Looks Like a Bonus for Feb

Sorta off topic, but I can envision the day when all FF perks will be based on spend instead of miles. Or more correctly, based on profitability to the airline since someone can spend a lot on cheap tickets while someone else spends less but only buys full fare coach or first.

Jim

Sorta off topic, but I can envision the day when all FF perks will be based on spend instead of miles. Or more correctly, based on profitability to the airline since someone can spend a lot on cheap tickets while someone else spends less but only buys full fare coach or first.

Jim

Back in the day (1986 or 1987) when America West Airlines first introduced it's frequent flyer program it was called FlightBank (later FlightFund) and was based on $$ spent, not mileage, as I recall.

Who cares?

They underpromise and overdeliver. US has a bad habit over overpromising, charging for basic services, and underdelivering.
Who Cares ? How about LUV passengers that have to wait for their baggage to be unloaded, and then Lug it over to their next flight...Maybe all the airlines should quit transferring bags.

How about LUV passengers that have to wait for their baggage to be unloaded, and then Lug it over to their next flight...
Apparently even they don't care that much - US got 4X as many complaints about baggage as WN in the latest DOT report despite US carrying slightly more than 1/2 as many passengers. So while US had a baggage complaint ratio of 2.08 per 1 million passengers, WN's rate was 0.28 per million.

Jim

You don't get it--they don't see codeshares, they don't sell interlining. US does.
Are you trying to tell me that SW has NO passengers that fly to a destination, and then transfer to another airline to get to their final destination ?
If you are, then you are truly clue(less).

One things for sure, some look at SW management as Deity,
Looks to me like SW is getting more and more like those evil legacy carriers every day.

Are you trying to tell me that SW has NO passengers that fly to a destination, and then transfer to another airline to get to their final destination ?

Not what clue said at all. I quote - "they don't sell interlining" (though I suspect that will change for the upcoming codeshare partner's flights, when WN will sell interlining on only those carriers and interline the bags).

Currently, anyone flying WN to one airport then using a different carrier to continue their trip travels on separate tickets - one for the WN flight(s) and the other for the other airline's flight(s). They didn't purchase an interline ticket so have no expectation that their checked bags will be interlined.

Jim

Not what clue said at all. I quote - "they don't sell interlining" (though I suspect that will change for the upcoming codeshare partner's flights, when WN will sell interlining on only those carriers and interline the bags).

Currently, anyone flying WN to one airport then using a different carrier to continue their trip travels on separate tickets - one for the WN flight(s) and the other for the other airline's flight(s). They didn't purchase an interline ticket so have no expectation that their checked bags will be interlined.

Jim
How do you "sell" interlining ? Either you interline or you don't.
I know people that flew on Southwest and they did expect their bags to be transfered.[I know, I know, They should of known better..

How do you "sell" interlining ?

Are you serious? If I buy a ticket from from US for a trip PHL to FSD (Sioux Falls), and the ticket is for a US flight from PHL-DEN and a UA flight DEN-FSD, hasn't US sold me a ticket that entails interlining?

Try that on WN and you can't do it. You can buy a WN ticket PHL-DEN and a UA ticket DEN-FSD, but not a single ticket PHL-DEN-FSD.

Maybe those people you know were the two that filed complaints about WN in Feb for baggage problems. You're right though, having had to buy two tickets for one trip (1 WN and 1 other carrier) should have been a tip-off that they'd have to transfer their own bags.

Jim

Are you serious? If I buy a ticket from from US for a trip PHL to FSD (Sioux Falls), and the ticket is for a US flight from PHL-DEN and a UA flight DEN-FSD, hasn't US sold me a ticket that entails interlining?

Try that on WN and you can't do it. You can buy a WN ticket PHL-DEN and a UA ticket DEN-FSD, but not a single ticket PHL-DEN-FSD.

Maybe those people you know were the two that filed complaints about WN in Feb for baggage problems. You're right though, having had to buy two tickets for one trip (1 WN and 1 other carrier) should have been a tip-off that they'd have to transfer their own bags.

Jim
Sorry you had to type 3 sentences for nothing,
Again, either an airline interlines or they DON'T ..

And YES, you are Correct, they should of know about the "two tickets for 1 Trip" ...You see, they were both retired and previously flown only twice before.[Not what you call veteran fliers].

Sorry you had to type 3 sentences for nothing,
Again, either an airline interlines or they DON'T ..

You'll notice that I didn't disagree with that part. It was the "How do you 'sell' interlining" part that my post was directed at (I thought only quoting that part of your post would be a tipoff). Since you skipped right over that, I guess the 3 sentences were for nothing since you don't appear to be interested in the answer to your question.

Since you're stuck on the "an airline interlines or they DON'T" I'll say outright - you're correct. WN chooses not to offer interline tickets, doesn't say that they will interline bags, and don't interline bags. They deliver exactly what they say they'll deliver - no interlining. If you want to interline and have your bags transferred for you buy a ticket on another carrier, pay the checked bag fees, and hope your bag shows up at your final destination.

Jim

Interlining agreements are cumbersome and fairly expensive to maintain due to the added operational needs of moving baggage. There's also the additional training the agents needs to issue/reissue and deal with tickets of other carriers.

SWA saves a potload of money by having no interline agreements. Most passengers understand the limitations.

Two big disadvantages that the less-frequent SWA passengers know can really bite them in the tush.

If SWA cancels, you may be stuck. They cannot, and will not, rebook you on another carrier to get you where you need to go...even if the airplane (from another carrier) across the concourse is going the same place in the next hour. Too bad for you...fend for yourself. Maybe you can get on that other carrier's airplane if you pay the exorbitant walkup fare. How much money have you saved now?

The other disadvantage to no interline agreements (from a passenger standpoint) can be the wide-eyed stare one acquires when you arrive at destination, having cleverly beat the system by purchasing those two tickets and connecting, say, in BWI. When you find out your luggage is on the carousel at the connecting airport, and that you needed to collect it and recheck in, all that money you saved seems small (since no one is going to GET that bag for you and deliver it to your hotel in your destination city.) You can retrieve it on your way back through after your vacation is over. (I actually had to explain that to a passenger once who had "beat the system" by using SWA for part of her trip. Sad.)

Latest posts