Kenya wants DL to start flights

If I recall correctly, there was a lot of argument back then as to who pulled the plug on that planned flight:   Was it Delta's decision after consultation and advice from TSA or was it a government edict?   News media at the time surmised that it was TSA's call, not Delta's.  

http://www.globalatlanta.com/article/17384/future-uncertain-for-deltas-kenya-flight/

And then, six months later, Skyteam partner KLM delivered the underwear bomber to Delta at AMS for his flight to DTW (he originated in Nigeria, IIRC).  For some, that incident validated the decision to kill the planned Nairobi flight.   

Reactions: 1 person
Obviously the US government, not Kenya needs to decide it is safe for US carriers to serve Kenya and for there to be direct service between the USA and Kenya.

Still, Kenya knew the reason why the flight was pulled and would like to have it.

If Kenya's government wants the service, then they should direct KQ to fly it. They're still one of the largest shareholders.

JFK-NBO is well within the range of the 773 and 788, both of which are in the fleet.

Reactions: 1 person
if memory serves me, i believe the government canceled the inaugural ATL-NBO  flight just hrs before departure. 

That's right. The new flight is to be on 777 but with the removal of the 744's has that
on hold. I think that Kenyan joining sky team is a way to get that done in the short term. I hope it goes to the 330. No Africa for me but I will do jnb if works sometimes.

meto,
given that NBO is a mile high city and even JFK-NBO is 7300 miles, I would presume the only DL aircraft that would work is the 77L. Do you think a 773ER could do the route if Kenya operated the flight?

I doubt if a 787-8 could do the route.

I hope if the route is added, it is flown by DL but Kenya is a good partner and has strong ties to AF/KL so the route could be done as part of a JV if necessary.

I also would bet that we will see some long haul growth from DL next summer by pushing the new 333s onto some routes that might free up some 744s or 777s. Also, it might take some work but the 777s that are operating to Europe this summer might be able to be freed up for other flights.

I would imagine we will hear about new int'l flights in the next couple months.

If DL doesn't add any long haul flying going into the 2015 contract, it will make it complicate negotiations for the company.

333 could not fly that distance. Meto could say whether a 787-9 could but it would still be a 15 hour flight from a 5500 foot airport to JFK.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new 333s are used for DTW and MSP to Japan and potentially JFK to NRT which is also connected to JFK-TLV; freeing up any 777s would allow them to be used for longerhaul growth.

Many of the current 772LR routes could only be flown by them or might take performance/payload penalties if they are downgraded to 772ERs.

773 and the 330 neo will not go non stop on a warm day from nbo. But could do as Quantas does Sydney to DFW but make a stop on the way back . Don't know the specs on the 787-9. But 777lr is made for that mission.

also remember that DTW-PEK and DTW-NGO both switch to the 332 which free up 777s and 744s or at least allow 330s (which DL has plenty of) to not require a replacement of 744s with 777s - and it is the 777s which are needed for longer haul flying.

I am still optimistic that some of the new long haul flying we are hoping for in 2015 will materialize.

Latest posts