Merged Thoughts

I gotta ask: why do you always refer to United and US Air as "the Chicago-based carrier" and the Arlington-based carrier"? It's strange! You could accomplish so much more by just typing 5 letters vs 22 letters....but whatever tips your sails. ;)

Fly said:
I gotta ask: why do you always refer to United and US Air as "the Chicago-based carrier" and the Arlington-based carrier"? It's strange! You could accomplish so much more by just typing 5 letters vs 22 letters....but whatever tips your sails. ;)
Fly, he's got Wi-Fi and a keyboard attached at the hip, why take short cuts with all that going on? Ya know? :blink:

USA320Pilot said:
I purposely did not bring up United Airlines in this thread, but since others felt compelled to introduce the Chicago-based airline into the discussion, I thought the following article may be of interest:

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
I would have read the story, but it asks you to register. Nice attempt though. Maybe try to copy and paste it.

Here it is:

THE TICKER
AIRLINES: Low-fare carriers to fight United's bid for loan help

New York Times News Service
Published March 2, 2004

Alarmed at United Airlines' attempt to invade the low-fare market, an organization representing discount airlines said Monday that it planned to fight United's effort to win $1.6 billion in federal loan guarantees.

Low-fare airlines contend that a federal loan guarantee would give United unfair ammunition against its competitors, said Edward P. Faberman, executive director of the Air Carrier Association of America, a lobbying group whose members include JetBlue Airways, America West Airlines, AirTran Airways, Frontier Airlines and Spirit Airlines.

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

magsau said:
USA320,

Neutralize the controls. Apply opposite rudder and STOP THE SPIN.
Actually, he flies the Airbus.

So all he needs to do is let go of everything an let the airplane recover itself through the various computer laws and protections! :D :D :D

You know, after reading the above article it hit me: America West and Frontier BOTH applied for and recieved ATSB loans. Wow! A lot of nerve to then go lobby against a competitor getting it.....especially a competitor who was DIRECTLY affected by 9/11. Shame on them! "Unfair ammunition"? It has been, now it's time to level the playing field. Welcome to the big leagues.

Neither America West nor Frontier opposed UAL the first time they applied to the ATSB. I saw it written today that they only did so this time after UAL spent further resources opening TED as a measure against them and the other signing airlines.

FWIW, if United had just gone about restructuring it's existing business without the new subsidiary, there would have been no complaint.

There are a number of options that could occur with the consolidation Dave Siegel and David Bronner have publicly discussed, but it appears that United Airlines is having difficulty obtaining the loan guarantee.

According to the article below, if the loan guarantee application is rejected again, then the company could be forced to obtain an equity investor.

Ray Neidl, a New York-based airline analyst for Blaylock & Partners told the Associated Press, "They'd (United) have to find an equity investor, though, which could mean even further changes."

There are reports that RSA and David Bronner is interested in being United's equity plan sponsor or equity investor. If Bronner elects to invest in United, this could be a means to create a KLM-AF type of combination or a true merger with US Airways.

Will it occur? Maybe or maybe not, but things seem to be changing.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what happens if the ATSB rejects United's loan guarantee application again.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Same song. Which verse is this? About number 113? Who has ever said that the supposed "Bride To Be" is the least bit interested in your supposed Courter? Or is it the other way around?

David Bronner pubically stated that he was not going to put a dime into US Airways until things turned profitable. That will not happen before UA either emerges from Chapter 11 protection and/or obtains an equity investor.

Mesa might be flying the shuttle with 737s by then, though, because Jonny O. seems to have no problems getting credit. Scope sellout at 11!

Latest posts