Larry Pike of 567 FIRED ?

Those numbers that SWA posted take into consideration that as newer aircraft come into service the maintenance required is less. Newer technology and longer times between servicing. Ask yourself this question. Does a 727 and a 737NG require the same amount of maintenance? How about a DC-10 compared to a 777? So the numbers will drop even though SWA has more aircraft in service. How many assembly line workers did it take to build automobiles in the 50's vs today? Same idea. Technology has improved and time has proved that technology will reduce the labor involved to maintain a product. This has nothing to do with outsourcing. That is a decision made by upper level management to increase profits or bonuses and screw the American working person and send them to the unemployment line.

SWA Maintenance Staffing per A/C:

2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

3.9 3.8 3.6 3.4 3.2 3.2 3.0 2.9

This is what you dig up to show job losses blamed on AMFA? LOL!! What an idiot.
Let me get this straight. Per your reasoning, when we purchased AirTran, on finacial close day we increased our fleet by 138 aircraft. Without looking it up I believe that day was May 2, 2011. So on May 2 our mech to A/C ratio dropped dramatically. Are saying this equals job losses??? Man you guys will grasp at anything to try and make AMFA look bad for your campaign to get others to support your industrial unions. As WN has stated as well as I, you are making AMFA look alot better. AMFA came in behind the teamsters and noticed right away all the holes in the contract, and started filling such holes ASAP. If the company could have their way the ratio would be "0" mechs per A/C. At least AMFA has hard numbers as a ratio for head count, as well as other head count provisions to lock in count in our back shops, structures lines, "c" checks ect... Any of these were on the chopping block and vunerable to outsourcing under the teamsters watch.
Are you still claiming job losses from a union when a new union is voted in? How can you guys possibly think it is that way? And you guys work on A/C, now that's scary.

Those numbers that SWA posted take into consideration that as newer aircraft come into service the maintenance required is less. Newer technology and longer times between servicing. Ask yourself this question. Does a 727 and a 737NG require the same amount of maintenance? How about a DC-10 compared to a 777? So the numbers will drop even though SWA has more aircraft in service. How many assembly line workers did it take to build automobiles in the 50's vs today? Same idea. Technology has improved and time has proved that technology will reduce the labor involved to maintain a product. This has nothing to do with outsourcing. That is a decision made by upper level management to increase profits or bonuses and screw the American working person and send them to the unemployment line.
You are correct.
In the early 2000's we started to rework our complete maintenance program.
We had been doing A, B, C, 1/4D, 1/2D and full D checks ect...
We worked with the FAA and reworked and regrouped our checks into series of Y checks, 4y,6y,8y, 10y ect......
These new checks are more efficient and allow us to only open the sections if the a/c needed and return it to service sooner.
We had a couple of years of transition to the new system where we had bridge checks to get all the required inspections in order to convert totally to the Y check system.
We now are realizing the full benefits of the system and we are still reducing span times.
This program was designed for us to need LESS outsourcing of a/c. We do far more checks in-house now with shorter and shorter span times.
We still continue to add to the fleet and add mechanics but have been able to control outsourcing costs by this program and doing more checks in-house.
Yes, I said LESS OUTSOURCING.
The numbers realtick posted only show how we have been able to add aircraft faster than mechanics, but I have explained why.

We try to work as efficient as possible here and our goal is to work smart and contain costs so we will all have good paying jobs for years to come. The more work that we don't have to outsource is more profits and more money to spend on raises.

This is our SWA culture not AMFA.
We brought on AMFA so we could get rid of the teamsters and control ourselves, not to change SWA and our successful business model.
Who would want to kill the goose laying the golden eggs?

We try to work as efficient as possible here and our goal is to work smart and contain costs so we will all have good paying jobs for years to come. The more work that we don't have to outsource is more profits and more money to spend on raises.

Seems win-win all around. Never ceases to amaze me why people argue for another model...

This is what you dig up to show job losses blamed on AMFA? LOL!! What an idiot.
Let me get this straight. Per your reasoning, when we purchased AirTran, on finacial close day we increased our fleet by 138 aircraft. Without looking it up I believe that day was May 2, 2011. So on May 2 our mech to A/C ratio dropped dramatically. Are saying this equals job losses??? Man you guys will grasp at anything to try and make AMFA look bad for your campaign to get others to support your industrial unions. As WN has stated as well as I, you are making AMFA look alot better. AMFA came in behind the teamsters and noticed right away all the holes in the contract, and started filling such holes ASAP. If the company could have their way the ratio would be "0" mechs per A/C. At least AMFA has hard numbers as a ratio for head count, as well as other head count provisions to lock in count in our back shops, structures lines, "c" checks ect... Any of these were on the chopping block and vunerable to outsourcing under the teamsters watch.
Are you still claiming job losses from a union when a new union is voted in? How can you guys possibly think it is that way? And you guys work on A/C, now that's scary.

The AirTran purchase wasn't included in the count.

The AirTran purchase wasn't included in the count.
You also didn't show the first 30 years numbers either because they would show the true history of SWA mechanic to a/c levels, and would not support the made up story that we are giving up jobs for more money.

We have never given away jobs and have increased the number of mechanics at SWA every year I have been here.

I have already explained how we have been able to increase productivity while increasing our fleet.

We are still hiring and gaining jobs.
Sorry that it is not as fast as YOU like.

You also didn't show the first 30 years numbers either because they would show the true history of SWA mechanic to a/c levels, and would not support the made up story that we are giving up jobs for more money.

We have never given away jobs and have increased the number of mechanics at SWA every year I have been here.

I have already explained how we have been able to increase productivity while increasing our fleet.

We are still hiring and gaining jobs.
Sorry that it is not as fast as YOU like.

