It's over - LCC withdraws its offer to buy DL

Not sure, but I know you can get a happy ending in BKK for 3 bucks after that long flight.
BKK? Heck, you can get that in TOL.
su2md8z3b.jpg

During this most historical moment, you're thinking about food? :blink:
Well, I’m a big eater.

I’ll say this, though; DP does have a Plan B. Now to just try to speculate what it is…

BKK? Heck, you can get that in TOL.

I’ll say this, though; DP does have a Plan B. Now to just try to speculate what it is…[/quote]

Bring back glassware? regular creamer? food on 2+ hour flights? return of coat closets? a website that works? adequate tools for the FA's to do their job? respectable wages?

I think they charge $40...but a ferocious case of syphillis is thrown in, so maybe it's the better buy.

I'm reminded of Mr Siegel's remarks regarding Delta. Didn't he call Mullins "Darth Vader"?? I can't remember exactly.

BTW it's "Vultures" not that it really matters.

Hate to say this but competition is GOOD for the customer so I'm elated.

What Ever FREAK!! :rolleyes:

I repeat that paybacks are no fun. If you think DL won't be gunning at US now, you are in for a rude awakening.
What did US do that was so terrible? Just wanting to buy the most wonderful airline in the world, in your opinion?
Gimme a break.

WorldTraveler said: “I repeat that paybacks are no fun. If you think DL won't be gunning at US now, you are in for a rude awakening.â€

EyeInTheSky said: The reality is today is a good day to be US Airways; not Delta Air Lines.

USA320Pilot comments: Let’s put WorldTraveler’s and Eye’s comments into perspective.

- Doug Parker said, "At US Airways, we are extremely confident in our own stand-alone plan. Earlier this week, we announced a 2006 profit (excluding charges) of over $500 million, far and away the best performance by a network airline. Our employees will share $59 million of well-deserved profit sharing payments as a result. Looking forward, we expect even higher earnings and a higher profit sharing pool in 2007. Can Delta make the same statement?

- Delta obtain a loan to pay of its DIP financing replacing them with $2.5 billion in funds, but this has not materially affected the company’s finances, which does not materially improve the Atlanta-based company’s finances.

- Oil prices are once again climbing. Who can better handle the spike? A bankrupt company attempting to emerge or the most profitable legacy airline?

- Thus, what are US Airways’ options, which are not currently available to Delta, because the Atlanta-based company is still operating at the discretion of the court and creditors committee?

According to CBS news, US Airways first bid for Atlanta-based Delta in November, setting off speculation of further consolidation in the airline industry. But Parker said Tuesday that that's unlikely. He said it's tough to make an airline merger work unless one of the carriers is going through bankruptcy, which would allow the combined company to get out of expensive leases and contracts. Parker said if Delta wasn't interested, the only other airline that would be good to combine with was Northwest Airlines, which also is going through bankruptcy. "If both Delta and Northwest emerge from bankruptcy standalone, I don't think you'll see consolidation of the airline industry in this cycle," Parker said.

“There was too much stacked against it,†Ray Neidl, a Calyon Securities Inc. analyst in New York, said of the US Airways bid. “I think US Airways eventually goes after somebody else. They've got an aggressive management team.â€

USA320Pilot asks: Could US Airways pursue Northwest, which may be more agreeable to a deal? If so, could United then pursue Continental and Delta be left at the alter as a weakened carrier, who has not been focusing on its standalone plan, while expending a large amount of energy and resources fighting off US Airways’ bid?

According to the New York Times, Delta's creditors committee, led by Boeing Co., was divided between those favoring the US Airways offer and those that would benefit if Delta stayed independent, people familiar with the panel had said.

Could Boeing have lost a very big aircraft order and could US Airways replace its B737-300/400 fleet with Airbus aircraft?

Apparently, Delta ALPA is more cautious on US Airways announcing it is pulling its bid. In a statement the union indicated, “We are one step closer to our goal for Delta to be a successful, profitable airline, but the real victory will be exiting bankruptcy," said Lee Moak, Delta ALPA MEC chairman.

I’m not sure what US Airways intends to do next, but options include making an attempt to acquire Northwest, placing a large order for Airbus aircraft, or continuing to compete with a weaker Delta. Moreover, US Airways’ investors appear to be happy with the company with the stock trading higher by $1.80 or 3.39% on greater than average volume in mid-afternoon trading.

Yes, it appears EyeInTheSky is more accurate than WorldTraveler.

