LAX Maintenance Town Hall 2/24/15

OldGuy@AA said:
I loved it when the mechanic asked Isom if they were looking at Delta's benefit package too.  He immediately brought up SCOPE being non existent at Delta.  That is COO speak for "No we have no intention of matching any of their benefits."
Scope is pretty non existent in our contract that we pay dues money for!

TWU has a scope clause. DL doesn't have any airframe overhaul. Even if AA outsources to max, there will always be a significant portion in house. DL has no limits on outsourcing. Check your contract.

OldGuy@AA said:
Obviously not familiar with their whole package but I do know they have at least 10 holidays, they get paid full sick time and have either 6 or 7 weeks of vacation (I think 7).  I don't know about their medical (I'd be real surprised if they paid more than we do) or their retirement.  The point is that I consider vacation, holidays and the rest as part of my pay.  For years we were told we had better benefits than they did so that justified our lower pay.  Now we have much less pay and the worst benefits in the industry.  The company should not be able to get it both ways.  Also in my opinion SCOPE has nothing to do with pay and benefits.  If everyone else is getting 7 weeks vacation and 10 holidays and full sick time regardless of SCOPE then that should be included with the pay raise.  Any TA that does not re-instate our concessions should be a resounding NO.
10 holidays.

4'weeks vac., with the 5th recently restored for those with over 25 completed yrs. of svc....

Sick time and OJI time are combined into a bank called "PPT," and you can use it for day at a ti e vacation as well. We accrue 56 hours/year. You can bank up to 3 years worth. Anything over that either has to be cashed out or rolled into yet another bank intended for longer term absences...

Hope this helps...

Overspeed said:
TWU has a scope clause. DL doesn't have any airframe overhaul. Even if AA outsources to max, there will always be a significant portion in house. DL has no limits on outsourcing. Check your contract
Is the contract going to change during Joint Collective Bargaining ?

Overspeed said:
TWU has a scope clause. DL doesn't have any airframe overhaul. Even if AA outsources to max, there will always be a significant portion in house. DL has no limits on outsourcing. Check your contract.
Tell it to the guys in the Turbine building..Article I is full of holes!! And as far as Delta is concerned they do heavy overhaul when it suits their needs. Spoke to my father about 5 months ago and he said they were doing a 767 heavy check for the Chilean Air Force.

2ndGENAMT said:
Tell it to the guys in the Turbine building..Article I is full of holes!! And as far as Delta is concerned they do heavy overhaul when it suits their needs. Spoke to my father about 5 months ago and he said they were doing a 767 heavy check for the Chilean Air Force.
Specific work has never been protected. The total amount has been and continues to be. If an airline buys new aircraft with engines that require half the amount of overhauls as the previous mode, what does that have to do with scope and outsourcing? The turbine shop is being downsized because MD80s are being parked. So are 757s. The new aircraft will not need engine overhauls for a while.

How many DL 767s did they do? The DL Tech Ops website says they do 3P work and I bet that Chilean plane was a one off and only when they can charge big bucks. We are concerned about maintaining or increasing AA work.

Kev3188 said:
10 holidays.
4'weeks vac., with the 5th recently restored for those with over 25 completed yrs. of svc....
Sick time and OJI time are combined into a bank called "PPT," and you can use it for day at a ti e vacation as well. We accrue 56 hours/year. You can bank up to 3 years worth. Anything over that either has to be cashed out or rolled into yet another bank intended for longer term absences...
Hope this helps...
Thanks for the info.
So, 3 more holidays.
Vacation is the same.
The sick time and OJI time bank is , imo , a vast improvement to what we have.
8 days a year that can be used as vacation, or rolled into a long term bank.

I would be all for our sick time being changed to that.

How about getting training off duty paid at 1.5, return of double time, and 80 day ID pay? Company forces people to burn their SK time and VC while on ID. If the company paid they wouldn't keep our guys out so long on ID waiting forever to clear.

A good friend of mines' brother is a 20 year AMT at Deltoid, he makes $40.94hr and just got a $10,000 profit sharing check. I will find out more.

I'm sure the TWu International will never be able to match it, they have never led, always followed. Then the worst failure in the industry jammed record concessions up our collective a$$e$ with only the threat of bankruptcy, "without further ratification" Jimmy Little said. Record setting concessions for what 12 years now?

Unprecedented TWu concessions for over a decade!!!!

Now a union buster like Wroble is gonna just give the AMTs' 7% over the Deltiod AMTs???

With the weakness of the two worst industrial company unions in a spineless "Association"???

Pardonnez-moi pendant que je essuie la merde mes bottles....

After watching that LAX town hall meeting, i am convinced that Isom and Wroble should be nominated for Oscars for their acting skills.  All that hot air, and not one honest answer.  My take away from the cryptic responses from Isom and Wroble was that we will not be getting our benefits restored.  They will up the pay, them put out on the company PR wire that the AA AMTs are now among the highest paid in the industry.  Never mind the fact that the AA AMTs only receive 5 paid holidays at 1.5 X pay, or about half as much as UAL % DAL.  Sick time accrual at the other airlines is twice what it is for AA's AMTs.  There is no half pay for the first day used when calling in sick at real airlines!  Who even thinks of shite like this? 

