Machinists Union Merger Update

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
September 26, 2005

Dear US Airways Sisters and Brothers,

On September 16, 2005, US Airways’ Plan of Reorganization was approved by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court. This was the last major hurdle to the airline exiting bankruptcy and completing its merger with America West Airlines.

Integrating workforces and merging the two carriers’ operations, however, will continue for some time. It is important for IAM members to understand the forthcoming integration process and what to expect.

The Machinists Union and US Airways have already begun negotiating a transition agreement. Upon US Airways’ emergence from bankruptcy the IAM will file a petition with the National Mediation Board for a ruling that the two carriers are operating as a single transportation system. Once that happens, the IAM will be certified as the representative of both the Mechanic & Related and Fleet Service workforce on the merged carrier. This will pave the way for integrating the employees of both airlines under the current IAM agreements.

It is the position of the Machinists Union that employee groups should be merged based on the individual’s date of entry into a particular classification at their respective carriers. In our opinion, this recognizes the seniority of employees at both airlines and is the only fair way for everyone involved. This is how seniority integration was handled at PSA Airlines and Piedmont Airlines.

As the surviving carrier, US Airways’ agreements will prevail regardless of the designated representative. However, if another labor organization interferes with the process, the integration may not go smoothly. US Airways employees, as they are generally more senior to their AWA counterparts, may risk a loss of seniority under another union's integration policy.

If a representation election is called and less than 50 percent +1 of the combined workforce, including furloughed employees, fails to vote, there will be no union, no contract and US Airways will have the unrestricted ability to impose any wages, benefits and employment terms it wants, including elimination of seniority provisions.

IAM members have nothing to gain with an election, but there is much to lose.

To help keep employees of both carriers informed throughout the transition process, the Machinists Union has dedicated a page on our website for the latest US Airways-America West merger information, www.goiam.org/usairways.

As this process moves forward, you can be assured that the Machinists Union will always protect the best interests of the membership.

Sincerely and fraternally,

William O'Driscoll
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING
GENERAL CHAIRMAN
DISTRICT LODGE #142

Randy Canale
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING
GENERAL CHAIRMAN
DISTRICT LODGE #141

700UW said:
The Machinists Union and US Airways have already begun negotiating a transition agreement. Upon US Airways’ emergence from bankruptcy the IAM will file a petition with the National Mediation Board for a ruling that the two carriers are operating as a single transportation system. Once that happens, the IAM will be certified as the representative of both the Mechanic & Related and Fleet Service workforce on the merged carrier. This will pave the way for integrating the employees of both airlines under the current IAM agreements.

As the surviving carrier, US Airways’ agreements will prevail regardless of the designated representative. However, if another labor organization interferes with the process, the integration may not go smoothly. US Airways employees, as they are generally more senior to their AWA counterparts, may risk a loss of seniority under another union's integration policy.

If a representation election is called and less than 50 percent +1 of the combined workforce, including furloughed employees, fails to vote, there will be no union, no contract and US Airways will have the unrestricted ability to impose any wages, benefits and employment terms it wants, including elimination of seniority provisions.

IAM members have nothing to gain with an election, but there is much to lose.

As this process moves forward, you can be assured that the Machinists Union will always protect the best interests of the membership.

Sooooo......The IAM is looking out for it's fellow "union brothers"...LOL....Don't get me wrong, I feel senority should rule in the intergration of the groups...that is the only fair way to do it....BUT, Look at the wording of this letter from the IAM.....same old scare tactics, BLAHHH....BLAH....BLAH.....NOTHING positive, only looking out for their own self interests, as usual....and, look who posted it....the BLOWHORN for the IAM himself..........drumroll, please........700!!!!!!!!!!! The man who thinks he will someday be somewhere in the ranks of the..."ELITE UNION GODS"!!!!!!!! LMFAO.....

• Banned
Can you ever post without calling someone names, attacking or insulting?

You lose all credibility with your behavior.

700UW said:

[post="305859"][/post]​
I NEVER called you anything.......Can you EVER respond without using the words "attacking", or "insulting"????

I was merely pointing out the same old behaviour of the IAM......"Threats"..."intimidation", and the same old BS.....Glad to see NOTHING has changed.....As well as you continuing to be their mouthpiece!!

• Banned
NeedForSpeed said:
I NEVER called you anything.......
[post="305866"][/post]​
What do you call the following?

NeedForSpeed said:
look who posted it....the BLOWHORN for the IAM himself..........drumroll, please.......700!!!!!!!!!!!  The man who thinks he will someday be somewhere in the ranks of the..."ELITE UNION GODS"!!!!!!!!   LMFAO.....
[post="305857"][/post]​

NeedForSpeed said:
As well as you continuing to be their mouthpiece!!
[post="305866"][/post]​

Memory problems? Comprehension problems? Or both?

The proof is in the post!

700UW said:

[post="305859"][/post]​

Good Luck U Employees

To the ones who stayed hoping they would have a job in the future, my hat is off to you hearty souls. I know very well what uncertainty and instability can do to a person. It rattles your very soul and why I left before many did. I sincerely hope you people are able to finish out your careers at this new airline of many beginnings. Working there has left an imprint in my being that has changed me in ways that would never have occurred had I not been part of it all. The airline employees are a breed of strong willed aviations filled enthusiasts who go for the ride no matter if it’s smooth or bumpy and most have fun doing it. When the fun left, I did too but many of you stayed on and to you I salute and wish you all the best for your futures.

Curt Ex U Mechanic

You guys are amazing. The head of IAM states in his memo if another union "interferes" the integration may not go smoothly? What integration? It's a steamroller coming through. There are what...about 2000 active mechanics at the old US and another 2000 on furlough? Well, let's see...there are about 800 HP mechanics....and about 700 of them are most likely going to be out of a job in the near future. Yeah....that's what I call a fair integration.

• Banned
Furloughed US Mechanics cannot displace an active HP mechanic.

What is your basis for 700 HP mechanics being laid-off?

And there will probably be more mechanics as one the intergration is complete the HP A320 family aircraft will have to be overhauled by US mechanics and not TACA in San Salvador. Read the current IAM Contract Scope language.

I see a good possibility of Heavy Maintenance in PHX, you know something that HP outsources right now.

700UW said:
September 26, 2005

US airways is not the surviving carrier. Americawest is not the surviving carrier either. It is a new carrier (merger of 2) using a older recognizable name. This is according to the company Q&A in a plan deal.

700UW said:
What do you call the following?
Memory problems? Comprehension problems? Or both?

The proof is in the post!
[post="305868"][/post]​
That is not name calling, or insulting....it is called something that blows from your mouth CONSTANTLY.....It is called the TRUTH, BLOWHARD....You are a mouthpiece for the IAM, and when someone confronts you with that, all you can do is resort to telling that particular poster, whoever it may be (me in this case) "don't let the facts get in your way"......."insult"....Blah...blah....You are a bore!!!!!, and everyone on these boards are starting to see that....GOOD DAY!!!!!!....700

• Banned
I simply posted an update from the IAM, you are not a member nor a US employee, go hijack another thread.

700UW said:
Furloughed US Mechanics cannot displace an active HP mechanic.

What is your basis for 700 HP mechanics being laid-off?

And there will probably be more mechanics as one the intergration is complete the HP A320 family aircraft will have to be overhauled by US mechanics and not TACA in San Salvador. Read the current IAM Contract Scope language.

I see a good possibility of Heavy Maintenance in PHX, you know something that HP outsources right now.
[post="305876"][/post]​
Your kidding....right???? heavy maint in PHX???? Your previous posts stated that US wants OUT of the heavy maint of aircraft.......which is it , 700???the 737 will be gone in PIT....YOU stated previously that AWA does NO heavy.....Why would they "all of a sudden" do maint in PHX?????? you are contradicting yourself!!

hpflygirl said:
There are what...about 2000 active mechanics at the old US and another 2000 on furlough? Well, let's see...there are about 800 HP mechanics....and about 700 of them are most likely going to be out of a job in the near future. Yeah....that's what I call a fair integration.
[post="305874"][/post]​

Difficult times are ahead and we all need to keep our minds in the right place. DP will be as fair as possible to all. Anyone that has met him or even studied his past actions know he is a honest and fair man with integrity. We have the right captain to steer our ship. As far as the unions go he has little control, but if your in a union that was your choice and you'll have to live with it. Some of us may lose our jobs including myself, but life WILL go on. ;)

I most certainly am a member of the new US Airways....and my son is too. He's a line mechanic for the old HP/new US Airways. There was a little union meeting this morning...and they got the not so good news.

Latest posts

Back