Any chance of them putting maint in ISP or LGA? I know of around 500 mechanics they could hire tomorrow, including me!!

I wouldn't spend too much time debating those clowns as to how well you guys have it. They know the truth is you guys are the envy of every AA mechanic and there isn't one of them that wouldn't wish they were working under your terms.

Any chance of them putting maint in ISP or LGA? I know of around 500 mechanics they could hire tomorrow, including me!!

I wouldn't spend too much time debating those clowns as to how well you guys have it. They know the truth is you guys are the envy of every AA mechanic and there isn't one of them that wouldn't wish they were working under your terms.
I am sorry to say we have no plans to add maintenance there.

I feel for you guys and only come on here to correct people when they try to lie or twist things about SWA, our mechanics or AMFA.

I support the AA mechanics who want to dump the TWU for AMFA because I remember how I felt before, during and after we dumped the IBT.

I know that the AMFA system works great for us and can work anywhere when mechanics decide they will control their own futures.

If AMFA gets in there, the results will NOT be exactly the same as SWA because you guys will make your own mistakes and successes.

But you would have the opportunity to do it on your own terms with excellent hired help and we would be behind you as well.

You already know that you guys would win most AMFA national positions and help us guide the future of AMFA for all.

I wish you all well.

SWA Maintenance Staffing per A/C:

2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

3.9 3.8 3.6 3.4 3.2 3.2 3.0 2.9

Although your headcount theory is pointless, what is your huge obsession with our headcount at SWA?
Not quite following you here. Although it seems to be another attemt at trying to show in someway and somehow loss of jobs. SWA has been hiring mechs for the last several years. Here and there prior to buying A/T and min 5 per mo and 10 per mo for the last year and a half. With the purchases of the 800's and the MAX coming, as well as continueing to purchase the 700's, SWA will be growing the fleet at a steady but SLOW pace for years to come. Sometimes it will remain staggnet. With this in mind, and the hiring won't last forever, the added A/C will continue drop the ratio, this does not mean we are losing jobs or losing work.
I don't care if AA has 5,6,7,8 or 10 mechs per A/C. As long as SWA continues to run lean and mean, and never had lay-offs in it's entire existance is AOK by me. Times like the current are the exact reasons why SWA never over hires. We will continue hiring thru first half of 2013. We are hearing of more new positions being added to Denver in early 2014, as well as added headcount to some of our shops in Dallas in 2014. Then the W/A will be gone 2/3rds into 2014 which we are being told when our overnighters will be going from 15-19 per night to over 40 every night. We are hearing of continued hiring from the end of the 4th line staffing going into late 14 and early 15 do to the W/A going away.

Seriously? You are blaming the TWU for "giving" those things up. You know nothing about BK Dave. Stick to your grinding machine.

Everyone either had their pension frozen or terminated in BK. EVERYONE. Retiree medical? Yep that got cut in BK too at all the other airlines. Work rules? Yep those changed to in BK.

The TWU got you 9 more years of pensionable service Dave than everyone else. The 2010 TA was going to allow you to keep yours. Now we have a 401(k) like everyone else. The IBT, AMFA, and the IAM led the way here, not the TWU.

AA still has all that work in TUL. PALM, CRO, TAESL, and 20 plus docks of AO. Dave if you are suggesting we agree to give up more jobs for pay can we start with the unlicensed mechanics first? That's the AMFA way.

OS why do you keep coming on here spinning this BS? Take the time to read and understand people's responses, are you here for damage control for the international? Seems you are the one that is oblivious to people's feelings and resort to attacking other posters.

Josh

Yes I do understand negotiations very well. Your leverage is self-help just ask "Full Release" Bob. If you have leverage - job actions - then you must be prepared to use it. Sounds like from swamt that the want to buy out your overhaul line. Happy negotiating and a "buy back" is a giveback.

Hey Don,

Your understanding of negotiations means mimicking everything the company says. Then pushing a concessionary contract. Wish you would negotiate your pay and benefits the way you negotiate our pay and benefits.

Although your headcount theory is pointless, what is your huge obsession with our headcount at SWA?

Its not an obsession, its the only thing he has. AA has more mechanics than SWA and more mechanics per airplane. But what does that really mean? SWA has better paid mechanics, they have more vacation, more Holidays, much better pension, better Retiree medical, better workrules, better medical, double time, etc etc etc. He has nothing else to compare so he basically is saying that we should be glad that we have less pay etc etc because AA employs more mechanics than SWA. Of course there isnt an AA mechanic out there that wouldnt trade places with a mechanic at SWA but thats the only point that he can make. You have to understand, he is not an industrial Unionist, nor a craft Unionist, he is a business Unionist and he sees nothing wrong with discounting our labor as long as it helps maintain the dues flow that keeps him from having to actually work under the terms he advocates for others. He looks at the Union members the same way Colonel Sanders looks at chickens. Its not about improving the quality for members, its about having as many members as possible. A while back he was justifying the pay of union officials by the number of members the union has and not whether or not those members saw improvements. Here in NY we basically suffer a penalty for being in a Union, If we had no union we could expect the market rate as set by Jet Blue, the MTA and other industries that our guys are slowly going to, that would actually provide us better pay and benfits than we have as union members and we have to pay $700 for that! Most of us have 20 years or more, starting over is hard, but its getting easier.

Ok, so they have it in writing for at least 2.75 per aircraft, what is ours in writing?
It's in article 1. While a number is not locked in 65% of direct labor and materials will keep us in double digits of HC per aircraft. That is assuming all productivity stays the same. Now if the TWU got more efficient (deliver more work with less HC) you could, in theory, drive up individual pay rates and still keep the same work in-house. No such incentive at WN under the AMFA CBA. 2.75 AMT regardless of what is done internally and the ebb and flow of old and new aircraft maintenance demands.

Back