Hell hath frozen?

UPNAWAY

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
DALLAS
From USToday

Bark With Bite: Airline Fees Creeping Up Now at Southwest

Southwest Airlines has been pitching itself as the “no hidden feeâ€￾ airline because the airline charges no change fees or penalties on tickets and lets you check two bags for free when you travel. But here come some changes. Today Southwest created a few new fees and raised some of the baggage charges it does have. It even used the favored words of airline executives: “create opportunities for incremental revenue growth.â€￾ Source: The Middle Seat Terminal, May 29

To make this US Airways related US is the acknowledged leader in fees and SWA is now emulating US.

I hardly think charging a fee for bringing pets on-board constitutes a hidden fee. And the same for increasing the cost to check a 3rd bag. Southwest emulating US.... :blink: :eye:

I hardly think charging a fee for bringing pets on-board constitutes a hidden fee. And the same for increasing the cost to check a 3rd bag. Southwest emulating US.... :blink: :eye:

But is this not how it started with all the traditional airlines? Tweek of a fee here and add fee there. Before you know it the bag fees will appear just like everywhere else.

Yep - soon as those execs start seeing the $$$ signs dancing in front of their faces, brand modeling pretty much goes out the window.

SWA better be careful. I think that phrase is the intellectual property of Parker, and he may have had it trademarked!

How can these new fees be considered "no hidden fees?" Technically, if you searched the US website, you were able to find that coke was $2 or a bag was $15, etc, not to mention the fact that the press releases were never ending with regards to the implementation of fees.

How are these new fees at Southwest less "hidden" than the fees are at the legacies?

IMO Southwest is riding out the "no bag fee" to see how it performs. It will take some time as many first time flyers are unaware of any fees for checked baggage. More and more people are talking and spreading the word about the dislike of fees so it will be interesting to see if the gamble pays off.

Also for years wasn't Southwest's policy no pets in the cabin? This is simply a change to allow pets now and charge accordingly. I dont consider that a hidden fee.

IMO Southwest is riding out the "no bag fee" to see how it performs. It will take some time as many first time flyers are unaware of any fees for checked baggage. More and more people are talking and spreading the word about the dislike of fees so it will be interesting to see if the gamble pays off.

Also for years wasn't Southwest's policy no pets in the cabin? This is simply a change to allow pets now and charge accordingly. I dont consider that a hidden fee.

Agreed, but why then is a $2 coke fee or a $15 bag fee at US or DL or UA considered a "hidden fee" when they are stated on the web site, as well as in press releases galore?

The hidden fee that irks me the most is the one that if you want to change your flight to a earlier/later flight if seats are open. Isn't it like $150-200 for that? I know that one isn't posted very visibly for the public to see. Almost as if they are setting you up and hoping for it.

The hidden fee that irks me the most is the one that if you want to change your flight to a earlier/later flight if seats are open. Isn't it like $150-200 for that? I know that one isn't posted very visibly for the public to see. Almost as if they are setting you up and hoping for it.
Nope, not true. After booking a dummy reservations at us.com, the following was stated, very clearly, before I even had to give a credit card number:

"Terms and Conditions
Ticket is non-transferable.
Ticket is non-refundable.
Unused tickets must be cancelled by midnight on the date of departure to retain value.
Any change to this reservation (including flight, dates, or cities) is subject to a $150.00 change fee per passenger. The new itinerary will be priced at the lowest available published fare at the time of change, which may result in a fare increase.
Ticket expires one year from original date of issue. Unflown value expires one year from original date of issue.
Checked baggage fees may apply.
Changes to the country of origin are not permitted, except for changes between the United States and U.S. territories.
All fares are subject to change until purchased.
Airline Ticket Protector purchase is a separate credit card transaction billed by Access America. Any claims and questions will be processed by Access America."

Not only does the website state what was quoted above, you, the consumer, have to click a box stating that you AGREE with the terms and conditions before proceeding. Doesn't get any less hidden than that, does it?

Further, on the previous page, when I first click on the flights I would like, it states, right next to the quoted price, taxes and baggage fees may apply. Again, waaay before I give US any of my money. In addition, next to the flight number I've chosen it gives me a Meal listing (if applicable): Inflight Cafe. If I click on that, it opens a page stating what will be offered, as well as the price.

How much more can people be spoon fed? Again, I fail to see how US' fees are "hidden" and WN's are not. You may not LIKE the fees, and feel you are being nickeled and dimed, but you are given ample time, before purchase, to turn back.

No fee should come as a complete surprise to you once at the airport, or onboard.

Exactly my point its in the fine print. Most people don't read it and thats what US is hoping for.

Exactly my point its in the fine print. Most people don't read it and thats what US is hoping for.
It's not fine print at all, it's in black and white, and the same font size as the rest of the website. Nothing fine print about it. Further, you have to click a box agreeing to these terms. There is no way to gloss over them. The fact that some people are lazy?

Not the airlines problem.

Again, please tell me how these fees are more hidden than the fees Southwest implemented today.

I was just on the new US Airways beta site and the "terms and conditions" are in smaller font than the rest of the page when purchasing a ticket online. And yes people are probably to lazy to read it. Nobody wants to read a saga of bs when they just want to purchase a ticket. US knows this and banks on it. Spirit airlines does the same thing.

I'll admit, I was using the old USAirways.com site, so I went to the beta site, and, even better! The Terms and Conditions are now listed, in the same font, before you enter any information, as well as after you enter your billing information. And, you still have to check a box saying you accept rules/ fees. Plenty of opportunities to turn back and head to southwest.com.

Since the Terms and Conditions are now available to you twice(first time in the same font!), I can't believe that any consumer responsible enough to have a credit card could miss the fare rules and fees, as well as sleep through the clicking of the "agree" box. I may be wrong. :lol: :blink: