management of this airline just doesn't put forth any effort that I see that would warrant confidence in the way the airline is run, and confidence that it will pull itself out of the crapper, or even be there for my return trip for that matter! All AA has done is slash employee's income, which rallys the greedy wallstreet types and boosts their stock, they've done nothing to change the failing ways that ran this once great airline in the ground to begin with.

So, ummmm, yeah - - 14 minutes max!

Go Flight-Flu!

WingNaPrayer said:
extwacaptain said:
just how long would you delay a flight for one passenger?
Anywhere from one to fourteen minutes. 14 being the limit while still getting around FAA and DOT push-back requirements to still be able to report that a flight was "on time" with it's departure.
Ol’ Wing,

Obviously, departure times determine arrival times.
However, unless the procedures have changed, the DOT reports concerning “ON TIME PERFORMANCEâ€￾ are based ONLY on the arrival time.

Or was this a test? ;)

All this talk about sick and holidays brought back a wonderful memory!

I was 'sick out' over Christmas once. . .about 3 years ago.
I was sick as a dog, bronchitis, flu, fever, cough, and all those over the counter things were useless! My Christmas day was spent passing the kleenex box back and forth with my also equally sick husband!

I went back to work after Christmas day and before New Years and was still sick. I had to go to the clinic in the airport and get more drugs so I could fly and not blow my ear-drums.

I remember it was freezing cold, the jet bridge was freezing cold and a real draft was blowing through it. Our crew boarded a plane and the cleaning crew said they were going to quit cleaning if we did not get off and wait on the jet bridge. I sat on a seat and blew my nose and graveled, I'm not moving. The rest of the crew moved back to the jet bridge, I was too darn sick to move anything except the kleenex to my nose!

There was a maintenance super onboard, he didn't say anything, just quietly went and got a "checked coat". After a short conversation with the cleaning crew, the rest of the crew re-boarded.

Ahhh yes, pleasant memories. I sure miss the smell of jet-fuel in the morning!

Former ModerAAtor said:
Hmm. I guess I'm mistaken -- you just own a home there, as you said over in the DL forum a few weeks back.

/index.php...?showtopic=7214
The key word is "own a home there." I never said I live there!! Someone got burned on that post!! ;)

Do you know what a vacation home is?

skyangelnflight said:

I was sick as a dog, bronchitis, flu, fever, cough, and all those over the counter things were useless!
Stay Home! When you are that sick, it makes no sense whatsoever to board a plane where its an enclosed environment and the ventillation system is guaranteed to spread your germs/cold/flu to virtually everyone on board, who will in turn spread it to everyone on their next flight, on and on. Ever wonder how the flu spreads so quickly across the country during flu "season"? ;)

skyangelnflight said:

I was sick as a dog, bronchitis, flu, fever, cough, and all those over the counter things were useless!
Is flying for AA sick worth your eardrums? Remember, you only get 1 drum per ear. But, if you blow one, AA will treat you like .... because you're now on IOD.

wrx said:
Is flying for AA sick worth your eardrums? Remember, you only get 1 drum per ear. But, if you blow one, AA will treat you like .... because you're now on IOD.
How long do they give you on an IOD now? 20 days back to work or you're gone? Or is that just for light duty?

WingNaPrayer said:
How long do they give you on an IOD now? 20 days back to work or you're gone? Or is that just for light duty?
I think the AA way is 1 day and they will send you to AMR medical. Then AMR medical will clear you even if your ears are still blocked. Why you ask? Because AA doesn't care about its employees. This is why we got the name "Sky Nazis!"

wrx
I recently was told about this website, so I finally am checking it out. I can't believe what I'm hearing from many of your flight attendants in this forum. I'm surprised, you want to bite the hand that feeds you. I know everyone at your airline has suffered. i.e. paycuts, longer duty days, shorter rest periods.
Regarding the shorter layovers and longer duty days, I don/t think you should be blaming AMR for that, you should be writing your Congressman or woman, they are the ones that set the FARS. Regarding paycuts, I think you are "crazy" if you didn/t see that as a necessary something is wrong with you, thats just common economics, I don/t know if took any college classes, but that is econ and bus 101.
Times are hard for everyone not just the airline industry, look at the tech sector very similar to what happen to tech as happen to the airlines.

When it comes to working your weekends and holidays, I think you knew that when you signed up to be a FA, you should remember that when you signed your name to that application. Stating that you are willing and able to accept this lifestyle.

