Merger mess stalls US Airways plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't calculated my personal RASM lately but it is usually over 50 cents per mile on average. In order for me to be profitable business for US Airways I have to generate around 18 cents of revenue to cover the upgrade and perks and I've never had an annual RASM under 25 cents per mile.

So it would seem that I'm NOT getting what I pay for.

Stop, and think about how you are feeling?? Pay attention to your emotional state, it will direct you to what you REALLY WANT, rather what your are not getting. :)

ed on them instead of keeping the far superior merlin system. Does HP have a habit of getting rid of far superior products in favor of a different product just because it was cheaper , even if it can't do nearly what the old systems(SABRE<MERLIN) did?

On another board, PineyBob pointed out that with the switch from LotusNotes (East e-mail system) to Outlook (West), the company is going to a system with much less funcationality in yet another area.

"Cheaper equals better" is the Tempe mantra once again.

(A Yugo is cheaper than a BMW, too. But what does DP drive? If cheaper is better, how about this):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes...134093004QQrdZ1

Add articles to prove your point please.

"Siegel was convinced that for US Airways to avoid the fate of failed carriers such as Eastern Airlines and Pan Am, both of which liquidated in the 1980s, he would have to bring US Airways' costs down further and position the airline for consolidation with another carrier. He explored several options.

Acquire United Airlines, the nation's No. 2 carrier. That option was code-named "Project Minnow," with US Airways as the small fish gobbling the bigger one.

Combine with British entrepreneur Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic, which was interested in US Airways' Washington-Boston-New York shuttle, along with slots and gates in the Northeast.

Split the airline in two and merge the Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C., hub-and-spoke network with one carrier and its slots and gates in Washington, Boston and New York with another.

But US Airways ultimately rejected those options. United did not have any interest in a deal and was too distracted by its own struggles in bankruptcy. Virgin Atlantic wanted lots of US Airways assets -- gates, planes, airport equipment -- to help launch a new U.S. airline, but all it would offer in retrun was the Virgin brand name. US Airways also turned down several inquiries from other carriers -- including Southwest, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Airways -- about acquiring the company's assets but not its employees.

In the end, only America West wanted both."

Link

"With no alternatives left, bankrupt US Airways agreed to merge with America West Holdings Corp. on Thursday, hoping to create a low-fare airline with nationwide service by year-end."

Link

Stop, and think about how you are feeling?? Pay attention to your emotional state, it will direct you to what you REALLY WANT, rather what your are not getting. :)
I’ll try to tell a New Yorker that on a XLD flight

Not to quibble but if memory serves ALL of last years profit came from the East. HP were it standalone actually showed a net loss which means the efforts of the East subsidized HP.
Come now PineyBob, I hate this joke of an airline as much as you, but you have to admit, these bozos running this probably made that happen on purpose. I wouldn't trust anything that this company says with a 100ft pole. They could make any part of this airline profitable and I'm sure they are doing this to further their own careers on the back of the employees. I wouldn't be surprised of we hear that the west is profitable and the east is hemorrhaging money next quarter just so they can prove their point.

Management is important and employees are only there to improve their standing with the Wall Street crowd. Any other conclusion to their actions is misguided.

One thing we've learned out here in Tempe is to never trust anything that comes out of managements mouth. They are as mischievous as they come and manipulate everything to their advantage. It isn't about be truthful to their employees or shareholders at all.

I'm unlucky enough to have to fly US from PHX to SAN today (believe me not by choice), but believe me I'll be trying to get back on Southwest if I can at all help it.

I want to make a reservation over the web and not have the IT department lose it 3 times in 4 months. In addition while I found the two people I dealt with to very polite and helpful. 17 e-mails and 11 phone calls does NOT constitute a smooth transaction. The idea in modern business is to take my money with minimum human interaction. Where this a one time thing, I'd write it off. I finally told Customer Relations after just under $1,000.00 worth of vouchers to stop sending them. I hardly ever bother to complain to US because it falls on deaf ears. On here someone will tell me to F___OFF, which at least shows they read the post. Which is more than I can say for Tempe.

I would like to go to the counter and get a correct boarding pass and not stand there for 10 minutes while someone figures out how to make it work. This was in PHX where SHARES works soooooo well.

I want to be able to book with confidence knowing that the on time stats for that flight are NOT in the 30% range as they often are now.

When I call Customer Relations I would like some consideration of the dollars I spend when determining how to address various issues that crop up.

