Life after the airline

safety stud

Senior
Apr 6, 2006
Visit site
Guess what people, there is life after you leave the airline... and it's all good....
It has been about a month and a half since I left... I am sleeping better... I am alot calmer... No stress... It's all good...

When you put your mind to the idea of leaving, you aren't sure whether you can make it work. You have always been of the mindset that the airline is the do all end all of the world... It's not... I actually feel sorry for my friends who continue to strugle getting to work... I look at the weather channel and say to myself, look honey, the weather is c**p in the east, aren't you glad I'm not flying!... Wow, what a difference...

Hope all is well with all of you... If you are thinking of retiring... One word of advice to you.... Just do it....

Just my opinion...

I also left several months ago and it was one of the hardest decisions I have made. I kept thinking about the good aspects of the "lifestyle" that I had grown accustomed to and was afraid I wouldnt like anything else. Not true. After I left I discovered it was the ugly side of the "lifestyle" that was killing me. Now:

I sleep SO much better that I actually feel rested

I eat better and I have actually lost weight as a result

I dont get sick as often

I have more energy and better outlook on life

I actually turn off my phone every night and dont jump whenever my phone rings

I dont miss a family or fun event that I want to attend (although I cant use the airline as an excuse anymore for those I DONT want to attend)

I can plan things like appointments, little trips, home improvements and lunches with friends

I am nicer. The passengers arent draining me as I helplessly tried to please them. I have more energy to be nicer to those I really care about and even to those I dont even know.

I have much less anxiety due to more control over my life. I never realized how much control I gave the airline....when I eat, when and how much I sleep etc. Being on call 24 hours a day for 6 days in row simply handed over too much of my life to a entity which didnt care one iota about me as a person.

I cant believe I lasted as long as I did. I don't regret working for the airline. I learned a lot of valuable lessons in dealing with management which cant manage and doesn't care about its people; in how to handle difficult situations when dealing with passengers; and in working with diverse crews and to accomplish a goal. All valuable lessons which translate to other occupations. I do miss my airline friends though. Great people.

For me; leaving was a wise decision, but very difficult. I don't do 9-5 so I don't feel trapped. For anyone considering leaving, I encourage you to think about what the airline takes from you and how you are compensated for that. Everyone's different.

Good luck to all!

:) Jan 15 2010 was my last day at pdt.I now work part time at lowes less than 3 miles from home.No more driving 65 miles a day roundtrip to roa.I look forward to going to lowes as i like the interaction with people.The gang back at roa says they wish they could also leave.I now have time for fixing up the house, planting trees,working on friends cars and not having to get up at 5:30am.

Living simple for most of my life is now paying off.No mortgage,no loans of any sort,no credit card balances carried over,no car payments.Yet we have traveled to europe,mexico,hawaii,and the caribbean many times.I still have other problems like many people,but money problems are not among them. so long for now,retired at 62 and loving it.

Reactions: 1 person
Guess what people, there is life after you leave the airline... and it's all good....
It has been about a month and a half since I left... I am sleeping better... I am alot calmer... No stress... It's all good...

When you put your mind to the idea of leaving, you aren't sure whether you can make it work. You have always been of the mindset that the airline is the do all end all of the world... It's not... I actually feel sorry for my friends who continue to strugle getting to work... I look at the weather channel and say to myself, look honey, the weather is c**p in the east, aren't you glad I'm not flying!... Wow, what a difference...

Hope all is well with all of you... If you are thinking of retiring... One word of advice to you.... Just do it....

Just my opinion...
That's great for you.. did you retire or get another job? I think about leaving also.. still really like the time off at the airline

I left during the big buy out of '05. I have little regret about leaving. The only thing is I don't make nearly the money I was making but I am 10X's happier. I have been sick 2 times since '05 compared to 2X's+ a year back in the airport days. I would not do anything different if I had it to do over.

Such wonderful posts and encouragement.
Have been seeking for 2.5 years...One day I too will post...
My hardship is getting full healthcare- esp @ p/t..

I do need to leave, would love to work 4-5 hrs per day..as long as the next employer provides hc Im history..
Re vamped my resume and cover letter..

20 plus years is all's I can stand I can't stand anymore..

Watching the incompetance., bidding half @ss vacations, working every single holiday, and now middle mgmt really hosed the agents by putting out a crapola work sked.

to get wknds off, I had to bid nites..Im in for me..not them..

Good Luck to all of you!

Violet and Safety Stud,

Please allow me to present a counterpoint to your experiences. I've been on the road the better part of the last ten years. The last 12 months not so much. So if I may i'd like to offer a counter balance.

I also left several months ago and it was one of the hardest decisions I have made. I kept thinking about the good aspects of the "lifestyle" that I had grown accustomed to and was afraid I wouldnt like anything else. Not true. After I left I discovered it was the ugly side of the "lifestyle" that was killing me. Now:

I sleep SO much better that I actually feel rested I Agree, strange bed no matter how "Heavenly" isn't your own.

I eat better and I have actually lost weight as a result OMG I went from 268 to 238, no question

I dont get sick as often - can't comment as I haven't been sick much

I have more energy and better outlook on life - Kinda Neutral on my part.

I actually turn off my phone every night and dont jump whenever my phone rings - No change here as I have friends across the nation who "forget" things like time zonez and I've
trained" myself accordingly

I dont miss a family or fun event that I want to attend (although I cant use the airline as an excuse anymore for those I DONT want to attend) - As a biz traveler this was never an issue

I can plan things like appointments, little trips, home improvements and lunches with friends - A big plus i agree

I am nicer. The passengers arent draining me as I helplessly tried to please them. I have more energy to be nicer to those I really care about and even to those I dont even know. Not an issue here. Although it easier to address customer concerns face toface instead of from a hotel room in SEA

I have much less anxiety due to more control over my life. I never realized how much control I gave the airline....when I eat, when and how much I sleep etc. Being on call 24 hours a day for 6 days in row simply handed over too much of my life to a entity which didnt care one iota about me as a person.

I cant believe I lasted as long as I did. I don't regret working for the airline. I learned a lot of valuable lessons in dealing with management which cant manage and doesn't care about its people; in how to handle difficult situations when dealing with passengers; and in working with diverse crews and to accomplish a goal. All valuable lessons which translate to other occupations. I do miss my airline friends though. Great people.

For me; leaving was a wise decision, but very difficult. I don't do 9-5 so I don't feel trapped. For anyone considering leaving, I encourage you to think about what the airline takes from you and how you are compensated for that. Everyone's different.

Good luck to all!

i think it's safe to say that life on the road is tough and be it employee or customer it isn't easier. I hope through this post those of you who work for an airline will gain some insight as i know I have from all of you. For those who have chosen to move on I can't say I blame you. However walk away knowing that one customer actually gave a damn.
Bob

This is such a positive, empowering post. I only hope it will help those who feel so beaten down and need a push. I too took the 05 buyout and was able to retire.
I was VERY lucky I had gone back to school the last 5 years and furthered my education with two advanced degrees.
I too thought I could NEVER again work 5 days a week, but much to my happy surprise ~~ Its FANTASTIC. Normalized schedule, I can make plans, feel rested and truly feel like I am contributing a HELL of alot more than I did working at US. Also now have 4 weeks vacation , holidays, sleep is back to normal. This after 25 years of feeling sleep deprived, lethargic and always trying to catch up. Only been sick 3x in 5 years and feel and LOOK so much better.
If someone - anyone, decides to move on and change their life, be planful ( yes IT is a word ) don't rush into it. Know that life IS much better not working for an airline that has beaten down its employees and making many, of not MOST, feel like they are being abused and victimized. Break away from the abuser. Its NEVER too late!!!
Good Luck to all.

If someone - anyone, decides to move on and change their life, be planful ( yes IT is a word ) don't rush into it. Know that life IS much better not working for an airline that has beaten down its employees and making many, of not MOST, feel like they are being abused and victimized. Break away from the abuser. Its NEVER too late!!!
Good Luck to all.

Well said! I'm happy that you moved on. The part of your post that I think is most important is regarding planning your "escape". Years back I left Xerox after 12 years of being a square peg in a round hole. I've had career up and downs to be sure, but I think I likely prolonged my life.

I always joke that I did "A twelve year stretch at Xerox and was paroled in 1992" It's good for a laugh until you say that to another former Xerox employee and you get that knowing nod. It's kinda like the bond between Viet Nam vets.

The key is as you've stated. PLANNING! PLANNING! PLANNING. Or put another way, Prior Proper Planing Prevents Pizz Poor Performance. Or as we said at Xerox, Plan your work and work your plan.