Kudos to the Pilots on PHL-MAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're trained to do this stuff almost from our very first flying lesson in single-engine bug-smashers. It's part of the job. Even a west pilot could have done it!

I'm certain the pilots on your flight have faced much more challenging situations with landing weather and completed the flight with their usual aplomb...and in these cases the passengers were blissfully unaware that the pilots were working their butts off.

Completely wrong, sir. You apparently did not read posts 2 and 3. Perhaps you have not yet gotten to post 7, where the poster, necrophilia, went all contradictory on everyone, bringing to life a dead horse by beating on it.

Given the love fest between East-West pilots, I think its safe to say that some might be inclined to consider posts #2 (oooooh, East pilots make me feel sooooo safe) and #3 (too young to shave comment) as poking a hornets nest with a stick. I realize that was not the intention of the posters - but here we are nevertheless.

Nice job, guys! It's good to hear that it went like we practice it in the sim. BTW, was it a 76 or a 330?

Every time I fly I take the opportunity to thank the flight crew when I get to see them. I have found that they are all highly trained professionals that have earned and deserve our respect. We place our lives and that of our families in their hands every time we fly and they do not take that responsibility lightly. I would like to take this chance to say THANK YOU to each and everyone of you.

Thanks, as that was my intention, to acknowledge a supurb job.

Barry

Barry,

Thanks for taking the time to comment about your experience. It is apparent the flight crew did their job on this one. One comment I would like to add is that the biggest challenge with these type of failures is not the actual approach and touchdown itself - its getting everything stopped once on terra firma that's usually the problem. These failures keep the crew very busy while still in the air; they must determine their approach configuration, approach speeds (these can be pretty impressive: 175 kts or more, depending upon weight/failure), and must then determine how much runway will be required to stop the beast. Once all of this is figured out and it is determined that the available runway is longer than required stopping distance, you're good to go.

Then, of course, some of us have to limber up the vocal cords just a bit before we make our "Captain Cool" PA announcement regarding the predicament, but once that's taken care of, we just get everything we can hanging in the wind and fly what is pretty much a normal approach - and hope that all those calculations for stopping distance were done correctly. After we touch down, its pretty much max everything - full reversers, heavy breaking, and keep sure you stay on the centerline. The last bit is important because it tells you that you are applying equal pressure to both sets of brakes.

After you've stopped its simply a matter of getting to the gate before all the fuse plugs melt and your tires go flat. It's a real PITA for everyone if a complete off-load has to be done via busses on the taxiway. But the good part is that these types of failures usually occur during approach to your original destination airport. You might get to your hotel a little bit late, but at least you get there.

NLC

After we touch down, its pretty much max everything - full reversers, heavy breaking, and keep sure you stay on the centerline. The last bit is important because it tells you that you are applying equal pressure to both sets of brakes.

Autobrakes are used in this situation.

After you've stopped its simply a matter of getting to the gate before all the fuse plugs melt and your tires go flat. It's a real PITA for everyone if a complete off-load has to be done via busses on the taxiway. But the good part is that these types of failures usually occur during approach to your original destination airport. You might get to your hotel a little bit late, but at least you get there.
Do you have any experience as an airline pilot? Was the guy who told you that using his hands to illustrate his landing :huh: ?

Autobrakes are used in this situation.

No joke. I/any reasonably want a well-metered intital deceleration rate in such scenarios. A zero, or partial flap at destination presupposes a healthy weight reduction via fuel burn, and there's generally no need for frying brakes, most especially given that the arrival runways aren't on the short side. I don't know where this fellow gets his "stuff" = "heavy breaking, and keep sure you stay on the centerline. The last bit is important because it tells you that you are applying equal pressure to both sets of brakes."..."After you've stopped its simply a matter of getting to the gate before all the fuse plugs melt and your tires go flat." Dunno 'bout any others...but my understanding is that it's procedurally inappropriate to even consider any taxi ops with extrmely hot brakes (the type you get from "heavy" manual braking), other than to perhaps just clear the active runway and await fire trucks and scanning. Additionally; It'd be insane to bring an aircraft with possibly exploding tires/melt downs/fire/etc into an area congested with ground workers....I must be missing something here as well.

No Matter=A nice job by the folks that flew that trip.

Do you have any experience as an airline pilot? Was the guy who told you that using his hands to illustrate his landing :huh: ?

What he said sounds about right to me. (I've been a captain for 12 years, and a 767ER captain for three of those.)

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.