On another note, while watching the town hall meeting I noticed Wrobles emotionless face.  Skeletor has got nothing on this guy.  Understand this guy has the personatity of a Nazi death camp commandant.  Old DP knew what he was doing by bringing this hatchet man onboard. Skeletor.jpg

If the TWU doesn't get your benefits restored, tell them to pack sand.  It is not industry leading pay. And without the restoration of benefits it will never be an industry leading contract.  What is wrong with this union? They always seem to be focused on only pay, and this is how the co gets by with the worst bennies in the industry and still not industry leading pay.  Does anyone know when the DFW Town Hall will be and where??

OldGuy@AA said:
Obviously not familiar with their whole package but I do know they have at least 10 holidays, they get paid full sick time and have either 6 or 7 weeks of vacation (I think 7).  I don't know about their medical (I'd be real surprised if they paid more than we do) or their retirement.  The point is that I consider vacation, holidays and the rest as part of my pay.  For years we were told we had better benefits than they did so that justified our lower pay.  Now we have much less pay and the worst benefits in the industry.  The company should not be able to get it both ways.  Also in my opinion SCOPE has nothing to do with pay and benefits.  If everyone else is getting 7 weeks vacation and 10 holidays and full sick time regardless of SCOPE then that should be included with the pay raise.  Any TA that does not re-instate our concessions should be a resounding NO.   
We only get 5 weeks of vacation. 4 at 10 years and 5 at 25 years. 

*just* got the 5th week back (that use to be 15 or 16 years IIRC) i think less than a year ago. 

2ndGENAMT said:
We do some HMVs for MRO work. (lot of heavies for .gov) but don't do any on the Delta fleet. 
We do 
737,320, 757(two bays) 767 (two bays) 777(shares a 767 bay) c-checks in ATL 
MD88, MD90 c-checks in MSP. (I think its two bays). They are going to be doing the 717 c-checks and just opened a 330 service center this year (2015) for DL and HA 330 c-checks. 

FWIW CFM56-5B/7, PW2000, PW4000-94, CF6-80C2, CF34-3/8 and JT8D-219s are done in-house. PW4000-100, CF6-80E1, GE90, Trent 800, BR715s and V2500s are sent out. MD88/90, 737, 757, 767 landing gear done in-house, 320, 330, 717, 777, 744 sent out. 
737, 757/767 APU done in-house rest sent out. 

that most of the big ticket items. Some of the smaller things, some of T/Rs and seats are sent out. Most of the other small items are done in-house. 

Overspeed said:
Specific work has never been protected. The total amount has been and continues to be. If an airline buys new aircraft with engines that require half the amount of overhauls as the previous mode, what does that have to do with scope and outsourcing? The turbine shop is being downsized because MD80s are being parked. So are 757s. The new aircraft will not need engine overhauls for a while.

How many DL 767s did they do? The DL Tech Ops website says they do 3P work and I bet that Chilean plane was a one off and only when they can charge big bucks. We are concerned about maintaining or increasing AA work.
yeah its MRO overhauls if they are done. .gov for the US is a big one. We did some LAN overhauls on their 767s. UPS winglets. lot of HA work. other .govs 

but no Delta airframe is done in-house outside of a special thing. (Did a 757 overhaul a few years ago but it was a once off thing because it was new to the fleet and was going to require a ton of work plus mods, plus paint. No vendor wanted to touch it) 

CMH_GSE said:
Thanks for the info.
So, 3 more holidays.
Vacation is the same.
The sick time and OJI time bank is , imo , a vast improvement to what we have.
8 days a year that can be used as vacation, or rolled into a long term bank.

I would be all for our sick time being changed to that.
PPT is awesome. No questions asked. No doctors note. 
I would recommend it. 

Kev3188 said:
10 holidays.

Hope this helps...
It helps a bunch.  Thanks for the info.  

Thanks for the info Dawg..Growing up in College Park I have a lot of friends that rely on the health of DL and it seems that the operations there are ran somewhat effectively.

You say DL works smaller items just curious what that includes, we still do O2 and extinguishers, misc valves, starters, CSD slides and an assortment of small components but some of that work is for the most part drying up with MD 80 and 757 retirements and we may or may not do the new fleets unless we can bid competitively which is why I believe our Scope is so weak no matter what Overspeed says..Our Scope is no better than what DL has the only difference is we pay the TWU well for it!

They probably bid MRO work heavily with Global labor rates but I am sure they wouldn't hesitate to put DL techs on any job that needed it.

It would be interesting to see how DL Global rates compare to our OSM rate as my father makes $32 hr at global with no benefits.

Back