Merger Coincidence or not?

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
According to an article in Wednesday’s Houston Chronicle, “Delta's board rebuffed the original bid by US Airways. Delta CEO Gerald Grinstein at that time said it raised overwhelming regulatory and labor issues. However, the creditors committee - which includes the likes of Boeing Co., where Bethune worked before coming to Continental - has far more influence than management in this matter. Bethune, who meets with some members of Delta's creditors committee Friday (today), made it clear he knows whom he reports to.â€

See Story

Then today just prior to Bethune’s meeting with some members of Delta's creditors committee the news media Delta announced it plans to discuss with its board soon its evaluation of US Airways' recently increased takeover bid.

Is the timing of Bethune’s meeting with some members of the creditors committee and Delta’s announcement of taking US Airways’ proposal to the board a coincidence? Is it possible Bethune influencing the process since?

See Story

I believe it is important to note that Bethune has indicated he thinks the airline industry will consolidate. The outspoken executive said "having a large number of major carriers leads to instability for employment and pension matters and that the Houston Chronicle noted that “has far more influence than management in this matter.â€

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Delta management has a fiduciary responsibility to review ALL offers for the company.

Bethune does think the industry should consolidate. The outspoken executive has said "I can still be a proponent of marriage without agreeing that these two people have to get married."

I think you are trying to read too much into a couple of meetings.

Is it possible Bethune influencing the process since?[sic]

If I understand the question, upon reading the article Bethune has said several things:
(1)Bethune characterized his role as that of a facilitator.(Definition: help to make things easier)

(2)"I am not hired to negotiate for the committee. I am just giving some friendly advice."

(3)"I know Parker and I like Parker, and I know Grinstein and I like Grinstein," Bethune said. "But I work for the committee."

So, yes, he was hired (at a handsome fee of $250K for 10 days) to work for the committee, ask questions of management, give friendly advice and facilitate. That would, by definition, mean that he has had an influence. That is exactly why he was hired!

Was your question intentionally rhetorical?

I wouldn't too much out of the "coincidence" of a media report published today today including the info about DL management taking the revised US offer to their Board. DL management said that they were going to do that over a week ago - which I suspect you knew.

"Delta Airlines Inc. (PINK SHEETS:DALRQ) said in a statement Wednesday that its board will do its duty to review the revised offer by US Airways." Article from 1/10/07

Jim

In this topic I made the title "Merger Coincidence or not?"

Is the announcement the same day that Bethune meets with some of the creditors a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

LP4, as I have indicated to you publicly and in a PM, I can hold the B767 today, but I have elected to not to so. Why did you conveniently leave this point out in your "personal" comment?

With all due respect, as a disgruntled passenger, when would now be a good time for you to be honest and learn respect?

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

LP4, as I have indicated to you publicly and in a PM, I can hold the B767 today, but I have elected to not to so. Why did you conveniently leave this point out in your "personal" comment?

With all due respect, as a disgruntled passenger, when would now be a good time for you to be honest and learn respect?

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
To point one, YOU believe you are, I and others here DO not, so it matters not what you want you want others to believe.

To point two, and I know you are slow to grasp this concept, respect is earned and you do not qualify...... Let me make this real simple for you, I despise people who look to benefit from the hard work of others. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Yep, your nervous. Don't worry you'll know your future fate in a couple of weeks. Which reminds me, how do you like your humble pie?

Congratulations! Now work on your letters and numbers and after you've mastered those, we'll work on spelling and grammar! Then perhaps you'll earn cookies and milk. :up:

...when would now be a good time for you to be blah-blah-blah?

No one on this board has assigned you the duty of moral police officer. You do not get to decide what is respectful, lacks or doesn't lack character, has or does not have integrity. It is not your job to dictate nor to determine our values or behaviors. We do not operate by your mind's set of standards and/or rules. Most of the time we are all unified in our disagreement of your judgment and/or value assessments. Continually doing so, often makes you appear comical.

I'll ask my question again: Was your question (regarding Bethune) intentionally rhetorical?

Lark,

With all due respect, you do not get to operate by my mind's set of standards and/or rules", and as such, you do nto get an answer to my question.

When you learn decorum and respect then maybe you can get an answer. :D

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. There are many things in life I wish I did better, such as internet chatting, typing, spelling, and grammar, but unfortunately I am not perfect.

With all due respect, you do not get to operate by my mind's set of standards and/or rules", and as such, you do nto get an answer to my question.

If I can decipher your chopped syntax, perhaps what you'd meant is that since I don't operate nor exist in your :wacko: universe :wacko: of arbitrary rules, regulations and imaginary value systems, you refuse to answer my question. If you'd just look up the word rhetoric, then maybe you'd change your mind because you'd understand what and why I was asking.

As to what I need to learn and when...you're not my judge nor jury and are not worthy of being either.

Is the announcement the same day that Bethune meets with some of the creditors a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
Let me answer the question then - DL management made no announcement concerning a BOD review of the revised offer today so there can be neither a "coincidence or not".

There was only a 193 page BK court filing which had about 2 pages discussing the timeline of the original US offer and the revised US offer. Within those two pages were two sentences giving basically the same information that was actually announced on Jan 10th - that the DL Board of Directors would fulfill it's fiduciary duties and review the revised US proposal.

So the only coincidence is that a media report mentioned some old news today.

If there had been an announcement that DL's BOD had reviewed the revised offer and rejected it, then you would have a valid question.

Jim

Lark,

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. There are many things in life I wish I did better, such as internet chatting, typing, spelling, and grammar, but unfortunately I am not perfect.

Let's see, what is the short list of how many people you seemingly dislike, despise or otherwise have a problem with?

1. Boeing Boy
2. L4P
3. Lark
4. Most of the UAL folks
5. Most of the DAL folks
6. Most union members

What's my point? That I will willingly and happily side with them rather then you any day of the week.

LP4,

What is there to be nervous about? I remain on schedule to retire early and before age 60 (if I desire) with or without the merger, I bid a piece of equipment that is lower paying than I can hold for "quality of life" purposes, and things have never been better. Part of that is because I served my country and retired from the U.S. Air Force, which is a true blessing in many ways.

As an uninformed "internet junkie", how can you be so wrong again? :up:

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts