Mechanics turn down the concessions.

atabuy

Senior
Oct 13, 2002
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Machinists Split On
UAL Recovery Plan
Washington D.C., November 28, 2002, 0100 EST – Members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM), voting on five separate tentative agreements, differed on whether to contribute $1.5 billion in cost reductions to United Airlines’ recovery program to avoid bankruptcy.
Ramp & Stores, Food Service and Security Guards ratified their agreements with 63.4 percent of voters approving the accords. The Public Contact Employee (PCE) group also accepted their agreement, with 79.2 percent endorsing the contract. United’s Mechanic & Related employees, however, rejected their agreement by a 57 percent margin.
Each employee measured the costs and benefits of participating in United’s recovery plan, said Scotty Ford, District 141-M President. In the end, some thought the risk was worth taking, and others felt they had sacrificed enough. We respect both decisions and this organization will aggressively represent their common interests as this extraordinary situation unfolds.
IAM District 141 represents 24,500 UAL Ramp & Stores, Public Contact, Food Service and Security employees. United’s 13,000 Mechanic & Related employees are represented by IAM District 141-M.
Visit the two District web sites, www.iam141.org and www.iam141m.org for additional details and information.

Sure doesn't seem right that 7,400 people could screw it up for 96,000 workers. I guess we will have to wait for more information.
I am not pleased at all about this outcome.

[EM]yall gotta ask for a revote.....tell them yall didn't understand....iam has to go with it 'cause it worked [BR]at usair....[/EM]

The company made it a all or nothing deal
not the employees.I wonder why they did that.
Couldnt they have just marked down one groups
refusal and then hit them in court ??

mancityfan
you dont know how i voted so dont be blaming me for this crap.
if you dont like whats happening at ual you can leave your
feet arent nailed to the floorboards.

Press Release Source: United Airlines
Two IAM Work Groups Ratify Contract Changes
Thursday November 28, 1:47 am ET
Mechanic and Related Employees Vote Against Wage Cuts

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 28, 2002--United Airlines' (NYSE:UAL - News) chairman, president and chief executive officer Glenn Tilton today issued the following statement on news that certain IAM work groups voted in favor of their proposed contract changes and one group voted against them.:
The participation of our public contact, ramp, food service, security and other employees represented by IAM District 141 represents a significant part of our financial recovery program and they deserve commendation for voting in favor of proposed wage reductions to help transform our airline. Clearly, we're disappointed that our mechanic and related employees, represented by IAM District 141M, did not approve the tentative agreement with United. Nevertheless, we remain fully committed to the goals of the United Airlines Union Coalition in achieving labor cost savings that will enable us to secure federally backed loans. We will immediately begin talks with the IAM 141M leadership to ensure that a contract proposal consistent with the coalition's framework is brought before the membership as soon as possible.

United operates nearly 1,800 flights a day on a route network that spans the globe. News releases and other information about United may be found at the company's website at www.united.com.

United Airlines
Worldwide Communications:
Jeff Green, 847/700-2278
Media Relations Office: 847/700-5538
Evenings/Weekends: 847/700-4088

You know I was really going to try and stay off the board for the holiday but I just can't help it. You just aren't listening are you.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/28/2002 12:33:51 AM wts54 wrote:

The company made it a all or nothing deal
not the employees.I wonder why they did that.
Couldnt they have just marked down one groups
refusal and then hit them in court ??
----------------
[/blockquote]

I guess the IAM was NOT part of the Union Coalition? Hit them in court?? WTF?? Does that not defeat the purpose of going through this charade? Maybe I am missing something, but if the IAM does not come to its senses VERY quickly (a la USAir!), then all those ace mechanics with jobs lined up at Joe's Garage better start collecting their tools.

If ANY of the mechanics who read these boards have BETTER jobs lined up elsewhere, then they are just plain fools for even being on the property. Therefore, one has to assume that their job at UAL is the best paid, best vacation, best benefits job they can find. If so, why on earth have 57% of you just screwed the golden goose. Could BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, and the rest have only offered jobs to 57% of you??

I can only imagine how paltry 6-7% is going to look to the Bankruptcy judge, and you only have yourself to blame at this point. How idiotic!!

mancityfan

Mastermechanic, [BR][BR]I didn't vote, I guess it didn't really matter since I'm ready to leave this hell hole. If you're betting on the BK judge to give you a better deal, you better think again. The BK judge's only job is whether to accept or deny the the Company's request to reject the collective bargaining agreement, look at the web site address I posted on 11/26 REJECTION OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT. I wonder if we get to re-vote like in US Air since you guys didn't know the consequences of BK, lol.[BR] [BR]It'll be interesting to see what happen's next.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/28/2002 2:19:41 AM mastermechanic wrote:

And Mancityfan...what do you think the BK judge is going to think about the pilots pay and benefits? Oh I'm going to punish the mechanics for not playing ball but I'm still going to pay those pilots...hahahahahahah
----------------
[/blockquote]

MM,

I guess the BK judge will cross that bridge when Tilton puts the request in front of him. However, having voted to take the LARGEST PAYCUTS, and having voted by the WIDEST MARGIN to try and help the company, I think old Glenn might look at ALPA as an ally, rather than arch enemy. Remember, if we go bankrupt, the copmpany can just tell the judge that the company is happy to accept the current agreed to cuts by everyone who has ratified them. Then, when the discussion turns to the IAM, Tilton can have his wicked way with your CBA. Of course, the IAM will try and negotiate, but if you think YOU are in the driver's seat in THAT negotiation, then you really DO have a screw loose!

Listening to some of you guys complain about history is pathetic. Sooner or later you will ALL realize that we are MAKING history, not repeating it! NO airline the size of UAL has EVER gone CH 11, and certainly not in the worst aviation market EVER! And we are all one Stinger missile short of the street, so enjoy it while you can! I can only hope that the 57% majority have not ruined the lives of the 43% who apparently think 6-7% is NOT the MASSIVE, DEEP cut that you feel is just too onerous to even contemplate. I am sure those 43% ae SO very proud of your scorched earth policy of negotiating.

Were you not so pathetic and masochistic, I could feel sorry for you, but should this end up in CH 11, I hope you get everything you deserve and a bit extra for good measure! Time for you to crawl back under your rock!

I guess the saving grace is that no matter how much I might lose in BK, I will STILL be streets ahead of you, and I will still be a pilot! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

mancityfan

PS to all the well meaning, hard working, family loving mechanics out there who do great work day in day out, I apologize in advance for some of the comments that may have spilled over from my loathing of MM.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/28/2002 1:31:24 AM wts54 wrote:

mancityfan
you dont know how i voted so dont be blaming me for this crap.
if you dont like whats happening at ual you can leave your
feet arent nailed to the floorboards.

----------------
[/blockquote]
wts54
Please note that NOWHERE did I blame you for the vote! I merely used your quote because it referenced information I wanted to respond to. As is clear from the text of what I wrote, it is meant to apply to the 57%.

mancityfan

I voted no, and I spit on your sniveling mechanics who didn't. It is always someone else who must stand and fight your fights. The PEB...the best and final offer, blah blah blah...and yet those who risk it all must stand with those who run when the first shot is fired.