Edited to add: I want a nice Gin & Tonic, preferrably Tanqueray and please board more than 6 minis. I need to be drunk to tolerate the place.

This airline in it's current condition is an abject failure and no one is held accountable at ANY level and I have the DOT stats to support my argument.

At FFOCUS we are literally flooded on a daily basis with horror stories and requests for help. It wears on my patience but it also strengthens my resolve..

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I was flying US Airways when Doug Parker got here and I'll be flying US Airways when he is gone. Parker needs to pull his head out and run the freaking airline or get the hell out and let someone else try. Frankly I don't care which he does just so long as he does it quickly.

I asked this before so I'll ask it again: When will you take your business to another airline? How much abuse, as a customer, are you willing to take from US Airways?

I'm amazed that you, as a customer, put up with the inferior product that you portray US to be, posting complaint after complaint - yet you still purchase their (US's) product. US management must love customers like you, because they can offer to sell a bad product and you will buy it. There is no reason for US to improve - heck, they could cut / cheapen their "product" even further and you would still continue to purchase it.

We disagree slightly on one point. They are most assuredly NOT "Bozos".
Well put...
What they do appear to be is one of the most treacherous bunch to ever populate "Mahagony Row". I've been doing a little research and I'm finding that what they say to Wall Street is far different than some of the BTS numbers.
No surprise to me. Frankly I think they are sitting around having a drink laughing at how all this is playing out. I can no longer defend anything anyone says about this company as they have proven again and again they are about manipulating everyone. Why their employees fall for it is beyond me. You'd think they would be smarter, the HP crowd knows how Doug plays and the US crowd has seen it all. Still they throw around quotes and "communications" from the company to back up their points. Simply amazing...
And they say that copier Sales Reps have no morals. On my sleaziest day I look like the Pope compared to this bunch.
Ouch... ;)

I agree LUVTHE 9.....
But that won't happen. The best we can hope for is to keep seperate certificates and run our own operations as is.

Certificate is merging in September.

Continental uses Shares. I wonder how they do it.

We have a major international system on the east coast, very unlike the west coast. The shares system is not capable of handling the complex re-issues and check-in requirments to handle transatlantic. We also reach into South American routes, for example Columbia connections through Miami where the shares system can't even find these cities. The west has maybe Mexico, or Asian connections on other airlines and they have the time to find connections in Phoenix while waiting for the long haul flights arrive. In the east, we are challenged with many other complex connections all over the world and our passengers cannot be serviced with this f---ed up system that would be equiv. to kindergarten class v. college.
Lets face it everyone, the management teams have read all our threads, nothing has changed it only gets worse. I feel we are going under this time. Our company will not and has not done anything in the best interest of the passenger and the employee groups so that means, THEY DON'T GIVE A RAT'S A-- !!!! So, with that said, just continue to work with the garbage,collect your paychecks and go home and forget about it !

I asked this before so I'll ask it again: When will you take your business to another airline? How much abuse, as a customer, are you willing to take from US Airways?

I'm amazed that you, as a customer, put up with the inferior product that you portray US to be, posting complaint after complaint - yet you still purchase their (US's) product. US management must love customers like you, because they can offer to sell a bad product and you will buy it. There is no reason for US to improve - heck, they could cut / cheapen their "product" even further and you would still continue to purchase it.

It's the "woe is me" syndrome. I'm a customer too and cannot fathom why people just don't fly a different carrier. I took half of my business to NW as a result of US's inferior product.

Continental uses Shares. I wonder how they do it.

A careful reading of the SLO QIK/SHARES related threads will show that the problems is not much SHARES as it is QIK, the "gooey" overlay of SHARES that Tempe makes frontline staff use. "Important" areas of the company, such as OCC and many offices in the Sand Castle use native SHARES.

CO gives frontline users the choice of using their "gooey" or their native SHARES. (Then again CO has a tad more respect for employees and customers alike than does US). And guess what CO users mostly choose. IMO while native SHARES is not quite as capable as Sabre, it's a perfectly good system; CO does pretty well with it. Tempe has, however, no plans to offer it to those on the frontlines.

That has been our understanding also. Co gives their agts the ability to choose. That is something we should do. I firmly believe that while native shares might not be the equivilent of Sabre , letting us make the choice is the way to go. The east employees would pick this up very quickly and I bet you would see a major turnaround. Qik is the real problem. So if we know where the true problem lies , then the solution is also known. Get rid of the qik overlays and let us use native shares like CO does for their agts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts