Lga Today--the Pilot Takes A Stand

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I had an interesting experience arriving at LGA this afternoon. We pulled into gate 1 (by the fence) and waited for a few minutes. The door was opened and there was an agent at the door. There was however, no one to unload bags.

After a few minutes the one of the pilots challenged the agent waiting at the bottom of the stairs, asking why the passengers could not deplane. They had some words, which I did not hear all of, but I believe the gist was that the rampers assigned to do the bags were in the break room and that this was NY and the passengers could not deplane until their bags came out. The first officer then went down and started unloading bags. He later told me it had been like that all day long at LGA.

I was surprised that this happened, but rest assured as soon as the pilot started, the workers showed up out of the woodwork and the rest of the bags were unloaded promptly.

I commend the crew on this flight for what they did--the bottom line is that the customers got their bags...

My best to you all.....

good job . thats what its all about. at jetblue they would have and do the same. i have seen rampers at jetblue check px in for their flts. they do it all. they all work together. none of this " its my job ,don't do it "crap.

Let me ask you this, what would happen if the pilot herniated a disk while unload a bag?

You know what would happen, he would be SOL, because he was doing something that he should not have been and he would be out of work and pay the bills on his own.

700 has a point. I own a business and deal with worker's comp. I would think the company would be able to weasel out of paying a comp. claim, by claiming the pilot was performing a duty not in his job description.

700UW said:
Let me ask you this, what would happen if the pilot herniated a disk while unload a bag?

You know what would happen, he would be SOL, because he was doing something that he should not have been and he would be out of work and pay the bills on his own.
[post="256356"][/post]​

Only at US Airways. A company whom encourages its employees to pitch in would take care of the injured pilot. I'd bet LUV would...

700UW said:
Nothing like being proud of being a scab.
[post="256344"][/post]​

Ya know, I dont know the reason why the rampers werent there in this particular instance, but from experience in my station, a great deal of the time its the movie or game thats the problem.
I keep getting tired of hearing excuses for why a job isnt done. I know there are times when we are short or things dont work right, but from first hand experience, its all too common that someone has an excuse that doesnt cut it. :down:
Just do your damn job and there would be no reason to create the "scabs" you so despise. How about a little IAM motivation from the leaders?

700UW said:

[post="256356"][/post]​

Absolutely not true. The company is required by law to have workers comp insurance to cover any and all worker injuries. Typical rumor mongering.

Some people in LGA are not using their heads. The company is in survival mode. WTF do you think is going to happen if this continues? Point blank, this crap isn't going to be tolerated no matter where you work; in the airline industry or out. Unbelievable.

Oh yes it is true, there are many people at US Airways that get denied workers comp claims because they did not trip, slip or fall.

If a pilot is unloading a plane and management did not force him to that, he will not be covered, remember his pay stops when he pulls into the gate, if you are doing something not in your job scope, they will not cover the claim.

The point is 700UW...if the rampers would show up like there suppose to....we wouldn't be having this topic! If you show up for work...work it stupid!!!!! I really can't belive how some of you people think. None of us like it...if you drive to work, do you damn job. If you don't like it...:Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!!! I would love to show up in the cockpit maybe 10 minutes after departure time....I still think we have the "We showed them at Eastern" thinking. But then again what do you expect. Atleast the flight crews show up and we probably gave MORE then anybody!!! Get over it already! Your right, I see everyone doing everything at other carriers...I guess we think we are to important to help out to get things done. Bravo to the pilots getting things done rather then waiting for the rampers to finally getting to there job they are getting paid to do. And if they don't like the rate....move on!! Believe me, the company would be much better off without workers like this!! I'll do the same thing if I ever have to..at this time it still better then the alternative!! It's always easier looking for another job when you have one if you see fit!