Lga Today--the Pilot Takes A Stand

How many of the rampers, as well as other employees, are just hanging around waiting for the buy out or layoffs? If you knew your days were numbered, would you care?
Also, a flight attendant stated here or on another site that if a flight attendant gets injured while helping the passengers put the luggage in the overhead, the company will not cover the flight attendant because it was not in their job description.

The customer always, always comes first.

Separately, if you're getting paid you should always do your best -- it's called professionalism versus entitlement.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Wow, I wasn't sure how I felt about unions until I read this thread. Now I see how unions come in the way of common sense, and I have really lost respect for them, seeing the twisted logic in this thread that completely defies good common sense and work ethic.

No in your case, it would be YOU always come first ALWAYS.

I know a CLT based F/A who injured her back while helping a passenger stow luggage and the OJI claim was denied.

PineyBob said:
BULL FECES! The customer comes first! We are supposed to wait around for a manager to come and roust the troops?

To actually remind them that they actually get paid to work? What a concept!

A customer who may have a tight connection has to wait and maybe misconnect at a huge cost to the company so your precious scope rules will be honored?

US Airways is in the dumper for a great many reasons. We just found another reason to add to the list. Hate to say it but Lakefields "Sense of Entitlement" comment was spot on.

Just a gentle reminder, customers don't care about Scope, unless it's on sale at Walgreens.
[post="256418"][/post]​

BULL FECES! The employees come first. Take care of the employees and the customers are automatically taken care of. This was said by none other than Herb Kelleher of Southwest airlines. Compare his track record at Southwest to the track record of the management losers at US. Do you really expect people to be motivated when they are paid $9.50 an hour part time in a place like LGA, DCA, and other places where the cost of living is high and the weather cold? At AA, they had some newhires (before they were laid off) that started at about $8/hr part time. They were in no hurry to get to the gate to meet the flight and some of them had a bad attitude.
But what can you expect with such low wages?

Man...you claim to be in the "know" and all the rest of the BS....I do believe in the "agreed" IAM Fleet Service Agreement that was signed in probably says that you will do you said job/work. Your right 700, if they would just do what they signed off on, atleast the majority. The pilot WOULDN'T have to unload bags. And belive me...I've been here probaly longer then you and know all about unions...and it's simple....you agree on the collective agreement and you work under it. Where does it say that you simply show up at you work place but then dog it!!! I truly think you need to go back and read the agreement. Instead of supporting something that is not supported in there contract. Maybe the flight crews should start signing in for trips the day before then show up at the airport and do nothing. Your right 700...sounds like your a great person to listen to!! And I'm glad you have so many "at-a-boys" in your file...how you got then is another story!! Just reading between the lines you can tell what kind of person you portray to be and love stirring the pot with your so-called knowledge! And before you go off the deep end by saying I called you something, I said you portay this kind of person. I think you love hearing yourself talk and how much you believe you know....If only I could be this intelligent!

Keep up the good work spinning everything you can...it is entertaining to read. The Delta board has someone just like you and it does get old!!!

Bottom line is...if you agree on a contract no matter how good or bad it is...you work under it or maybe you should have not signed off on it!! Or am I missing something.

Where do I get this training to open the door and lift bags down....

700UW said:
I dont see anywhere in the IAM Fleet Service agreement where is says a Pilot can unload an airplane, in LGA it is Fleet Service covered work.

So, and I appreciate the value of work AND a union..I REALLY do......Karen Black NEVER should have been allowed to pilot that crippled 747 headed for the ground. Excuse my age and lame references...but your fellow workers are failing. My wife and kid's medical coverage says I have to HELP you out. How about a heartfelt thanks and a kick in the butt to those dropping the ball. Its all about the job now, there is no stand to take against management, other than with a white scarf with a red dot on it wrapped around your forehead and a sharp knife. I hate this company, but its all I have. Another PHL fiasco will sink us all. This is not a dig a you personally.....do the job. Don't cheerlead, don't go out of your way to give 110%...just do the job. Best. Greeter.

u know one time i was working a flight in which i became ill. i was on the 757 working the a pos. a RAMPER!! who was nonreving on the flt got up and helped serve drinks to my f/c pax . at first i thought he was a f/a nonreving but then he told me he was a ramper. i couldn't have been more apreceative of his efforts to help out. thats called teamwork. and i did not give a hoot that he was a RAMPER. this is when we had 24 pax up frnt. so don't give me your collective bargaining agreement hoopla

Heinrich said:
Wow, I wasn't sure how I felt about unions until I read this thread. Now I see how unions come in the way of common sense, and I have really lost respect for them, seeing the twisted logic in this thread that completely defies good common sense and work ethic.
[post="256422"][/post]​
Well, look at CO after Lorenzo busted the unions there. He busted the unions shortly after he got a hold of CO in 1982. During the Lorenzo reign at CO, from the early 1980s to the late 1980s, he paid the employees whatever he desired. This was 50% less than the employees at the other airlines were making with NO benefits or retirement and he treated them like dog crap. It was so bad, they were ashamed to be seen in their CO uniforms. But also during this time CO consistantly had the worse service, they were at the very bottom. It was so bad that the business flyer would not fly them and CO declared bankruptcy twice. So explain why the service was so bad at CO AFTER Lorenzo had rid CO of the unions. As a side note, before Lorenzo took over CO, they had very good service from what I was told.

funguy2 said:
Only at US Airways. A company whom encourages its employees to pitch in would take care of the injured pilot. I'd bet LUV would...
[post="256358"][/post]​
Thats a bet you'd lose

Another thing is Southwest Airlines is the highest paid in the industry and the highest percentage of unionized workers in the industry.

Hmm, highest paid, highest unionized and most profitible.

Gee that throws a monkey wrench into someone's thought process.

700UW said:
I dont see anywhere in the IAM Fleet Service agreement where is says a Pilot can unload an airplane, in LGA it is Fleet Service covered work.

I don't see in the ALPA agreement where it give your scope language the loading or unloading of an airplane.

See you never worked with me nor do you know me, go ask any of my supervisors and you will hear nothing but glowing reports.

And don't worry, I could not work with a company suck up and someone who does not support organized labor.

You would not have what you have if it was not for the battles fought for by union members before us.

If the FAA did not require a F/A, trust me the company would replace them with a coke machine.

You have no idea what it means to be a union member, not a member of a union.
[post="256408"][/post]​

The work ethic you advocate, even though contractual, is one of the reasons USAirways is in dire straits right now. The dinosaur is dead, and so is the old "I only do my own work" union hardline. Simply doesn't cut it any longer, even if the airline were (God forbid) profitable.

Success=do what it takes to get the job done safely and efficiently and keep the customers happy. It's time to move on there 700, one way or another.

700UW said:
Another thing is Southwest Airlines is the highest paid in the industry and the highest percentage of unionized workers in the industry.

Hmm, highest paid, highest unionized and most profitible.

Gee that throws a monkey wrench into someone's thought process.
[post="256447"][/post]​
No. actually no wrench involved. You simply did not get hired by SWA, nor did you choose the mangement at U. You are HERE and have to make a choice to work or not. SWA is profitable becuase they have a good business model. I can ASSURE you the work rules (of at least ALPA) have nothing to do with their success. Greeter

Your right...I wasn't going to mention SWA....but you exactly right. Well unionized...and they ALL chip in. I can bet they don't sit 100 feet from the gate waiting for thet "special" person to park us. They all chip in and do the job. I wonder if they realize that "chipping" in probably isn't in the IAM collective agreement. They really don't care who is labeled to do a job...they just get it done. What a concept. I bet their rampers aren't sitting in the break room...and don't give me the BS about work attitude and such that you love to throw out...it's in the working agreement and they do what needs done. Airtran is the same way...they all chip in.hmmmmm, maybe theye are on to something. get the job done, make the pax happy and maybe, just maybe they will be back. Maybe enough of them will come back and you can make your mortgage payment another month. What a concept 700...not getting to deep here am I?? No I love your theory better..."Don't help out...not in the agreement". This is why unions are thought of the way they are!! If it's not in the agreement maybe there should be a side letter letting us who still care about this compant the right and tools we need to get the job done. Now that's unionism for you...how about 700. I truly think you've heard yourself way to much...you've even convinced yourself. LOL!!

Latest posts

Back