Merger Partner - ALL US Merger Talk Here

Delta Says Northwest Talks Hit Snags on 'Principles'

In a sign that merger talks with Northwest Airlines Corp. have stalled, top executives of Delta Air Lines Inc. issued a memo to employees saying that no "potential transaction meets all our principles."

The memo comes as executives at the two airlines wait for their pilots to reach an accord among themselves on seniority -- an accord needed before a merger can move forward. In its memo, issued yesterday, Delta said seniority for all its employees is one priority it would consider in any merger.

Delta also cited other priorities, such as keeping its Atlanta headquarters. It added the airline ...

Keep Delta my Delta ....... my way or no way .....

jim bob the gas man wrote on Feb 26, 2008 11:35 PM:

" Did you guys just make this story up? There is no chance, none whatsoever that Southwest would pay for USAIrways. They simply don't have to. They can fill planes where ever they want. They did it in BWI, the did it in PIT and they will eventually do it in PHL. Southwest is not run by morons like USAirways is.

In addition, merging those union contracts would be impossible. Half the employees still think they are working for Piedmont.. or even Allegheny! "

“I don’t think the management culture is that different, and I think that would make bringing the rank and file together much easier,â€￾ Trippler said.

Thats priceless......

jim bob the gas man wrote on Feb 26, 2008 11:35 PM:

" Did you guys just make this story up? There is no chance, none whatsoever that Southwest would pay for USAIrways. They simply don't have to. They can fill planes where ever they want. They did it in BWI, the did it in PIT and they will eventually do it in PHL. Southwest is not run by morons like USAirways is.

Except by doing that, they would still have a major competitor in US Airways. A merger, or buy out would reduce competition which is one of the main goals of consolidation.

Except by doing that, they would still have a major competitor in US Airways. A merger, or buy out would reduce competition which is one of the main goals of consolidation.
Except that the perfect time for WN to do that was during BK2 - the old stock was still trading and they could have bought US for a few hundred million. Not a terrible price to pay just for the LGA/DCA slots - they could have just parked all the planes, dumped facilities they didn't want, etc. Now they'd pay something over $1.25 billion and couldn't dump a thing easily.

Jim

I have a question about the NIC award. It may have already been answered on one of the ALPA threads that I don't read. So I'll ask it here. What would happen to the NIC award if say another ALPA carrier and US announce a merger. Let's say NW and US suddenly decide to merge before our pilots take their representational vote. This is purely hypothetical and only suggested as an example. I've heard no rumors or rumblings to even suggest this as a possibility. Might this make NIC go away and possibly keep US pilots in ALPA?

Except that the perfect time for WN to do that was during BK2 - the old stock was still trading and they could have bought US for a few hundred million. Not a terrible price to pay just for the LGA/DCA slots - they could have just parked all the planes, dumped facilities they didn't want, etc. Now they'd pay something over $1.25 billion and couldn't dump a thing easily.

Jim
Well things were very different 3 or 4 years - all of the Legacies weren't threatening to merge into 2 Super airlines and eat the competition. WN doesn't have to "dump" anything if it consolidates. All they would need to do is reduce flights by around 25% at big duplicate US/WN hubs like PHX and LAS and reduce other duplicate cities by a smaller %. That'd trim the fat and create a lean and mean airline - still probably the largest domestically. Most cities would retain the majority of current services, but at less capacity. Then they could restructure the East Coast to feed and grow PHL international services (which they desperately need for future viability), with some spill into BWI. I can just imagine how WN would schedule having control of PHL A, B and C compared to the chaotic situation with US last year. They'd probably get 2 turns in A for every 1 US gets today. The major stumbling block I see with a US/WN merger or buyout is successfully combining 2 very different cultures - East Coast US and WN. All you have to do is read this Board to realize the potential integration problems.

WN doesn't have to "dump" anything if it consolidates.
They don't necessarily have to dump anything if they "consolidate" with the right carrier, but if they bought US without making major changes their highly successful business model goes right out the window. WN's success has been, continues to be, and more than likely will be centered on doing what they do as good or better than anyone - offering reasonable cost transportation by virtue of being very efficient. Becoming another big legacy type carrier, even if it only 1/2 the operation, isn't in WN's best interest so buying a legacy carrier (especially one with US' problems) without dumping all that makes it a legacy carrier would not make sense.

3 or 4 years ago the landscape wasn't that different - the legacies were facing losses, fuel was high by historical standards, UA was in BK while US was headed back (or in BK2), US talked to UA and HP about merging, etc.

Jim

I have a question about the NIC award. It may have already been answered on one of the ALPA threads that I don't read. So I'll ask it here. What would happen to the NIC award if say another ALPA carrier and US announce a merger. Let's say NW and US suddenly decide to merge before our pilots take their representational vote. This is purely hypothetical and only suggested as an example. I've heard no rumors or rumblings to even suggest this as a possibility. Might this make NIC go away and possibly keep US pilots in ALPA?

NW Pilots
The update also said that while pilots could not confirm or deny talks with any specific airline, "the fact is that we have been in discussion with more than one group." The document did not say whether it was referring to other airlines.

"We are in 'exploratory discussions' with several parties," the update said. Representatives of the union and the airline both declined to comment.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080227/delta_northwest.html?.v=5

With NW and DL walking away from the merger table, does that make US attractive now? I could see Parker selling to delta now, being that DL wants to be the big dog. This looks like its going to get really bad, soon.

Back