Just Who Is This Jeffrey Gitomer?

CLTBWIDAYSYR

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Mr. Chaimes, the following letter you wrote is the kind of support your employees can always use. Keep us this way of thinking and myabe we can learn to run an airline again.

Charlotte Buisness Journal 03 Nov 2003

OPINION
Letter to the Editor
Gitomer goes too far on US Airways complaints
A recent column by Jeffrey Gitomer ("Instead of hiding behind policy, firms need to focus on service," Oct. 24) , made reference to US Airways as a company that fails to deliver customer service. Unfortunately, Mr. Gitomer failed to provide both your publication and your readers with the entire story.

Mr. Gitomer's dissatisfaction with US Airways is well known and fully chronicled within our company. More than 30 complaint calls to our Consumer Affairs department have been documented since 2000, in addition to his frequent complaints to telephone reservation agents, airport customer service agents and flight attendants. Among the issues were that meal portions in First Class were too small, the CEO column in our in-flight magazine was irrelevant, the amount of miles needed for a frequent flyer award was too high, and his unhappiness with seat assignments. Yes, there were also a couple of justifiable complaints about delayed baggage deliveries and the like, but for the most part, his calls were not things the average passenger calls to complain about.

Mr. Gitomer was pegged as a chronic complainer who was never satisfied with our service. Yet he still continued to fly US Airways, and we continued to try to please him.

In response to his complaints, US Airways assigned our vice president of customer service to be his personal liaison, when it became apparent that our Consumer Affairs staff would never be able to satisfy his demands. Mr. Gitomer was -- and remains -- the only customer who was ever given this special privilege.

Mr. Gitomer then proposed to our vice president of customer service (now retired from the company) that we hire him as a customer service consultant. We declined.

So with all that as background, Mr. Gitomer's column appears in conjunction with his most recent threatening calls to continue to speak his mind in public forums until a senior executive returns his calls and takes some action about his complaints.

We will be the first to admit we are not perfect, and that in running a very complicated business, there are times when we fail to meet customer expectations. It is for that very reason that we formed a Consumer Advisory Board committee several years ago, made up of a broad cross-section of customers, to supplement and enhance our daily, weekly and monthly internal reviews. The Consumer Advisory Board meets several times a year -- most recently in September 2003 -- and provides senior executives with open and honest criticism, feedback and compliments about our efforts to deliver on our customer service obligations.

On the other hand, Mr. Gitomer's verbal abuse of our employees is legendary, and his tirades have left employees in tears. Yet for all his criticisms, he still flies US Airways.

US Airways has thousands of dedicated, professional and caring employees, and we get complimentary letters every day that recognize their efforts. We do not, however, condone any employee treating a customer with anything other than respect and courtesy, and we know there are times when customers feel that they were treated inappropriately. We regret that. But Mr. Gitomer's personal style and behavior tests the patience of even the most saintly of human beings.

Every day, we strive to please every passenger. We do not always succeed, but we clearly understand that our success depends on the support of our customers. There are some people, however, that we can never please despite our best efforts.

Mr. Gitomer is free to think whatever he wants about US Airways, and if he chooses to use venues like his Business Journal column to criticize us, I guess we can't stop that. But we hope that both the Business Journal editorial staff and your readers will see that for whatever reason, Mr. Gitomer's comments as a columnist might have a self-serving motivation. And our employees are tired of his belligerence that is demeaning and unwarranted.

Chris Chiames, Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs US Airways Group Inc.

Kudos to US for finally responding to some negative press! Too many such things have gone unanswered over the years!!

Didn't a Ben Cohen get special treatment from U? He was a big complainer on the Prodigy boards several years ago.

Glad to read that the company is responding to the constant complainers. Kudos Chris

Thank you Chris Chiames!!! I have had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of such a senseless tirade and it is horrible to hear other employees going through the same thing. The customer is NOT always right and I have hated having the complainers ending up with free everything just because they are miserable people at heart. I have heard that Herb Kellerher sends people like Jeffrey Gitomer a letter telling him to take his business elsewhere. Maybe this is the start of something good here-a change in the old culture?

Character Assasination is one way of hiding your problems.

Yeah, it would appear that Gitomer is a certified idiot. However, he makes very valid points at times--particularly about US rez not having the capability to e-mail anyone anything and the lack of wireless and food in the clubs.

Instead of addressing these things, Chiames goes after the author.

Okay, Chris: you need to fire whichever idiot is reponsible for not equipping your res agents with the ability to send e-mail to pax, and whomever has been dragging their feet on wireless and such in the clubs. It's funny that you can get free wireless in the Pittsburgh airport right now, but not in the US clubs themselves.

I guess I can expect the "Mr. ClueByFour is a noted cockroach and has been abusing us for upgradeable fares for years." to appear as rebuttle shorty. :rolleyes:

PineyBob said:
I have done some research on the Git Turd and his tirades are legendary and his arrogance is only surpassed by his ego.

As for Mr. Chiames, I will tell you that he is by ALL accounts from friend and foe alike a "stand-up" guy. If you want to critisize Mr Chiames, critisize him for not banning the GIT Turd from US Airways.

Valid points raised from a self serving self absorbed egomaniacal moron like Mr Gitomer render the those points moot.

Mr Gitomer gives elite travelers a bad name, and I for one despise people like him.
I completely agree with Piney here--Mr. Gitomer's reputation precedes him.

Although he does raise some valid points, there are better ways to raise them than to rant and abuse agents.

As far as the rest of the issue, well, read my signature.

Chiames response is what you would see the management at LUV do. I applaud that effort. LUV would also add that they do not care to have Mr. whacko as a passenger anymore and would then take steps to insure he does NOT fly their airline to the legal extent available.

This is the kind of stuff that would begin to bridge the distance between Siegel and the workforce. IF it is sincere and IF it continues.

I applaud Chiames for his effort and hope he is sincere in his concern for the employees rather than just rebutting the whack's complaints for PR purposes. Problem is, with this management team that question has to be asked. Let's see if this type of effort continues.

mr

It appears that Gitomer has in fact been banned from U and will not be able to abuse the employees of U any longer. Kudos to Chaimes!

I am extremely impressed and agree with all of the above comments. Piney, I think you're right, anything I've seen or heard of Mr. Chiames has always made me think he's a straightforward guy who's not out to get us, and wants the best for the airline.

Perhaps he should be the new CEO? :D

Ok, Chris Chiames finally defends U and the employees. It is his job to address Corporate affairs and everything that negatively and positively effects the company.

But c'mon, CEO? Management hates bad press, so does every airline. But let me see this management put in action their sincerity where their mouth is when it comes to the employees. Its one thing to go to the public and say how wonderful the employees are, and defend us. But, then behind the scenes "beat us down to a pulp". Kelleher treats employees like #1 customers publically and internally. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Its one thing when just a few passengers complain about the lack of quality of a product. And even though we have some really wonderful, loyal customers, many, many are complaining. We are losing customers and the frequent business flyers every single day.

The press effects the stock price.

Chris for CEO? I'll take Dave. They are two peas in a pod.

If it could get published, this would be a great time for some articulate employee to write a letter to the same newspaper explaining how great US could be with better management. There's so much anecdotal evidence to show how great the employees, as a whole, already are.

PineyBob said:
As for Mr. Chiames, I will tell you that he is by ALL accounts from friend and foe alike a "stand-up" guy. If you want to critisize Mr Chiames, critisize him for not banning the GIT Turd from US Airways.
How do you square that with his role as the "mouthpiece?" Let's not forget that he's the one who came on these boards and announced that US had no intention of outsourcing Airbus overhauls.

Latest posts