Latest DOT Consumer Report Out

Another sad commentary on the state of PIT:
"BTS also added St. Louis Lambert and Portland, OR, International to the list of airports for which airlines are required to report flight delays. Greater Pittsburgh Airport was removed from the list."

They don't have the traffic numbers to even be worthy of reporting!

13 complaints for WN in Aug.....hell they have that many in one 30 minute tv show!!! I am not sure these numbers are true...

13 complaints for WN in Aug.....hell they have that many in one 30 minute tv show!!! I am not sure these numbers are true...

I could be wroing about this but, I believe that number/percentage is based on the number of complaints that the DOT (or some other gov't agency) receives, not the ones that just go to the airline's headquarters and I'm sure that most of WNs pax are not the ones that will spend their time writing to the DOT...so in reality those numbers might be a little misleading.

yes, complaints are to the DOT. If a company can resolve its customer service issues w/o a customer feeling a need to involve the government, they should be commended.

I could be wroing about this but, I believe that number/percentage is based on the number of complaints that the DOT (or some other gov't agency) receives, not the ones that just go to the airline's headquarters...<snip>
You are correct - the complaint rate is the only ranking in the DOT report that isn't based on numbers the airlines submit but rather on complaints received by the DOT during the month in question (Aug in this latest report).

Baggage Claims back in the double digits per 100,000 for August. The only carriers ranked below US AIrways were Regional Carriers. Good Christ.
2/3 of US is express our raking reflects that
It's a mixed bag with the Express carriers. The DOT reports on certificated carriers (other than combining US & HP since the 1st of the year), so if Mesa, Republic, PSA, etc, reports a baggage problem it doesn't count against mainline. If US/HP reports it, it counts against mainline.

Currently, Mesa is the only one of our Express carriers large enough to be included in the report, unlike most other legacy carriers whose main Express partner is also included.

Jim

If you file a delay baggage report in a US Airway baggage claim office and the passenger fly’s on USAirways/USAirway Express I believe it is reported to the DOT and reported as a US stat. Management is always trying to play with these numbers but with US it is hard to hide

What is a better measure would be to compare August 05 and 06.

I have heard that east numbers were so bad for so long that even a great double digit improvement would still show up as lowest among the majors.

Anyone remember the movie "Summer School". :p

Also remember that August numbers relect the carryon restrictions that resulted in checked bags going up 25%.

If you file a delay baggage report in a US Airway baggage claim office and the passenger fly’s on USAirways/USAirway Express I believe it is reported to the DOT and reported as a US stat. Management is always trying to play with these numbers but with US it is hard to hide
Back when the PAWOB numbers were in the daily news sheet, the mainline "month to date" number at the end of the month matched the DOT reported figure very closely while the Express composite number was almost always quite a bit higher. Maybe they changed the way they report since then...

Jim

Latest posts