John Nikides Letter To Membership

Skyyggoddess

Advanced
Jun 28, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Below is a letter sent out by John Nikides. He has given me permission to post this. I am posting it wherever I can in an effort to get the word out to F/A's. If you haven't voted, the votes are due by August 11th. I encourage everyone to vote NO.
Terry Casto
IDF

Hello all..

I have been asked by numerous individuals why I, as an APFA member, am not supporting the Constitutional changes on which we are currently voting. I am writing this on my own time, and on my own computer.

Upon seeing the changes, I, initially, intended to vote NO to sending the package out to the membership. I reasoned that it would be best to send the Constitution Committee back to the drawing board.

However, I soon realized that the changes that I deemed necessary to a revised Constitution would never pass the BOD, as it is constituted today. I believed then, as I do today, that the only reason for a Constitutional revision would be to completely and radically change the structure of the APFA to eliminate political patronage; reduce the bureaucratic legacy we have inherited; and to give the membership more
rights, not fewer rights.

I see the elimination of the Executive Committee as absolutely necessary to the future of this organization, and absolutely essential to the rights of the membership. The Executive Committee was put into place in the 1991 Constitution by Gibbs and her cohorts, and represents APFA political patronage at its worst.

While I was LAX-I Vice Chairperson, I actively and aggressively fought against the ratification of the Gibbs Constitution. I was deemed such a threat by the BOD that they actually held a conference call, the agenda of which was to attempt to ban me from APFA Headquarters, due to my alleged "subversive" activities. Further, I was removed from the position of American Eagle Liaison, and replaced by Hutto-Blake, as punishment for daring to go against the "establishment." While I was on a trip, my tires were flattened in the LAX parking lot. Unfortunately, APFA's pockets were much deeper than mine, and despite my best efforts, the Constitution was ratified, at great cost to the membership.

I vowed to myself that I would not support any Constitutional change which did not include elimination of the Executive Committee. After five days of deliberations, It became obvious that the minority of the BOD would block any and all attempts at eradicating this unnecessary, and costly, body from the APFA political landscape.

Further, I voiced strenuous objections to the changes to Article VII, which would preclude a member from filing charges against a BOD member over how they voted on a resolution. I reminded the BOD that, in light of recent events, this would be perceived by the membership as a vain attempt at seeking a "hiding hole," should they pass any further illegal resolutions. The Constitution Committee claimed that this clause was extracted from the Morris Award of the 1980s, which arose out of the Stu Adams-Lundy lawsuit, following the last major schism in our union. In his decision, Arbitrator Charles Morris stated that a BOD member could not be charged for how they vote on a particular resolution. The committee argued that they were just bringing the Constitution into agreement with the Morris Award. This language, as I pointed out to them, is very dangerous, and I, clearly, would not support it. Arbitrators, no matter how erudite or august, do not have to follow the rule of law. They often base their decisions on personal beliefs, which are, hopefully, grounded in fairness, principle and logic. Simply because Arbitrator Morris, in that particular case, decreed that BOD members are shielded from internal charges in specific instances, does not make it law.

If that were indeed the case, and this was now the law of the land, why, then, did the 1991 Constitution Committee not include this verbiage in their revision? The Morris Award predates the 1991 revision by over 6 years.

With regard to the composition of the Negotiating Team, the concern seems to be that the membership might elect unstable characters to this most important of committees. However, while I understand the sentiment, I am gravely concerned about membership perception of this change at a time when suspicion of the BOD and of the President is at an all-time high. Further, the membership is not the only body to succumb to somebody who talks a good game. The BOD, and the President,
in the past, has nominated plenty of individuals whose stability was questionable. The only difference is when the BOD, or the President, is doing the nominating, the individual is, most likely, politically connected, and is being rewarded for some show of loyalty. Both scenarios are troublesome.

Due to recent history, and for obvious reasons, I cannot support the change to Article XI, which gives the BOD the authority to unilaterally shorten a balloting period.

I was told by the Constitution Committee, during our deliberations, that these changes would be voted on section-by-section, instead of in this all-at-once, take-it-or-leave-it fashion. If that is the choice, I say leave it.

I decided to vote in the affirmative to send this package out for a vote in hopes that it would be resoundingly defeated by the membership. It is my belief that most of the BOD members are in denial over how damaging the actions of Spring 2003 were to this membership, and to this organization. They need to hear the message loud and clear, that the voice of the membership DOES, indeed, count. And, to that end, I believe a resounding defeat might just get their attention.

I want the membership to decide. And, despite the fact that members of the BOD will continue to vilify me for having an alternative opinion, I do not have to like these changes, nor do I have to encourage others to vote for these changes.

In unity,

John Nikides
LAX

I think he would have better served his base and the membership by a NO vote to bringing this forward to the membership for ratification. Even as the sole decent, its a message to his base and supporters on how he feels. By the YES vote we all assumed he along with the rest of the board were in full agreement to giving king dip _____ (fill in your own expletive here). Free resign and offering every protection to the board for all there poor decisions on our so called behalf. As well as trying to screw furloughs present and any possible future ones in the process. Information like this is very late in coming. Hopefully those who choose to vote will vote NO.

I expect a very low turn out for this vote. Its late in the game, but remind and talk to everyone. Tell them vote No. Don't allow this to go forward. Mine is in and I hope everyone on this board has a vote in already as well.

LiveInAHotel said:
John Nikides is a great APFA Representative! I just wish the rest of the BOD had the balls to stand up to John WAArd, like John Nikides does.
I absolutely agree. I know John when he was based here. I wish he would have sent a clearer message though by voting No.

APFA
SPECIAL BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
MAY 4 - 5, 2004

Resolution #2

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors previously appointed a Constitution Review Committee
to review the APF A Constitution for the purpose of determining whether changes to the
Constitution should be considered and, if so, to recommend proposed changes; and

WHEREAS, the Constitution Review Committee, following an in-depth, careful review,
determined to recommend certain changes to the Constitution for consideration by the Board
of Directors; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors, following review and deliberation, has determined that
the best interests of the APF A and the APF A membership will be furthered by making certain
changes to the APF A Constitution.
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that in accordance with Article ill, Section 1.A. fo the
APFA Constitution, the Board of Directors recommends that the APFA membership approve
a package of changes to the APF A Constitution; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the National Ballot Committee shall expeditiously
prepare balloting materials and commence balloting of the membership on the proposed
changes to the APF A Constitution which the Board of Directors has today recommended to
the membership for approval.

Resolution:#2
Maker:Watson
Second:LeWinter
Date:4/5/04
Time:1542

Resolution Tally Sheet

Y = Yes
N=No
P=Pass
A = Abstain
N/A = Absent
PXY = Proxy Vote

BOS Carrigan Y
BOS I McCauley Y
DCA WESTON Y
DCAI HORAN Y
DFW O'KELLEY Y
IDF WATSON Y
JFK BOTT(OCR) Y
LAX NIKIDES Y
LAXI MITCHELL Y
LGA EDWARDS Y
MIA WASHBISH Y
IMA TRAUTMAN Y
ORD MALLON Y
IOR MOEHRING Y
RDUI TURLEY Y
SFO SYRACUSE Y
SFOI LeWINTER Y
STL BERTOLINI (V. CHAIR) N
PRES WARD (TIEBREAKER)

YES: 17 NO: 1

Mr. Nikides testified at the Federal Court hearing on the TWA injunction. Though he offered no support for the TWAers issues, he was perceived as honest and forthright. He impressed myself, the TWAers and it appeared he impressed the Judge too. His ability to answer questions in a straight, non-evasive manner contrasted to that of Ward who was evasive and less than forthright.

Mr. Nikides appears to possess other insights about APFA dysfunction - the EC. Looking at posts about this issue it appears APFA has a union within a union and that there will conrinue to be power struggles between the EC and the rest of the union.

Nikides is a near-mythic figure among those of us who care. He doesn't toe a party-line and he is more in touch with the membership (those who care to pay attention and vote anyway).

I'm quite pleased that TWA has respect for him. I wish he would run for President. Based on L1011, there was a respect for him...god, we need this right now.

I'm very troubled by his comments regarding the EC and P Gibbs in 1991. If this is true, I voted for the wrong slate, the other slate isn't any better.

Regarding the RPA and the shortened ballot, Nikides voted "No" and as a result is vilified. Rightfully so. Not that bankruptcy was the best thing, but what the overall membership voted.

I truly hope he re-evaluates where he belongs in this union. Many from other bases look to him for leadership.

coop

I don't think there was a correct side to vote on in the election for officials last spring. The run off between JW and THB was a crap shoot at best.

John would like to go to law school and I believe he is preparing for that. He is a Duke graduate, very smart and ethical. He is always thinking about what is best for the F/A's, but also what is constitutional. He's my hero.
Terry

I am very concerned about these proposed changes..I spoke with Liz Geist and she couldn't even answer my questions. I finally spoke to Greg Bertolini, my vice Chair, and he gave me the scoop.

Sad to say that if this constitution passes Furloughee's will be required to pay their union dues and in the event they choose not to remain dues current, upon their return they will be considered in dues arrears and must pay all back dues in order to be a member in good standing. In addition, no charges can be brought against a member for any motions they bring forward or second, regardless of content! Basically a Board of Director is a member in good standing and can do what they want and get away with it. Also I am concerned that if a member chooses to move to an FSM poisiton, they must pay union dues to be a member in good standing. If the choose not to and come back to the line say in nine years, they will be held responsible for all back dues. The problem is that for a manager to pay union dues in a conflict of interest and highly unethical. How can you be a member of the union and the supervisor of your peers. I say it is impossible. Not to mention if their is a strike, they would not be able to walk out and would not be subject to union protection, yet to maintain their full line rights they would be liable for union dues.

This constitution must be voted down and a new draft must be put forward.

Skyyggoddess said:
I don't think there was a correct side to vote on in the election for officials last spring. The run off between JW and THB was a crap shoot at best.

John would like to go to law school and I believe he is preparing for that. He is a Duke graduate, very smart and ethical. He is always thinking about what is best for the F/A's, but also what is constitutional. He's my hero.
Terry
[post="166454"][/post]​

Ethical???? You cannot be serious.

Yes, JoanJet, I am very serious.
Do you know John? I would guess that you do not. I know him. When I have questions on certain voting, I ask him why he voted as he did. Every time his logic makes sense, even if its not how I would have voted. There are a few issues that I don't agree with him, but his logic is rational and backed up with facts. I have NEVER seen John compromise ethics for politics.

Are you with TWA? His position on the TWA integration issue does not make him unethical. I have spoken with John on this subject. His reasoning is based on facts that he knows. It is up to TWA to present additional facts to support their case. His position does not make him unethical. Being unethical would be doing something that you know is wrong and yet doing it anyway. That is not John Nikides.

You know, Sherry Cooper signed off on resolution 1a that violated our constitution and shortened the balloting from 30 days to 15 (was that a self-serving decision?). I don't like that one bit, but I would not call her unethical because of her decision.

He just likes to make people anry at him. He would score low on Emotional Intelligence.

When we get to read the court's decision on the Motion to Dismiss, we can tell more about whether there is a real case for harm against AA and APFA.