Maybe this is why we are taking paycuts

SpinDoc,
Part 2: The front line employees can''t be trusted? This from a managerial team that paid 35 million dollars on the eve of bankruptcy? This from a managerial team that made certain their retirements were pay protected in their contracts by including that their pensions were based on pre-concession wages and assumed bonuses?

I''ll stop now as I realize it is never a great idea to write in anger.

SpinDoc,

Why would any company hire employees who can''t be trusted to make good decisions? Why would they retain such employees? Who''s in charge of hiring these all these dolts? Seems to me certain members of management need some serious "Creating Impressions of Excellence" training.

MLT, careful now. We must not mention past management errors or misjudgments. You may be accused of animal cruelty!

I have seen waivers get out of hand. There are always a few shifty types who are performing favors for friends.

But MOST were due to a supervision mentality that went, "you, as the frontline employee, need to handle this. I am very busy with this very important paperwork."

More disheartening - follow the rules, tell the pax NO. Have the pax request the supervisor. Have the supe overrule you and grant the pax his request, in BLATANT and MAJOR violation of company policy. Receive a complaint letter. Have the manager counsel you regarding ''rudeness.'' Seen it many times.

When all along, what is needed is clear, simple, easy to understand rules CONSISTENTLY APPLIED by ALL levels of the company. For chrissakes, I''ve seen ''policy'' announced, adjusted, readjusted, re-readjusted, and cancelled - all in one day!

----------------
On 4/1/2003 9:00:56 PM mlt wrote:

SpinDoc,
Part 2: The front line employees can''t be trusted? This from a managerial team that paid 35 million dollars on the eve of bankruptcy? This from a managerial team that made certain their retirements were pay protected in their contracts by including that their pensions were based on pre-concession wages and assumed bonuses?

I''ll stop now as I realize it is never a great idea to write in anger.

----------------​

Without being disrespectful, I would like to provide a wake up call to those who insist on beating the dead horse of the $35 million payments that were divided among WolfGang and Nagin. The payments were based on contractural agreements that were approved by the former US Airways Board of Directors well before the company reached the decision to file for Chapter 11 protection. Furthermore, to question these payments reflects the inanity of people who protest the war in Iraq. The deal is done and like it or not, cannot be changed.
It comes down to envy of those who have acheived a high level of success by those who may will never reach that level. The answer to this is simple. Spend 4 years of your life obtaining a college degree. Then, spend another 2 or 3 years obtaining an MBA. After that, work your way through various levels of a large company for 10+ years (without guarantee of success), make it to the top, and then you too will be privileged enough to earn that type of financial reward. Until you reach that level, you will never understand the $35 million in payments, and you have no right to question it.

----------------
On 4/2/2003 9:52:25 PM SpinDoc wrote:

on contractural agreements

It comes down to envy of those who have acheived a high level of success by those who may will never reach that level. The answer to this is simple. Spend 4 years of your life obtaining a college degree. Then, spend another 2 or 3 years obtaining an MBA. After that, work your way through various levels of a large company for 10+ years (without guarantee of success), make it to the top, and then you too will be privileged enough to earn that type of financial reward. Until you reach that level, you will never understand the $35 million in payments, and you have no right to question it.

----------------​

As far as the first comment, dont make me laugh. We all had contractural agreements, that somehow managed to be altered one way or another and ignored at other times. Why did managements contracts seem to be the only one that didnt have any "grey area" or out clause?

I take offense at your other paragraph. With an attitude like that I can see there is no need to try to help you see why so many front line employees are so fed up with management. I enjoy being where I am and am doing what I wanted to do since childhood. It has nothing to do with envy or making millions of dollars. It has everything to do with what is morally right and having "earned" the money rather than just having the Board, appointed by whom?, agree to give you money without actually performing the duties bestowed upon them to run and manage the company. If someone had earned it, then by all means they should get it. I dont think they did. As a former stockholder (wonder why) and downgraded, pay and benefit cut just barely hanging on employee, I think I have every right to question why money is being spent in this manner all the while being told I need to give more. I certainly hope you are not currently employed by US in any "spin" position. It needs a lot of work.

----------------
On 4/2/2003 9:52:25 PM SpinDoc wrote:

----------------
On 4/1/2003 9:00:56 PM mlt wrote:

SpinDoc,
Part 2: The front line employees can't be trusted? This from a managerial team that paid 35 million dollars on the eve of bankruptcy? This from a managerial team that made certain their retirements were pay protected in their contracts by including that their pensions were based on pre-concession wages and assumed bonuses?

I'll stop now as I realize it is never a great idea to write in anger.

----------------​

Without being disrespectful, I would like to provide a wake up call to those who insist on beating the dead horse of the $35 million payments that were divided among WolfGang and Nagin. The payments were based on contractural agreements that were approved by the former US Airways Board of Directors well before the company reached the decision to file for Chapter 11 protection. Furthermore, to question these payments reflects the inanity of people who protest the war in Iraq. The deal is done and like it or not, cannot be changed.

----------------

Spin head,

Personally, $35Million is something I will not challenge as I explained in a previous post, those provisions were contract triggers way before BK, with specifically our Ex CEO contract.

As you are well aware, and I suspect you were a big part of, we were given much "SPIN" this summer and winter and we OPENED our agreements because of threats and intimidation. NO NEGOTIATIONS!!! My main point in gracing you with my response is that you have VP executives up in CCY THAT DON'T HAVE A MBA DEGREE OR MASTERS ANYTHING, SO DON'T TALK ABOUT YEARS IN EDUCATION...and the "rank and file" that work for U ARE HIGHLY EDUCATED, MANY AFTER TAKING A JOB WITH U.

MANAGEMENT:

Since you chose to PM me about my negative attitude..... (with all due respect).....could you take some advice and please shut "spin doc" up...he's making your guys look really, really, bad, and making me look really, really credible.​

Spindoc,
I disagree, being a stockholder and an employee of 20 plus years, I believe that I have earned the right to question, form an opinion, etc.
Here's a spin, it's not envy. How pompus!
Bottom line, the job didn't get done. It makes no difference what the obsticals were, what they had to work with, how much education or experience they had. The job didn't get done. Period.
I wouldn't call it earning financial reward. They were already paid hansomely for running the company. If the job were compleated to satisfaction, U wouldn't be in the position it is today. The problem is, they failed and now their own employees are suffering and paying for that failure, yet they walk away with millions.

Reaccom....

You are one hundred percent correct....and I think
the newspapers today highlighted the big bonuses
ceo''s were walking away with last year while their
companies lost millions.

Why should failure be rewarded....Wolfie and Rakesh
failed in their merger attempt (and the millions
they were going to make) and in their petty way
wanted to walk away with something for their six years
of work. I find it "morally corrupt" and almost
as bad as the enron mess.

The employees at enron got lawyers together and have
gotten some of the bonus payments back ....

I''d like to see the same thing here.

If folks want to blame and shine "bad" light on the previous mangement...then NEW mangement is no different.

They, too, received bonuses 2002 (SEC filing). The 6 Million dollars through the judge, and Siegel's 3/4 of a million dollar bonus as well...same month he met with all of Labor to "cry the blues" for U.

Point: They are ALL the same, just give them the opportunity.