Looks Like Amfa, Throwing In The Towel

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Pensions: Will the money be there? (subscription)
September 26, 2004
H.J. Cummins, Star Tribune

Charles Slay turns 55 on Oct. 4. Twenty-five days later he'll pick up his tool case, walk out of Northwest Airlines maintenance Hangar B for the last time and begin collecting a monthly pension of $1,200.

That's about $1,600 a month less than Slay would have received if he'd stayed at Northwest until age 62. But after 25 years as a mechanic, Slay is ready to go home to Atlanta. And given the precarious financial condition of Northwest and other major airlines, he figures a reduced pension now is better than the uncertainty that lies ahead.

"I decided to get out ahead of all that rigmarole," Slay said.

Pensions are the sacred promise of a decent retirement for airline employees. But for Northwest and other major airlines, which collectively have lost more than $23 billion since 2000, they have become a multibillion-dollar burden.

"We have to protect our retirees and those retiring in the near future," said Jim Atkinson, president of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) Local 33 at Northwest. "But for future generations, like mine, I think we might want a different plan, one we can control and one we can take with us if we get laid off."

While Many of the Unions and Associations are fighting to retain their Pensions Amfa is willing to throw in the towel! What was Delle's Quote: Gut the Pension at United? Here is another prime example of Amfa at its best with Management!

And this surprises you? AMFA leader in outsourcing, furloughs, bankruptcies, and now bye bye pensions....but never a concession...HAHAHA...phony bunch of idiots.

Checking it Out said:
Pensions: Will the money be there? (subscription)
September 26, 2004
H.J. Cummins, Star Tribune

Charles Slay turns 55 on Oct. 4. Twenty-five days later he'll pick up his tool case, walk out of Northwest Airlines maintenance Hangar B for the last time and begin collecting a monthly pension of $1,200.

That's about $1,600 a month less than Slay would have received if he'd stayed at Northwest until age 62. But after 25 years as a mechanic, Slay is ready to go home to Atlanta. And given the precarious financial condition of Northwest and other major airlines, he figures a reduced pension now is better than the uncertainty that lies ahead.

"I decided to get out ahead of all that rigmarole," Slay said.

Pensions are the sacred promise of a decent retirement for airline employees. But for Northwest and other major airlines, which collectively have lost more than $23 billion since 2000, they have become a multibillion-dollar burden.

"We have to protect our retirees and those retiring in the near future," said Jim Atkinson, president of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) Local 33 at Northwest. "But for future generations, like mine, I think we might want a different plan, one we can control and one we can take with us if we get laid off."
While Many of the Unions and Associations are fighting to retain their Pensions Amfa is willing to throw in the towel! What was Delle's Quote: Gut the Pension at United? Here is another prime example of Amfa at its best with Management!
[post="184990"][/post]​

Well how well did the TWU Pan Am workers make out? For years the TWU told the workers to give concessions to "save the pension", then after Pan Am decided to no longer fund the pension anyway they told them to take concesions to "save their jobs".

Pan Am workers ended up with pennies on the dollar and less years available to put in somewhere else.

The TWU has never seen a concession they did not like!

October 04, 2004 11:31 AM US Eastern Timezone

Strike Possibility Increases as Independence Air Mechanics Ask for Release from Stalled Mediation

LACONIA, N.H.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 4, 2004--The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) today said that following Independence Air's refusal to present a meaningful comprehensive economic proposal at the bargaining table, AMFA has requested a release from the National Mediation Board's (NMB) Mediation Services, seriously increasing the possibility of a strike.

"The Company has consistently refused to present a comprehensive economic proposal and has completely ignored multiple good-faith AMFA proposals put forward since August 17," said AMFA Region III Director Kevin Wildermuth. "You can't have effective negotiations if only one party is willing to negotiate."

Wildermuth said on Wednesday, September 22, the Company presented a piece-meal proposal on only a few issues and stated that they could not agree to economics until the number of issues was reduced. Yet on March 10, 2004, the Company said they "didn't want to negotiate in the blind" and would not agree to these very same issues until economic costs were established. "In light of the Company's 180-degree flip-flop, it is strikingly obvious that their latest proposal was just another stalling tactic to delay making the economic proposal needed to move this process forward. AMFA believes it is high time for both parties to deal with the comprehensive package."

"After more than two years of negotiations and patiently enduring numerous delays, we believe this process should be moved to completion, and accordingly, we had no responsible alternative but to ask for a release from the mediation process," said Wildermuth. AMFA held informational meetings at Independence Air's three largest maintenance stations and found overwhelming membership support for the release request, which, if granted, automatically initiates a 30-day countdown to a strike.

Decision 2004 said:
October 04, 2004 11:31 AM US Eastern Timezone

Strike Possibility Increases as Independence Air Mechanics Ask for Release from Stalled Mediation

LACONIA, N.H.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 4, 2004--The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) today said that following Independence Air's refusal to present a meaningful comprehensive economic proposal at the bargaining table, AMFA has requested a release from the National Mediation Board's (NMB) Mediation Services, seriously increasing the possibility of a strike.
"The Company has consistently refused to present a comprehensive economic proposal and has completely ignored multiple good-faith AMFA proposals put forward since August 17," said AMFA Region III Director Kevin Wildermuth. "You can't have effective negotiations if only one party is willing to negotiate."

Wildermuth said on Wednesday, September 22, the Company presented a piece-meal proposal on only a few issues and stated that they could not agree to economics until the number of issues was reduced. Yet on March 10, 2004, the Company said they "didn't want to negotiate in the blind" and would not agree to these very same issues until economic costs were established. "In light of the Company's 180-degree flip-flop, it is strikingly obvious that their latest proposal was just another stalling tactic to delay making the economic proposal needed to move this process forward. AMFA believes it is high time for both parties to deal with the comprehensive package."

"After more than two years of negotiations and patiently enduring numerous delays, we believe this process should be moved to completion, and accordingly, we had no responsible alternative but to ask for a release from the mediation process," said Wildermuth. AMFA held informational meetings at Independence Air's three largest maintenance stations and found overwhelming membership support for the release request, which, if granted, automatically initiates a 30-day countdown to a strike.
[post="187721"][/post]​

When was the last time the TWU asked to be released to self help at AA?

Try 1969!

TWU, 21 years of Industry Leading Concessions!

Well, I work at NW, and if given the choice between a pension and a (decent) 401k match by the company, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat. I think this is what Atkinson was inferring......

I've known Jim Atkinson for years and there is no one at NWA less likely to 'throw in the towel' on any issue. I realize that it might be hard for those in the TWU, the union that INVENTED concessions, to understand, but being willing to look at other options doesn't equal surrender. Especially if you're looking at plans that management CAN'T use as a slush fund, as ALL airlines do currently.

Latest posts