LCC Stock Plummeting again

westcoastflyer

Advanced
Aug 12, 2004
US Airways (LCC) stock is down to a little over $2.50 per share today; that's a staggering 73% drop in less than 2 months. It traded as high as $9.57 on 1-8-09. I know that the transport stocks have been very weak, but none have lost this much in value in such a short period of time. Shouldn't this be of great concern to the B.O.D. and the shareholders, and the employees of US Airways?

Pretty much every Airline stock has done the same in that timeframe. The BOD nor Parker can do anything to turn the economy around. If this were an isloated issue to LCC stock, that would be a different story...But it's not. :unsure:
FWIW, UA, DL, and AA were all over $10 a share, and they are now floating in the toilet right along with LCC....

To be clear I am very concearned about the economy but now would be a horrible time to make any major changes in leadership or direction. And FWIW Doug has shown when it comes to money and tough times he is at his best.

To be clear I am very concearned about the economy but now would be a horrible time to make any major changes in leadership or direction. And FWIW Doug has shown when it comes to money and tough times he is at his best.

FWIW...Doug has also shown that when it comes to running an airline he is the worst! :down:

FWIW...Doug has also shown that when it comes to running an airline he is the worst! :down:
I'd say he is pretty good a stripping an airline of assets while running it into the ground ... all the while using management resources to line his own pockets. <_<

I am cutting and pasting what I wrote in another thread. Someone had asked that very question. I believe that what I said there is the same thing the original poster is asking here.

I would say the answer is a resounding no. Who is the BOD. BOD president is your CEO Doug Parker. Vice Chair is Bruce Lakefield former US CEO. Some other characters include long time union buster CEO of BET Robert Johnson. Remember the slick deal to create DC Air that was suppose to assist US with a merger with UAL? How about the esteemed William Stephens that is with the Retirement systems of Alabama. Anyone remember who that is? Then there is Magdalena Jacobsen who serves on the National Mediation board. Does any of this sound like a conflict of interest? There are quite a few others that raise eyebrows but you get the picture. The intermingling of these folks is one very tight fraternity.

I don't think you will see any issues turn up in how the board sees your management team. They serve on each others boards for goodness sakes. They must figure a way to give out the almighty bonus at any cost.

The Chairman, and probably even the CEO, of an airline doesn't really need to be great at running an airline. I can easily forgive those shortcomings in Doug Parker simply because he is brilliant at the financial end of things, which is really the primary task of a Chairman/CEO.

But when the Chairman/CEO is NOT a good airline manager, he/she must have skills in choosing the President and various top level manager personnel. This is where Doug Parker has fallen flat on his face.

It's okay, Doug, if you can't, or don't want to, run the operational end of this show. Keep up the good money work. But hire some people that can, and want to, actually run the airline, and fire the ones you have now. They are clearly miserable failures, with few exceptions.

Can the BOD replace Obama? That would probably do more for the stock then anything Parker could do.
Hey yeah way to stay on topic and really contribute.

Shares hit as low as $1.76 during last summer's fuel crisis, so where we're standing now is not the lowest it's ever been but it is close. I don't foresee any of the airline's stock seeing real healthy recovery for some time, or anybody's for that matter.

Replacing the top dogs might do something to ease the crisis of confidence in US management but that does nothing to address the greater Crises of Confidence in this industry and the global economy which now share the majority impact on stock price.