Merged Thoughts

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Analysis of Public Remarks made by David Bronner and Dave Siegel

Remarks of Dave Siegel to the Potomac Officers Club on February 25:

US Airways Chief Executive Officer Dave Siegel said, “It is also inevitable – just like in railroads, steel, autos, and other mature industries – that the airline industry will eventually consolidate. I see a world where there are three strong hub-and-spoke carriers providing international service and broad networks that connect small, medium and large markets, and then a swarm of low-cost carriers battling it out in high density markets. But either way, the airlines that survive and thrive will be the ones that find a way to offer customers what they want, at prices they are willing to pay, and at costs lower than those prices. Pretty simple stuff.

As CEO of US Airways, my goal is to make sure that our airline continues to utilize those assets. The painful question we are trying to answer is whether they will be served by our employees, or by another airline that has competitive costs. We certainly hope that we get there with our employees.

Siegel concluded, this is a brutally competitive industry. In fact it’s a daily battle for survival. That is why I frequently cite the comments of Charles Darwin, who in his classic book “The Origin of the Species†wrote: “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change.â€

US Air Needs To Cut Costs By Yearend To Survive LCCs Battle

Yesterday Steve Lott of Aviation Daily reported Siegel also said that domestic consolidation is "inevitable" during the next few years. He predicts a U.S. market with two or three strong hub-and-spoke carriers providing international service with broad networks, and then a "swarm" of low-cost carriers battling it out in high-density markets.

After his speech, Siegel said the US Airways assets "will participate in the consolidation process," but not much else unless the airline is able to lower its costs to competitive levels. If it can't cut costs, "we will be the awkward teenager at the school dance, hoping someone will come talk to us, but going home disappointed and lonely."

USAir pilots agree to help reformulate airline:

Ted Reed of the Charlotte Observer reported last Friday US Airways chairman David Bronner discussed veral other future scenarios for US Airways. The Observer wrote Bronner said it's too early to tell whether the airline will sell assets after retaining investment banker Morgan Stanley to seek offers. But to maintain credibility with Morgan Stanley and bidders, it's important to make a decision within a few months, he said. "If you stay in the red, you sell assets," he said. "Once you get in the black, it's a new game."

Retirement Systems of Alabama, which gained control of the airline during its bankruptcy, won't put more money into US Airways now. "You never want to throw good money after bad ... to save something that's bleeding," he said.

But if the airline turns profitable, it could invest in acquiring more assets.

Bronner emphasized that he is not a typical corporate investor who is "in to get anything and everything we can."

USA320Pilot comments:

This is the fourth time Bronner has publicly commented on other airline assets being purchased presumably by RSA for US Airways. Moreover, there is reason to believe that with a competitive cost structure US Airways could be the surviving business entity in the pending corporate transaction, however, this will only occur if all stakeholders participate in the “Going Forward Planâ€. Thus, without across-the-board cost cuts, from this observer’s perch, Siegel’s comment that US Airways assets "will participate in the consolidation process," but not much else unless the airline is able to lower its costs to competitive levels, is probably true.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

767jetz:

767jetz said: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAWN!!! Are we there yet?

USA320Pilot asked: 767jetz, with all due respect, can you tell me the useful purpose of your comment? Moreover, every time a comment is made about a corporate transaction you and your fellow employees almost instantly respond on the US Airways forum. Why don't you post meaningful comments on the United forum where you are employed instead of posting drivel like you did above? Moreover, if you believe a corporate transaction is not going to procced than why even comment and waste your time?

By the way, since you and I are both based in New York, maybe we might fly together in the future.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Cav:

Cav asked: Merged Thoughts: What other kind do you really have?

USA320Pilot comments: Cav, even the casual observer would answer your question as a lot. But, ya know what, you do not need to read them when I start a topic -- it's your choice to read my posts -- not mine.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
767jetz:

767jetz said: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAWN!!! Are we there yet?

