March 22 Crew News With Scott Kirby

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Yesterday US Airways President Scott Kirby held a Crew News briefing with pilots yesterday in CLT. Here are some bits and peices of information (paraphrased):

1. Piedmont Fleet Plan: The Piedmont pilots aree concerned about their future because of the Mainline pilots scope clause, which prevents keeps them from obtaining Dash 8-Q400's. The leases on 45% of the current Dash 8's are set to expire. Kirby indicated the company cannot go against the scope clause, but he would like to replace 50-seat RJ flying with Q400's. In my opinion, this subject is likely to be a topic of discussion next week when Kirby joins JNC discussions on a new pilot contract next week in DCA. In addition, the company believes a pilot "flow through" is a good idea, but US Airways has a large forlough list, therefore, he believes there is sufficent time to work on this point.

In addition, Kirby said that we can expect a "shake up" in PSA and Piedmont Management coming in the next week or two.

2. Pilot Pay: Pilots in attendance complained about how long it is taking for the combined contract to be finished and a lack of response from the company, in particular on pay rates.

Kirby indicated he wanted to finish the other sections of the contract first before discussing pay, pensions, and scope. Kirby noted that ALPA's requested pay rates are "dead on arrival", however, he said there is room to reach a mutual agreement on rates. In my opninion, it sounds as if management recognizes new pilot pay rates must exceed the current West rates.

3. Mainline Fleet Update:

Widebody order: - 20 firm + options for either the B787 (first delivery in 2011) or the A350 (first delivery 2013). Negotiations should be concluded in two weeks with an announcement approximately two weeks later.

A330's will be used in the interim, with 200's used for longer range flights.

Kirby said the company need's to acquire A340-500's prior to DOT's China announcement. Marketing and Planning are evalauting Philadelphia to Tel Aviv and Phoenix to Europe (in my opinion, Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Paris) as interim routes to fly the A340.

Narrowbody order: The B737 or A321 will replace older B737's. 60 firm orders + options with deliveries beginning in late 2008.

4. Pilot recalls: Kirby said that there will be more recalls than originally planned for this year. US Airways Senior Vice President of Flight Operations Ed Bular nodded in agreement, but no numbers were given.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Was the VP of Inflight there? Rumor this morning when I checked in was she could not answer anything and finally some girl stood up and said "what can you answer?". Hope they put the entire thing on the hub UNedited.

Kirby said the company need's to acquire A340-500's prior to DOT's China announcement. Marketing and Planning are evalauting Philadelphia to el Aviv and Phoenix to Europe (in my opinion, Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Paris) as interim routes to fly the A340.
That must be a direct reference to Air Canada. Otherwise, why would he be so specific as to say A340-500 versus obtaining A332's or some other long hauler in the meantime. Any update on that pursuit?

Yesterday US Airways President Scott Kirby held a Crew News briefing with pilots yesterday in CLT. Here are some bits and peices of information (paraphrased):.....

[3. Mainline Fleet Update:

Widebody order: - 20 firm + options for either the B787 (first delivery in 2011) or the A350 (first delivery 2013). Negotiations should be concluded in two weeks with an announcement approximately two weeks later.

A330's will be used in the interim, with 200's used for longer range flights.

Kirby said the company need's to acquire A340-500's prior to DOT's China announcement. Marketing and Planning are evalauting Philadelphia to el Aviv and Phoenix to Europe (in my opinion, Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Paris) as interim routes to fly the A340....

Did Kirby actually state that 330-200s would be used, or is this just your assumption? If so, this is the first time that anyone at US has mentioned the -200 order for a long time.

PHX-Europe with a 340-500, competing with BA, would in my estimation, be a mistake. I don't know why they don't use them (assuming it's only 2) to start a PHL-Asian route (HKG, SEL, or KIX) to gain portfolio experience. PHL-TLV is probably the best bet on what they'll do, since really I don't think US is serious about China - they just don't seem to have enough "vision" to compete. PHX-Europe would best be served with a 330-200 starting in 2009 - the 340-500 is way too big for that route (with the BA competition).

Did Kirby actually state that 330-200s would be used, or is this just your assumption? If so, this is the first time that anyone at US has mentioned the -200 order for a long time.

PHX-Europe with a 340-500, competing with BA, would in my estimation, be a mistake. I don't know why they don't use them (assuming it's only 2) to start a PHL-Asian route (HKG, SEL, or KIX) to gain portfolio experience. PHL-TLV is probably the best bet on what they'll do, since really I don't think US is serious about China - they just don't seem to have enough "vision" to compete. PHX-Europe would best be served with a 330-200 starting in 2009 - the 340-500 is way too big for that route.
I think US should expedite getting Widebodies. With the Open Skies in Europe, this will mean that there will be more and more flights over the pond. The High premium it generates will soon become low premium. Maybe get something quick and focus on Asian routes.

we will be getting A330-200'S as well as the A340-500'S. the 500's will be aquired if and only we get the china slots. the 200's will be used for tlv and more european flying maybe out of phx. kirby told me this himself via e-mail.

we will be getting A330-200'S as well as the A340-500'S. the 500's will be aquired if and only we get the china slots. the 200's will be used for tlv and more european flying maybe out of phx. kirby told me this himself via e-mail.
So you're saying that the originator of this thread didn't hear Kirby correctly, or maybe he (Kirby) changed his plans from when you received your email? Really, US shouldn't wait until 2009/2010 to start PHL-TLV if they have the planes - it would be a very big missed opportunity, especially when LY gets additional aircraft and if they decide to try the route themselves - a long time rumor. Waiting until the DOT picks a China "winner" before acquiring the 340s would be even a bigger mistake IMO. Remember if US were by some miracle to get the China authority. they MUST start flying the route in March 2008.

I thought Kirby said previously that we would have to acquire the 340's *before* the DOT awards China, no? In other words, they were not going to wait around until the award is granted, and then scramble to implement a new fleet type. Did I misunderstand?

I thought Kirby said previously that we would have to acquire the 340's *before* the DOT awards China, no? In other words, they were not going to wait around until the award is granted, and then scramble to implement a new fleet type. Did I misunderstand?
The 340's are rated with the 330's?

The 340's are rated with the 330's?
Dunno, but even if they are, they still have to come up with staffing, redoing interiors, service guidelines, etc, which is why i thought I heard Parker say we would be getting those before any China awards, and if we did not win, they would be used elsewhere. Guess I could listen to the Crew News, but I end up falling asleep before the intro is over. :lol:

Dunno, but even if they are, they still have to come up with staffing, redoing interiors, service guidelines, etc, which is why i thought I heard Parker say we would be getting those before any China awards, and if we did not win, they would be used elsewhere. Guess I could listen to the Crew News, but I end up falling asleep before the intro is over. :lol:
The Chinese will be thinking they are boarding for Toronto or Vancouver. I hope they change their interiors, the green is ugly.

well from what iwas told. and i am trying to find the e-mail but i think i delted it. i asked him if there wa any truth to the 340-500's . his response was if and only we are awarded the china route. i then asked him can't we use the 340 to tlv even if we don't get the china route? he told me that the a330-200 would be a better plane for that since the 340's are too big of an a/c for that mission. tlv is slated to start next summer. so look for some 330-200's coming to the fleet soon. just my opinion form what i was told. you want to beleive me good if not good as well. the only reason i am posting this is because it was talked about in the crew news . there are more things to come as far as inflight amenities that i was told was in the works that i am sure many will be excited about.

well from what iwas told. and i am trying to find the e-mail but i think i delted it. i asked him if there wa any truth to the 340-500's . his response was if and only we are awarded the china route. i then asked him can't we use the 340 to tlv even if we don't get the china route? he told me that the a330-200 would be a better plane for that since the 340's are too big of an a/c for that mission. tlv is slated to start next summer. so look for some 330-200's coming to the fleet soon. just my opinion form what i was told. you want to beleive me good if not good as well. the only reason i am posting this is because it was talked about in the crew news . there are more things to come as far as inflight amenities that i was told was in the works that i am sure many will be excited about.
Good. Amenities.

Yeah if US doesn't get the China Route, they can use the A340's on a PHL-SDA! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: