Mechanical And Related Update

The "majority" tried once but were told we had to re-vote!!!! :down: That is when I lost all respect for the IAM.

Just maybe the first results should have stood? Union pressured by the company for a re-vote...and they caved, don't believe it was pressure from the members. :down:

Yes the AGCs and GCs took the same cuts.

As a matter of fact when the AGCs and GCs also had the same cuts at the UAL ESOP eventhough they did not come off of UAL property and lost the stock just like UAL employees.

At US for mech and related they cut one, there are only three for 2,000 active members, can't speak for Fleet.

AP Tech said:
Just maybe the first results should have stood? Union pressured by the company for a re-vote...and they caved, don't believe it was pressure from the members. :down:
[post="286475"][/post]​

Back in 1985 I was in a union shop under the Steel Workers. When the contract came up we all voted down the first offer.

When the second offer came up, which was the "exact same offer" as the first only with added words from the company owner/president in a letter to our homes saying we didn't understand the first time and that a second vote was the only fair thing to do so we could determine our fate with a "rational" and not emotional vote, at the same time he mentioned that he would shut it down if we didn't accept.

The Steel Workers Union Leader stood up at the meeting of the 2nd vote, remember this was 1985 20 years ago, he stood up and said unions just don't have the power they once did so we needed to vote yes.

It went thru the second time. It was a "ten year" contract for twenty cents an hour raise each year for the ten years. I voted NO both times.

I left not longer after that and what happened afterward was the owner sold the company for a quarter of a billion dollars and before his death he gave away twenty five million to the college he attended, Leighhigh in Philly. The very same man who said we didn’t understand with our the first vote and we needed to accept his twenty cents. I understood clearly that he gave away millions to assuage his conscience before his death while the people who made him a multi millionaire worked two jobs to survive.

What is needed which we don't have are very strong labor leaders in this country, we had them but they’re all buried. I wonder if the seeds to bring up strong powerful union leaders have been poisoned by Corporate America, sure seems it when you open your eyes and look around yourself and see what people “needâ€￾ to do just to survive.

calibrator said:
What is needed which we don't have are very strong labor leaders in this country, we had them but they’re all buried.
[post="286496"][/post]​
today too many accept the turds that are thrown upon their plate.....they have not had to struggle for anything in their lives...mommy and daddy have seen to this for the most part.
how many times at U have you seen inter shop suck butt rules that are blatently out of the contract but are mutually agreed by the shop members until someone gets porked???then comes grievance time and now no one wants to make waves...........because we got it too good living outside the bounds of our contract that we let slip away due to past practices.....
point is no one wishes to stand up and fight....they'd rather eat a #### sandwich without bread.

It is nice for the coach to show up after the game is over, thanks Mr. O'Driscoll.
at least the teamsters have shown there face , We would sign a ballet union card if they came around. Your membership only knows what the Lavman (700) tells them.

I believe in the next months, as the merger goes forward there will be more layoffs. One of the things that Parker is going to have to do is get $ brought in by workers to the same level as JB,AT,etc. As strange as it sounds with all the layoffs, we're not there yet.

"If there is an election and less than 50 percent of the combined group participates, including furloughed employees, then no union will be certified and Mechanic & Related workers at both airlines will have no collective bargaining agreement and become “at willâ€￾ employees."

Hey at least i would get a raise. no union to pay dues to.