merger could come in 2 weeks

Here is another thread were this is discussed ... http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/52680-aa-and-the-pbgc/page__st__24

Here is an old link on who and who could not draw and keep working after the US AWA merger.

http://afausairways....ne/dec27_11.htm

Q. Piedmont Airlines and PSA do not exist anymore, just like Eastern Airlines. Why can't I collect my Piedmont or PSA pension at age 62?

A. Eastern Airlines did not merge with another carrier and their pension was not integrated into another carrier's pension program. Both Piedmont and PSA pension programs were integrated into the US Airways Pension Program. Your time with Piedmont and PSA counted toward your US Airways Pension (Shuttle as well). The time a flight attendant spent with Eastern Airlines did not count toward any credit with a US Airways pension. Former Eastern Airlines flight attendants who were hired by US Airways started their seniority at zero years. Piedmont, PSA and Shuttle flight attendants kept their seniority and years of pension credits during the mergers.

Key is "US Airways" goes away. Our PBGC pension is dead not tied to anything. It can not be merged into the New American pension or into the now Old American frozen pension .... therefore we should be able to start ours at 55 and keep working.

Plain and simple, your nothing more that an AArrogant AArse. It's the ones such as yourself that give AA that very reputation.

And this merger is your avenue to happiness.....

Mad rush to the promised land.....

Are we the key or the obstacle to your happiness?

Take a long look in the mirror.

Wow, with the malcontents headed for the door, this might not be so bad after all!

I'm a USAviator, just like you are a AAviator. I am a hard working citizen in the US aviation industry, just like you are. I have been through the same hard times you are going through. I could be your neighbor, friend or distant family member. Why would you not want me to get a break, after all this industry has put us through? I wish you and your family the best .... why are you so bitter?

I'm a USAviator, just like you are a AAviator. I am a hard working citizen in the US aviation industry, just like you are. I have been through the same hard times you are going through. I could be your neighbor, friend or distant family member. Why would you not want me to get a break, after all this industry has put us through? I wish you and your family the best .... why are you so bitter?
You play the victim well.

Make your problems someone else's, without concern of whats left behind..

Looking for the solution without regard to the consequences.

I wish you the best too, but don't view the solution to your problems as a good thing for my/AA's future.

Nothing bitter about me. I've been through four mergers in my career and not one of them created long term value i can put my hands on..

Lots of employees and an uncompetitive network. Even post proposed merger, we're at a big disadvantage in two critical areas.... NYC and the Pacific.. And yet we're taking on enormous risk.

For those at AA that are against merging with US, I have a question for you. Would you rather go at it alone and risk seeing US merge with Delta or United? Because that is what will happen. US is still a contender and right size to fit with all 3 legacy carriers and this management team will eventually get a deal done. Then where will that leave a stand alone AA?

For those at AA that are against merging with US, I have a question for you. Would you rather go at it alone and risk seeing US merge with Delta or United? Because that is what will happen. US is still a contender and right size to fit with all 3 legacy carriers and this management team will eventually get a deal done. Then where will that leave a stand alone AA?

Several things:

1. Despite Parker's insistence that the merger has to happen yesterday, there's no fire. If it's a good idea today, it will be a good idea 12 months or 24 months from now. Neither of the other mergers (UA-CO or DL-NW) happened while they were in Ch 11 - even DL-NW was about a year after they emerged from bankruptcy and UA waited even longer before marrying CO.

2. Even if DL is a logical purchaser of US, there would be huge divestments of assets, like the CLT hub - there's no way one airline controls both ATL and CLT. That would permit AA to get the CLT hub everyone insists is the big hole in AA's system that US can fill (SE connecting hub). DL-US would be forced to divest a lot of DCA and a fair portion of the LGA slots, including the shuttle. So what would DL gain from buying US? PHX and PHL? Maybe. I don't see DL chomping at the bit to spend that kind of money to gain those two hubs.

3. UA is a logical purchaser of US, but UA has its hands full for a while trying to integrate its last merger and thus there's no way that US would be hitched to UA within a year or two (see #1 above).

AA has survived for 15 years without a SE connecting hub (since the pull-downs of RDU and BNA) and can easily survive another year or two before tying the knot with US.

For those at AA that are against merging with US, I have a question for you. Would you rather go at it alone and risk seeing US merge with Delta or United?

They already ran away screaming from you.

Because that is what will happen.

See above!!

US is still a contender and right size to fit with all 3 legacy carriers and this management team will eventually get a deal done.

Keep dreaming. All the others ran screaming, thats why you are so in to AA right now.

Then where will that leave a stand alone AA?

Happily!

With all the talk of AA needing to match the size of DL and UA, how can US still be a contender being the smallest of the legacy carriers? US needs AA but AA does not need US.

With all the talk of AA needing to match the size of DL and UA, how can US still be a contender being the smallest of the legacy carriers? US needs AA but AA does not need US.

I've raised that very question a few times over the past year and generally don't get a coherent answer. The mantra is that AA cannot survive unless it becomes as large as UA or DL, and the only way to do that is to merge with US.

But the typical inconsistent position is that US is in no danger, despite being just slightly larger than half the size of AA.

IMO, if AA is in danger because it's too small, then US must be in a world of hurt due to its much smaller size.

The merger just like US and HP will be part of the POR and takes effect upon exit from chapter 11, that is if a merger happens.

I doubt there is a risk for US to merge with Delta or United. Were you asleep during those merger-wolf cries?

Latest posts

Back