PHL: City of no 'brotherly' bag love

Even today, one of the last of the traditional old-time mainline stations is PIT. Compare the demographics of the ramp workers in PIT with those of PHL and DCA.

Indeed, you get what you pay for.

You hit the nail right on the head but the penny pinching corporate management that runs this airline they are the ones the public needs to be pissed at! They continue to hire fast food help while wanting them to move 30 million dollar airplanes around the field packed with passengers who paided peanuts fares wondering if there bag made there flight. I guess that qoute goes both ways "you get what you pay for!"

If you accept the job with the salary known up front, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the employee to give 100%.
Unreasonable? No. But unrealistic (for very low-paying jobs)? Yes.

Let's assume at $8.00 an hour, he/she worked at 50%. Would raising the salary to $16.00 be enough incentive to get 100% out of them?
No. The person willing to work for $8 in the first place may very well be hopeless. But raising the salary would be enough to attract a better-qualified / more motivated person who would give more than 50%, who now works elsewhere because $8 isn't enough for him or her.

I agree. Working on the ramp, in reservations, and at the gate is technically considered an "entry level" job. Most people don't want to do that type of work the rest of their lives. If someone does want to do that--more power to them! But like all entry level jobs (retail, fast food, etc), the pay has to be low because of expected high turnover.
I doubt that even $20/hour would be an incentive for most people that keep doing these jobs for a long period of time. You see a lot of poor work ethics in most entry level jobs--it's just the way it is.

You must be new to the industry, these were NOT entry level jobs just a few years ago. It was a good paying career. You most certainly do get what you pay for! I wonder how much the company is really saving in the long run by paying fast food wages!

I wonder how much the company is really saving in the long run by paying fast food wages!

Good point.. Parker doesn't want to pay ramp a good wage .. say increase of 4 hr x 8 hrs = 32.00

1 lost bag/late bag ... delivery charge 50.00

damaged bag unknown cost.. thats what I can't figure out that Doug the great finance guy doesn't see that... Usairways pays Millions and millions on bag

claims a year and doesn't phase them abit, plus your probably lost that opportunity to have that person fly again.. repeat business (not in Usairways Vocabualary)

Well Mr. Parker been down that road.. when recession hits and the 1 time flyers stop flying you'll crying in your synergies trying to figure out what went wrong..

Well Mr. Parker been down that road.. when recession hits and the 1 time flyers stop flying you'll crying in your synergies trying to figure out what went wrong..
No he won't....when it gets to that point, he'll take his millions and run like those before him. No accountability there.

I suppose I don't understand. Why does the pay determine the quality or quantity of work performed. If you accept the job with the salary known up front, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the employee to give 100%.
Let's assume at $8.00 an hour, he/she worked at 50%. Would raising the salary to $16.00 be enough incentive to get 100% out of them? I would bet my next SS check it wouldn't. I was always led to believe an honest days work for an honest days pay.
Perhaps Philly needs a dose of work ethic and accountability for personal performance.
These are just the mindless ramblings of an old fart though.
You knew what the salary was on the BAC1-11/Convair240/DC-3.The wide body was a pipe dream for you how did ALPA and you get that pay rate? Would lowering your salary to E190 pay be enough incentive to get 100% out of you? This is Parkers dream. Or how about the A340 pay rate or the A350 let’s dumbie down the pay rate for all equipment to E190 pay and see what US attracts. It’s all-relative my hawker friend pilots are no exception

Not like you could fire him anyway, the union goons won't allow it.

He is a dues paying member, who cares if he is terrible.

Stick together.

All fleet service employees are “employed at willâ€￾ for 120 working days management negotiated this in the contract to allow probationary employees to pass managements assessment. During this probationary period management can determine there work ethics and can excised there discretions.

They continue to hire fast food help while wanting them to move 30 million dollar airplanes around the field packed with passengers who paided peanuts fares wondering if there bag made there flight. I guess that qoute goes both ways "you get what you pay for!"

First off, what a passenger pays should never determine whether or not they are treated with common decency. Secondly there are enough 'old timers' who can show a little initiative and point out the problems and get them removed or prevent the thefts from taking place, instead they turn a blind eye, or bid into positions where they do not have to see it and work with it.

Walk around the break rooms any evening at PHL, and you will find a segregated work force based on hire date! The new hires are the one's doing the stealing, but the Old-Timers run from it and hide in Zone 2 or other 'Retirement' Homes!

Secondly there are enough 'old timers' who can show a little initiative and point out the problems and get them removed or prevent the thefts from taking place, instead they turn a blind eye, or bid into positions where they do not have to see it and work with it.

The "old timers" in PHL are out numbered 10 to 1. Hell it only takes 1 1/2 years to get a day shift with partial weekend.
Who would you have us "point out the problems" to? A shift manager? A duty manager? The Ramp manager? The Station Manager? The VP of Customer Service? The VP of cultural integretion? I have personally gone to all of those people on several occasions and nothing gets done.

Now I just put in my 8 hours and go home.

The "old timers" in PHL are out numbered 10 to 1. Hell it only takes 1 1/2 years to get a day shift with partial weekend.
Who would you have us "point out the problems" to? A shift manager? A duty manager? The Ramp manager? The Station Manager? The VP of Customer Service? The VP of cultural integretion? I have personally gone to all of those people on several occasions and nothing gets done.

Now I just put in my 8 hours and go home.

A thing called vigilante justice. Take it into your own hands!

All fleet service employees are “employed at willâ€￾ for 120 working days management negotiated this in the contract to allow probationary employees to pass managements assessment. During this probationary period management can determine there work ethics and can excised there discretions.
Its tough to weed out the bad ones. They act like "SLEEPER CELLS" than after 120 days they are barbaric beasts!!!!!!

Latest posts