Major expansion at JFK

Here we go again, looking for excuses? TWA is AA's demise?

TWA died long before AA finally purchased it whole, ( when Uncle Carl sold the LHR routes to AA's Uncle Bob for a paltry 700m. ). This sale is the only reason why AA has a LHR presence enough to keep BA interested, and makes AA both viable and buyable to BA someday.

Those cramped 757 to Europe are only meant to temporarily fulfil our contract to fly AA metal into these cities. 757s will be replaced with 777 later once AA starts selling it's JFK-LHR seats on BA.
<_< ------ Barfbag, if your going to talk ancent history, at least get it right!------- TWA didn't just die on it's own. It was murdered! And although Uncle Carl did the "coup de grace"! Sold off our London routes, and pocketed the money, and mortgaged everything else of value,and pocketed the money, It started long before that when Trans World Corp. stole the companies TWA had purchased to get it through hard times!
Those companies were bought and paid for with Airline money. To name a few: Hilton International, Spartan Foods, Century 21 real estate, Hardy's Hamburgers, and others. As to the sale of what was left to AA,------ will, that my friend will be debated for quit some time!------ Although, what AA bought, was just a shell of what TWA once was!!!

our great expansion plans are flying more and more poorly configured 757's to Europe

Why would 31" or 32" seat pitch on AA be any worse than 32" pitch on a KLM A330 or 31" on their 744's?

How about the same 31-32" on a LH A340? Or 31" on a LH A380 or 744?

Air France? 32" across their long haul fleet.

Bubbaflot? 31-32" as well, with a few exceptions at 33" on former NW planes.

I was in Madrid yesterday, and watched the 757 to JFK board. There was no shortage of people, and when I inquired about flying on it myself for next month, business class was already sold out.

You might hate working the aircraft because of the smaller galleys, but I really don't see that much of a difference as a customer...

If anything, the 737 would be preferred since they now have the 110v universal plugs instead of the archaic 12V plugs which need a special adapter.

Why would 31" or 32" seat pitch on AA be any worse than 32" pitch on a KLM A330 or 31" on their 744's?

I was in Madrid yesterday, and watched the 757 to JFK board. There was no shortage of people, and when I inquired about flying on it myself for next month, business class was already sold out.

You might hate working the aircraft because of the smaller galleys, but I really don't see that much of a difference as a customer...

If anything, the 737 would be preferred since they now have the 110v universal plugs instead of the archaic 12V plugs which need a special adapter.

You are correct about the little difference in seat pitch on the various airline aircraft. The difference that matters to me is widebody vs. narrow body. The seat pitch is the same but just flying in a larger, double aisle widebody has a greater comfort factor for me. Less of that claustrophobic feeling as far as im concerned.

You are right about the load factor. The problem is that the average person doesn't realize they are on a narrow body until they walk in the front door and then you hear the moans and groans. And then when customers have to stand up in the ailse 5 deep to wait on the back lavs because there are no vestibules like on the 767 then the complaining starts all over again. This is in my opinion where branding comes in.....the 757 across the Atlantic just reinforces peoples opinions that American Airlines is a mediocre airline that people don't feel get excited about flying. You have to say that walking onto a brand new A380 to Paris on JFK-CDG makes walking onto a "refurbished" 15 year old 757 seem like a huge step backward. No matter how you slice it, using this aircraft is a race to the bottom as far as cramming in the most people while giving the least amount of amenities.

You are right about the load factor. The problem is that the average person doesn't realize they are on a narrow body until they walk in the front door and then you hear the moans and groans. And then when customers have to stand up in the ailse 5 deep to wait on the back lavs because there are no vestibules like on the 767 then the complaining starts all over again. This is in my opinion where branding comes in.....the 757 across the Atlantic just reinforces peoples opinions that American Airlines is a mediocre airline that people don't feel get excited about flying. You have to say that walking onto a brand new A380 to Paris on JFK-CDG makes walking onto a "refurbished" 15 year old 757 seem like a huge step backward. No matter how you slice it, using this aircraft is a race to the bottom as far as cramming in the most people while giving the least amount of amenities.

Why don't we have engineering attach a twenty foot cone to the nose of the plane and tell the passengers they're being treated to the " Concorde " experience, minus the Machs and the Dom Pérignon champagne. :D

506509019_074d5d20ff.jpg

Exactly. Our management team proves time and time again they don't have a clue why people fly and they really don't care.

I heard they were telling people at the NYC meeting that they were going to put new seats on the 767 300's and personal rooms in F on the 777. It is like they are living in a dream world.

New seats where we don't need them, 757s to Europe, new coffee makers that don't work when our current ones do, selling bad food when other people give out good food for free.

Look at the vending choices in the terminal at JFK. If I were at that meeting I would have asked why we don't have more food stores and another starbucks. Why would anyone find the need to visit taxco and buy a giant silver cheetah? in every area where we deal with passengers we drop the ball.

Exactly. Our management team proves time and time again they don't have a clue why people fly and they really don't care.

I heard they were telling people at the NYC meeting that they were going to put new seats on the 767 300's and personal rooms in F on the 777. It is like they are living in a dream world.

New seats where we don't need them, 757s to Europe, new coffee makers that don't work when our current ones do, selling bad food when other people give out good food for free.

Look at the vending choices in the terminal at JFK. If I were at that meeting I would have asked why we don't have more food stores and another starbucks. Why would anyone find the need to visit taxco and buy a giant silver cheetah? in every area where we deal with passengers we drop the ball.

Ever been to the JetBlue terminal? Free WiFi!!! Also, a great selection of food! I mean come on. How hard is it to know what people want! JetBlue seems to get it. I can just hear AA on this....maybe a Missy Latham report..."Our customers have told us that they would rather buy a silver cheetah then have a Starbucks coffee near security."

At most airports, the airline tennants don't select the terminal vendors, and I assume that the same is true in NYC. Blame the Port Authority if there aren't enough Starbucks (and too many silver cheetahs for sale). IMO, one Starbucks is one too many.

You have to say that walking onto a brand new A380 to Paris on JFK-CDG makes walking onto a "refurbished" 15 year old 757 seem like a huge step backward. No matter how you slice it, using this aircraft is a race to the bottom as far as cramming in the most people while giving the least amount of amenities.

I've flown the 380, and its just another airplane...

You want to talk about steps backward? Try waiting to board with 300+ people, and waiting 45 minutes for 500 suitcases to make their way onto the belt.... And when people are stacked 10 deep waiting for the lavs, its just as crowded.

If it means quick boarding and bag delivery, give me a single-aisle midbody anyday over a 744, A380, or an A340.

Ever been to the JetBlue terminal? Free WiFi!!! Also, a great selection of food! I mean come on. How hard is it to know what people want! JetBlue seems to get it. I can just hear AA on this....maybe a Missy Latham report..."Our customers have told us that they would rather buy a silver cheetah then have a Starbucks coffee near security."

The Port Authority could care less about your morning cup of Joe. They ( aka the Port ) are 'Landlord Maximus'.,They charge by the square foot to corporate giants, i.e. Hudson News who then sublease to franchisees. The franchisees usually pay the rents up front for twenty years, and the Port then takes a 10% fee from each register receipt.

AA has no control over vendors.

Reminder: It's Terminal 8, not AA terminal 8, the Port owns the buildings and manages the property for the city of New York. They can remove any airline logo, just as easily as changing a stop sign.

Ironically. the only sign that the Port can't remove is the TWA sign at terminal 5 due to the building's Historic status with NYC.

Finally! Some expansion here.

The expansion to International flying will only become greater due to the AA-BA deal. No wonder the company really wants us all to be both domestic and international (among other reasons).

Latest posts