Let's Be Real... Obama Is No Lincoln

dapoes

Veteran
May 17, 2008
All of the Lincoln comparisons really need to stop.
Cut-and-run Obama is no (Republican) Abe Lincoln.
He's just your typical Copperhead like the democrats of 1864.

Although the country's sacrifice was much greater in 1864 when 625,000 Americans lost their lives than in Iraq where we've lost 4,227 Americans, the democratic party and their leader Barack Obama remain the same.

Today's democrats are much like the copperheads of 1864 who quit then, too.

The book, Copperheads: The Rise an Fall of Lincoln’s Opponents in the North, by journalist-turned-academic-historian Jennifer Weber, shines the spotlight on the “Peace Democrats,â€￾ who did everything they could to obstruct the Union war effort during the Rebellion. In so doing, she corrects a number of claims that have become part of the conventional wisdom. The historical record aside, what struck me the most were the similarities between the rhetoric and actions of the Copperheads a century and a half ago and Democratic opponents of the Iraq war today...

It is certain that the Union soldiers tired of hearing from the Copperheads that the Rebels could not be defeated. They surely tired of being described by the Copperheads as instruments of a tyrannical administration trampling the legitimate rights of the Southern states. The soldiers seemed to understand fairly quickly that the Copperheads preferred Lincoln’s failure to the country’s success. They also recognized that the Copperheads offered no viable alternative to Lincoln’s policy except to stop the war. Does any of this sound familiar?

Today, Democratic opponents of the Iraq war echo the rhetoric of the Copperheads. As Lincoln was a bloodthirsty tyrant, trampling the rights of Southerners and Northerners alike, President Bush is the world’s worst terrorist, comparable to Hitler.

1864 Presidential Campaign
Republican Abraham Lincoln vs Democrat General George McClellan

By 1864, the Country had grown weary of the long and bloody Civil War. Hundreds of thousands of the countries' best and bravest young men had fallen on the fields of Bull Run, Antietam, Shiloh, and countless more. Many began to think that the war was not worth it, and the price of freedom too great. The Republican Presidential Candidate Abraham Lincoln thought no price was too great for the abolition of slavery and the creation of a society in which a man was not judged by the color of his skin. Unfortunately, after four long years of war, Lincoln's support was dropping fast, and people were looking for a way out of the war. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

With this backdrop, the Democratic Party chose General George McClellan to be their Presidential Candidate at the Chicago National Convention in 1864. The Democratic Party Platform presented a plan of "Compromise with the South", which became known as "The Chicago Platform". While on its surface the Chicago Platform was seductive in that it promised an immediate cessation of hostilities, and a restoration of the union. What was unsaid in the platform, but clearly implied, was that the "compromise" would be to agree to make permanent the institution of slavery in exchange for an end to the Civil War and restoration of the Union. In other words, the Democratic party was ready to "Sell Out" the enslaved, in order to stop further loss of white lives.

I believe he is trying to say that there are no alternative paths being offered that are preferable to the failed policies of the past 8 years and that barring any better alternatives we should continue on the current path since it has worked so well.

You better look further than eight years....didn't you hear the orchestra playing since before Clinton?

I don't know if you're aware but the entire government has been asleep at the wheel as far as this economic mess goes for some fifteen to twenty years.

Explain this current path working so well..... :huh:

We have been asleep since the end of WWII.

Dapos was only addressing Obama/Bush so that is as far as I went.

All of the Lincoln comparisons really need to stop.
You are on a roll again Ms. Dapoes. Three new anti-Obama thread topics in less than 24 hours.

Why don't you just open one on inauguration day saying "I hate Obama".

Then you can post away for the next 8 years.

By the way, it would seem that you are in the minority. :lol:

President-elect Barack Obama is riding a powerful wave of optimism into the White House, with Americans confident he can turn the economy around but prepared to give him years to deal with the crush of problems he faces starting Tuesday, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News Poll.

You are on a roll again Ms. Dapoes. Three new anti-Obama thread topics in less than 24 hours.

Why don't you just open one on inauguration day saying "I hate Obama".

Then you can post away for the next 8 years.

By the way, it would seem that you are in the minority. :lol:

I don't hate anyone actually. I choose to believe things when I see it, not just content with words and promises. Especially from politicians (who have no experience). The overwhelming gushing over a elected official is creepy. This isn't American idol. You may have blind faith in elected officials but not for me.

You must be referring to the raise I recieved as of 01/01/09 ! :shock:

A raise or pay restoration? You and I both know it's the latter.

I received one too.

Mine's guaranteed in a legally binding agreement. What's to keep DL from retracting yours?

Your unblemished track record of completely missing the point continues to astound...

Face the facts Boys and Girls.

Barack Obama is nothing more then Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II in blackface. The beauty of being Obama is he has no place to go but up. If the economy recovers quickly he will be hailed as the second coming. If OTOH the economy continues to falter people will say "Well he inherited a tough situation" vote him out after one term and the shark tank gets stirred and fresh bait (New Pres) added.

In my 54 years on earth we've had exactly two LEADERS at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. JFK and Ronald Reagan.

Sadly one of the ways you can tell they were actual leaders is that BOTH were shot at while in office. Unfortunately Mr Kennedy's wounds were fatal.

Please. JFK screwed up with Viet Nam and nearly blew us up with Cuba. Reagan was asleep the entire time.

If you say so. Who am I to argue.

Just look at your paycheck. If there is Federal Witholding from you check and you find nothing morally wrong with that fact then you've been brainwashed beyond anything I can say.

Enjoy your life as one of the "Sheeple"

How does the country run with out money? Who maintains the infrastructure? Defense? Public works projects?

Latest posts