And, I think DCaf's comments are accurate as well.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The spinning here is making me dizzy............wow. And no I do not work for DL,just a frequentflyer.

Funny how no one was making the same arguments in November about US being so strong .

Moreover, US Airways’ investors appear to be happy with the company with the stock trading higher by $1.80 or 3.39% on greater than average volume in mid-afternoon trading.[/font]

Hmm, seems to me the USAir investors are happy this is over. Why can't you just admit it was a flawed plan from the start?

I am comfortable that my airline will do just fine in the future, as will yours. We did not need to merge for either one to be successful.

I wish the USAirways employees nothing but success in the future.

Another point is if US Airways increased Delta's cost of coming out of bankruptcy then maybe Doug Parker is smarter than I thought.

The end result...Delta management has been focused on the merger, not its reorgnaization, and according to Doug Parker, US Airways has spent a fraction of "what the bankrupt company on the other side is spending" on takeover expenses.

Moreover, according to Fortune, if it's such a good idea (US-DL merger), why is Delta spurning a deal? As Delta exits bankruptcy $5 billion leaner and with a better labor agreement, it's excited about its chances in an airline market projected to be very profitable in 2007. Future years, however, might change Delta's tune. "There needs to be consolidation, or the next downturn will hit the industry hard," says S&P's Jim Corridore.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Tell me more about your fragmentation theory USA320. What exactly are your associates saying now?
Your unique corporate transaction theories (dating back to your United philosophies) have yet to deliver. Stick with your day job, it suits you better.

They have been gunning for US for 15 years .... and they failed, thats what led to the mess they're in now. :D

And the US people haven't a right to have a moment to giggle. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What does the withdraw to buy Delta and passing gas have in common?

It's a relief after an attempt to buy a full of s*** company. :eek:

Buh Bye!! :p

Crow anyone?

Unfortnately the crow buffet with humble pie was not scheduled until tomorrow and since there are many who who post here and will be getting a personal invitation to the buffet, we will have to stick to the original date.

I understand that doogie has sent a package of pounded salt to contribute to the buffet.

Yo B.O.B, Yours will have an extra ration of hot sauce as well.

Crow anyone?

Unfortnately the crow buffet with humble pie was not scheduled until tomorrow and since there are many who who post here and will be getting a personal invitation to the buffet, we will have to stick to the original date.

I understand that doogie has sent a package of pounded salt to contribute to the buffet.

Yo B.O.B, Yours will have an extra ration of hot sauce as well.
I can't believe it took you 3 pages to get here. Always love your insight! Since this is over now...will we be seeing less of you?

Luv2fly,

Luv2dly said: "Tell me more about your fragmentation theory USA320. What exactly are your associates saying now? Your unique corporate transaction theories (dating back to your United philosophies) have yet to deliver. Stick with your day job, it suits you better.

USA320Pilot comments: Luv, as I indicated earlier, the fragmentation comments came from a senior official at ALPA National, who spoke to me as a condition of anonymity. Apparently, the Delta MEC was concerned about this too, which is why ALPA National was counseled. AS I indicated earlier, which you conceniently left out, would a fragmentation happen, maybe, maybe not. In my opinion, it did not happen because nobody else was interested in Delta's assets.

By the way, can you tell me what the code phrase "Project Minnow" stood for? I bet you can't.

"Meanwhile according to Rueters, (US Airways shares) popped because now management can concentrate on running the basics," said Ray Neidl, airline analyst at Calyon Securities. "They're looking forward to a very good year."

US Air posted fourth-quarter profit of $12 million on Tuesday.

Its CEO, Parker, has said if the Delta bid failed, US Airways would remain independent. He said he has no other merger targets in mind.

Boyd, the consultant, said US Airways, formed in 2005 from a merger with America West, should focus on completing its ongoing integration.

"They've still got to get the last merger done. They've got a lot of debt issues, a lot of (information technology) issues," said Boyd. "They've got a lot on their plate. It's not like they're bored."

Although US Airways could still pursue a deal for Delta, Parker has said he would not extend the deadline or pursue a merger with Delta if the company exits bankruptcy as an independent company.

Airline consultant Stuart Klaskin of KKC Aviation remained unconvinced US Airways will abandon its consolidation dreams.

"I personally think they are going to turn their attention very rapidly to other markets," he said. "If I were the management team at Northwest Airlines, I would be awaiting the call from Parker."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts