Make Mine a Colt-45 Please

dfw79,
The point is that the little hole that a stray bullet will make will be nothing compared to what will happen if terrorists hijack a plane again. We must use everything at our disposal to make sure this does not happen again. And if you really think one small hole in an airplane will cause it to crash I suggest watching some old combat footage. You will be amazed when you see aircraft with large chunks missing being safely landed.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/21/2003 1:34:10 PM Hopeful wrote:

DC10hound:

No. Not on the B767. The main landing gear trucks tilt forward unlike other aircraft. The front four hit the runway first!
----------------
[/blockquote]

This true. But in this context we were apparently refering to a 777...

"I was trying to allude to touching gently first on the aft two main wheels out of six on each side."

Alrighty then! I guess that explains everything!

Now, in the case of a 747.........

We not only need guns in the ****pit, and the CRAF (the civilian reserve airlift fleet) but we also need the CRUAW --- The Civilian Reserve Unemployed Aircraft Workers!

These people have been F~ck~ng with my livelyhood for the last 15 years! Put me on a C-141, give me a -45 and I will kill them myself!

Are you with me? ---Let's Roll!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/21/2003 5:16:01 PM flaptrack wrote:

These people have been F~ck~ng with my livelyhood for the last 15 years! Put me on a C-141, give me a -45 and I will kill them myself!

Are you with me? ---Let's Roll!
----------------
[/blockquote]

I'll go with you, but make mine a 44. Want to give them that "lucky feeling."

RV4,
Sorry about repeating the link. I guess everything makes its' way back on the internet. Hey! it was new to me.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 2:31:44 PM Boomer wrote:

RV4,
Sorry about repeating the link. I guess everything makes its' way back on the internet. Hey! it was new to me.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Boomer,

You dont owe any apologies! Keep reading and posting!

Why even wait for an intruder to breech the flight deck door? Once the flight crew determines that somebody is attempting to breech the door, simply and radically modify the attitude of the aircraft. A would-be intruder is foiled from the get go if he is unable to remain standing on a stable platform.

"Float" the intruder into the ceiling, wall or send him rolling back down the aisle. Use the plane as a weapon against them while the non-flying pilot removes the pistol from the lock box and calls in the incident. By then the passengers have probably figured out what the heck is going on and are body slamming the crap out of the poor basta**!

Could also be practiced in the simulators easier and safer than practice drawing the gun, although that should be thoroughly trained as well.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/25/2003 1:58:38 AM boresight wrote:

Why even wait for an intruder to breech the flight deck door? Once the flight crew determines that somebody is attempting to breech the door, simply and radically modify the attitude of the aircraft. A would-be intruder is foiled from the get go if he is unable to remain standing on a stable platform.

"Float" the intruder into the ceiling, wall or send him rolling back down the aisle. Use the plane as a weapon against them while the non-flying pilot removes the pistol from the lock box and calls in the incident. By then the passengers have probably figured out what the heck is going on and are body slamming the crap out of the poor basta**!

Could also be practiced in the simulators easier and safer than practice drawing the gun, although that should be thoroughly trained as well.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Abrupt maneuvers of the aircraft could be effective at dirsrupting a hijack attempt but there are limitations:

- Aircraft design limitations: Transport aircraft are not fighters and have a tighter maneuverability envelope. The verdict is still out on AA587, but the manufacturer implies that a simple reversal of flight control inputs caused structural failure. I do not necassarily endorse this position, but it is something to consider.

- Inability to differentiate whom you disable during such maneuvering. The positive or negative G forces apply to everyone onboard. If the hijackers are disabled, so are the passengers and flight attendants. You're going to hurt a lot of people in this process and the non flying pilot is not going to be retrieving anything from a cockpit lockbox while you're at it (Those GSA approved safes had me pulling my hair out when I tried to access them on the ground let alone under negative G's).

- The simulator cannot simulate G forces and would be a poor training tool for this type of tactic.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/21/2003 1:34:10 PM Hopeful wrote:

DC10hound:

No. Not on the B767. The main landing gear trucks tilt forward unlike other aircraft. The front four hit the runway first!
----------------
[/blockquote]

INFO::

767 main gear has a 17 degree forward tilt.

757 main gear has a 9.6 degree rearward tilt.