One thing that you did say was how hard you are worked on flights, I just want to point out a couple of examples I have seen lately on your airline. One I was on a return trip from IND, the bathroom line was very long, guess what there was some FA in the bathroom a good 10/15min putting on makeup. Same flight anther example in the aft of the AC two FA's sitting there reading magazines for sometime, I know I sat close to the back. Another business trip I was on, this one to the west coast, pretty much the samething went on. I know this doesn't happen all the time though, I have been on flights were all the FA's are busting hump to get the job done on such a short flight or there is weather at one of your hubs.

Talking to a fa on a flight just the other day and the FA mentioned the up and coming holidays "sickout," if that is what you call it, I asked why fa went on this long a drawn out sob story, how hard it was to be away from family over the holidays and such. He said it was also a way to possibly get rid of your Union.
I find that hard to swallow, a majority of your fellow workers voted on these concessions, thats why they are in place. Is it not true if you would get into another Union that the same majority would vote the say way and were to you end up now, the same place you started.

I guess I just can't understand if you want to be like PanAm and Eastern, where are they at now? I don't see them flying too many planes these days. Maybe you and your fellow conspireres can be standing in the unemployment line like many other people these days. I can't imagine why anyone would want to down an airline like AA to join the ranks of Eastern, PanAm, and TWA. Makes no sense to me. You should suck it up and take it like a real person.

Thanks

freshmeat

Freshmeat....

I admire what you are saying but your reasoning is hard to believe. If you have followed AA in recent years you will find out what this company has done to it's workers and what the unions have done to it's members. The F/A's alone overwhelmingly voted a " NO " vote on the most ridiculous concession agreement ever passed by an airline union. Not to mention, the vote was overturned ( OVERNIGHT) to a " yes "vote...Tell me that's not weird? Then almost instantly a furlough of over 3,000 flight attendants followed. This throwing flight attendants with seniorities in some instances over 20 years back onto reserve working this years holidays. Just today alone 3Q results were announced and amazingly AA has over 3 BILLION ( not to be confused with Million ) This is BILLION dollars in Cash. Keep in mind, CEO EX Carty Resigned due to hiding an " Undisclosed" parachute for him and is top 40 execs resulting in his Resignation from the " Worlds Largest Airline " leaving none other than ( His right hand man Arpey ) in charge. Guess What? Carty and his cronies continue to rule this failing company. Let us not forget Jane Allen amoung others at AA jumped ship during this fiasco to UAL ( Currently under Chapter 11 B/K protection ) which has since recalled ALL involuntary furloughs and just announced recalling over 300 " Involuntary" furloughs. Hmmm.....Very intersting.... Also, don't forget the pay cuts the current F/A's on the line tool rewsulting in some foreclosures and setting this profession back some 20 years or more.....( Note: AA has OVER # BILLION IN CASH )...So if the F/A's at AA aren't feeling very wll during the holidays this year.....I hope they get better by January, Who can blame them. When you are sick? You are Sick! :ph34r:

freshmeat said:
I don/t think you should be blaming AMR for that, you should be writing your Congressman or woman, they are the ones that set the FARS. Regarding paycuts, I think you are "crazy" if you didn/t see that as a necessary something is wrong

I know I sat close to the back.

I find that hard to swallow, a majority of your fellow workers voted on these concessions,

You should suck it up and take it like a real person.

Thanks

freshmeat
1) You don't write Congress about how the company and union screwed you on concessions. You get even! Paycuts only happen when you vote yes for concessions and the vote was a NO! The other way is for a judge to impose paycuts during Bankruptcy.

2) How was the lavatory smell? The fresh scent of....

3) Majority didn't vote yes on concessions. If you really followed what happened you would know the original vote was a NO on concessions. AA and the APFA allowed the vote to be extended an extra day. Once a vote is ratified, it's official. When the APFA allowed it to go an extra day, they violated the APFA Constitution and Bylaws. Do you even know what Constitution and Bylaws are?

4) Before you tell someone to "suck it up" you might want to try it yourself.

A little FYI for ya... We're not angry with the APFA as a whole. We're angry with APFA President John Ward, APFA Vice President Jeff Bott, APFA Secretary Linda Lanning and APFA Treasurer Juan Johnson. These are our National Officers, who SOLD US OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back