LCC fleet question: 319's

AAviator

Veteran
Nov 12, 2002
You guys are running a split operation... Was wondering how the 319's are divided up... Anyone have the numbers handy?

Thanks

come to think of it, does anyone have the fleet break down for both the east and west?

I know that the E/W fleet numbers were posted somewhere, and I will dig around to find them.
The West is primarily A/B, with the exception of a few 75's.

I count 39 West A319s and 54 East A319s.

50 West A320s and 22 East A320s

Not sure about the A321s as the West got them after the merger so I dont know tail #s, maybe an active employee can help out on this one.

I count 39 West A319s and

50 West A320s
Come to think of it, that sounds about right for the A319s.

The A321s on the West start at 507AY, and the AY suffixes continue until you get into the UW suffixes. Once the UW suffixes start, I don't think you'll be able to differentiate between East and West 321s based on tail numbers alone. I'd take a guess and say that the West has about 15 321s. The fleet minimum on the West is 122 airframes. The A320 number looks low but I counted the same number as you. I guess the West only has 50 320s. I thought there were more.

I counted them on the web page I posted the link too.

I also count 8 757s on the west.

I just recounted the A320s and come up with 49 West and 23 East for a total of 72, which matches the total.

Looking at the Airline Certificate, 700's numbers are about right for the 319's

http://av-info.faa.gov/detail.asp?DSGN_CODE=USAA&OPER_FAR=121&OPER_NAME=US+AIRWAYS+INC

yes and for the east 320s its in lower 100 range and for the 321s upper 100 range but i believe also some in the 500 range for tail numbers ill check tomorrow when im at work

30 - 321's
49 - 320's
38 - 319's
8 - 757's

Total = 125 airframes (which is the fleet minimum for the west)
1594 active pilots (79 furloughed)

Pre merger:

1950 active pilots (no furloughs) 146 airframes and 20 more on firm order.
And Ed Bular and Lyle Hogg were not in charge of AWA flight ops.

US Airways has been mixing up tail numbers lately so that makes it harder to tell which one is which. Just by looking at the ending two letter codes, one cannot tell 100% anymore which one is which. USA also has changed some tail numbers in order to be able to track the fleet better for TA deployement. Thus, all the A330s/76 and most 75 tail numbers were changed.

In the midst of changing the 75 tails they gave up, and just continued retrofitting 900 tail with winglets to be deployed to TA service. The west 75s were also supposed to be changed to 200some tails, but they did not follow through with that project. All 900 75s were to be non-etops designations under the combined tracking system, but I believe that once they wound up getting rid of all the non-etops 757-225s that once belonged to Eastern, they just stopped. Both east and west 757-225s were scrapped quickly getting rid of the need to keep a non-etops 75 fleet designator. Therefor the 75 fleet currently keeps a mix of 900 and 200 tail numbers. It would be neat if they would have continued with the project of making all etops capable aircraft 200 tails.

On the 320 family, A/C sporting IAE engines dubbed A3xx-x32 were and continue to be west metal, while GE sporting Airbus dubbed A3xx-x11, A3xx-x12 and A2xx-x14 were pre-merger US aircraft currently serving the east side of things. US Airways is currently only registering A/C under the tail numbers ending AY and UW. AW tail designations been discontinued post merger. I don't think that they are even assigning US tail codes anymore either.

The only way to distinguish clearly east vs west airbus narrow-bodys is by looking at the engine shape at the airport.

Reactions: 1 person