USA320Pilot asked: 767jetz, with all due respect, can you tell me the useful purpose of your comment? Moreover, every time a comment is made about a corporate transaction you and your fellow employees almost instantly respond on the US Airways forum. Why don't you post meaningful comments on the United forum where you are employed instead of posting drivel like you did above? Moreover, if you believe a corporate transaction is not going to procced than why even comment and waste your time?

By the way, since you and I are both based in New York, maybe we might fly together in the future.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
With all due respect, he was just saying what I was...you are ALWAYS telling us this stuff and SO FAR, nothing, ZIP, and it has been YEARS!

What is the plan? I yet to hear of anything new. I like things in black and white not in vague rhetoric. Bottom line is this - unless you can give me something in black and white that includes ALL the figures don't waste your breath.

USA320Pilot said:
Cav:

Cav asked: Merged Thoughts: What other kind do you really have?

USA320Pilot comments: Cav, even the casual observer would answer your question as a lot. But, ya know what, you do not need to read them when I start a topic -- it's your choice to read my posts -- not mine.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Captain, I sure hope you still love me....

Cav:

Cav said: "You are ALWAYS telling us this stuff and SO FAR, nothing, ZIP, and it has been YEARS!"

USA320Pilot comments: Most of my post to start this topic listed recent public comments made by US Airways' chairman of the board and the president and chief executive officer. US Airways and United management have been discussing a follow-on transaction since the last merger died, but for reasons I have already articulated a deal has not proceeded. Such things such as September 11, the loan guarantees issues, two formal reoganizations, SARS, and the Iraqi War have clouded the picture. Will one occur? I do not know, but what I do know is that within the past 7 days the two highest leaders at US Airways have publicly commented on a deal for US Airways, which may or may not include United.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Cav:

Cav said: "You are ALWAYS telling us this stuff and SO FAR, nothing, ZIP, and it has been YEARS!"

USA320Pilot comments: Most of my post to start this topic listed recent public comments made by US Airways' chairman of the board and the president and chief executive officer. US Airways and United management have been discussing a follow-on transaction since the last merger died, but for reasons I have already articulated a deal has not proceeded. Such things such as September 11, the loan guarantees issues, two formal reoganizations, SARS, and the Iraqi War have clouded the picture. Will one occur? I do not know, but what I do know is that with the past 7 days the two highest leaders within US Airways have publicly commented on a deal for US Airways, which may or may not include United.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Let me ask you this, why do the UAL guys hate you so much?

What are they afraid of, or what's eating them?

I really want to know!

cavalier said:
USA320Pilot said:
Cav:

USA320Pilot comments: Most of my post to start this topic listed recent public comments made by US Airways' chairman of the board and the president and chief executive officer. US Airways and United management have been discussing a follow-on transaction since the last merger died, but for reasons I have already articulated a deal has not proceeded. Such things such as September 11, the loan guarantees issues, two formal reoganizations, SARS, and the Iraqi War have clouded the picture. Will one occur? I do not know, but what I do know is that with the past 7 days the two highest leaders within US Airways have publicly commented on a deal for US Airways, which may or may not include United.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I really want to know!
What they are affraid of is.........DATE-OF-HIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA320Pilot said:
But if the airline turns profitable, it could invest in acquiring more assets.
One.

Is it me, or is this statement missing the quotation marks which are gramatically required to attribute a statement to a person?

"Go Spot go!" said Dick. - here Dick does the speaking.

Go Spot go! - here the author does the speaking. Therefore, this is not the fourth time Mr. Bronner said anything.

Two.

For all you know, Mr. Bronner could be considering acquiring a McDonald's franchise to for a new on-board pay-for-food program. You have no idea what that statement means in terms of any corporate transaction.

Three.

Consolidation does not equal merger, UCT, ICT or any other acronym you care to invent. Sometimes consolidation happens when companies just close the doors.

bigbusdrvr said:
cavalier said:
USA320Pilot said:
Cav:

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I really want to know!
What they are affraid of is.........DATE-OF-HIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:p :p :p

BUT, that's not really funny if you're in those shoes!