Mia Route Rumours

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
I'm sure some people here who work at MIA would be able to clear up these rumours that I've been hearing regarding four MIA routes:

MIA-PHX: daily 752 for summer
MIA-MCI: daily M80 for summer
MIA-CMH: upgraded to daily M80 in spring
MIA-CNF: loads to CNF are so strong right now, and cargo yields so high, that it may become a non-stop 763 3x a week; other 4 days via GRU.

Also, it appears that even though mainline is taking over MIA-PIT on 1 November, Eagle will continue to offer a Saturday service to compliment.

In my opinion, all these rumours sound plausable, but that does not mean they are going to happen anytime soon. Look how long it took MIA-MSP to surface.

regards

When are those high priests of scheduling in Dallas going to bring back Barranquilla service? They stopped in April 2002, the Caribean coast of Colombia is an important region in Latin America only being served by Aces & Avianca( the same airline). AA they need you down there.

JFK777 said:
When are those high priests of scheduling in Dallas going to bring back Barranquilla service? They stopped in April 2002, the Caribean coast of Colombia is an important region in Latin America only being served by Aces & Avianca( the same airline). AA they need you down there.

As it has been said many times, it is not AA, it is the Colombian government. American Airlines can only serve three Colombian cities. Medellin, being a big business market with oil traffic, is higher yielding and larger than Barranquilla. Trust me, AA would love to be able to serve Baranquilla, not to mention Cartagena as well, but they can't.

Though, by the way, AeroRepublic starts Miami-Barranquilla service this fall.

The next Latin American market is almost certainly going to be either Liberia, Costa Rica or Valencia, Venezuela. Stay tuned...

PR Newswire says Aces is proposing liquidation of its assets, so maybe that will create a new scenario that will allow AA back into the BAQ market.

s80dude said:
PR Newswire says Aces is proposing liquidation of its assets, so maybe that will create a new scenario that will allow AA back into the BAQ market.
Aces/Avianca have already taken care of that. Avianca has taken over MIA-BAQ from Aces. On 23 August, Avianca also takes over FLL-BOG from Aces. MIA-CTG, a daily Aces A320, is going to be suspended until mid-October becuase they do not have any aircraft to fly it. Avianca, daily M80, will be on the route in October.

In addition, the Colombian government is in talks with LanChile to form LanColombia. With a small fleet of A320s and a 767-300ER, LanColombia would connect the Colombian cities of BAQ, CTG, MDE, BOG, and CLO with MIA; as well as providing service from Bogota to New York City, Santiago de Chile, Lima, and Madrid, among others. Though talks are still very, very early and it would likely take a good year to 18 months for any flights to get off the ground.

LanChile currently serves Bogota three times a week from Santiago de Chile with a stop in Miami (yes, it goes up to Miami and then back down to BOG. Why remains a mystery).

So then until the Colombian governemtn negotiates an open skies agreement, or somehow allows more competition, I guess there is not much AA can do.

Never mind that...thanks to government interference, which basiclly told them "no way are you suspending the route", Aces/Avianca have found a way to continue to serve MIA-CTG without suspending service. The route will continue.

MAH4546,

From your posting about Aces stopping flights from BOG to FLL and CTG to MIA can I assume Aces is returning all 5 A320's? Is Lan Colombia going to fly A320's from each of the main Coombian cities to Miami every day? Lan Colombia is going to need about 15 airplanes if they are flying a full domestic schedule, 6 daily to Miami, Jfk and Mad. Avianca has to be the Aeroflot of the Americas( I speak of this from Experience). If Lan can deliver its legendary service to Colombia I'm all for it. My flights to South America will be on AA.

JFK777 said:
MAH4546,

From your posting about Aces stopping flights from BOG to FLL and CTG to MIA can I assume Aces is returning all 5 A320's? Is Lan Colombia going to fly A320's from each of the main Coombian cities to Miami every day? Lan Colombia is going to need about 15 airplanes if they are flying a full domestic schedule, 6 daily to Miami, Jfk and Mad. Avianca has to be the Aeroflot of the Americas( I speak of this from Experience). If Lan can deliver its legendary service to Colombia I'm all for it. My flights to South America will be on AA.
Aces as we know it is now finished. They stopped all flights yesterday. Aces' four daily flights to MIA, from MDE, CTG, CLO, and BOG, have all been replaced today by Avianca services. Avianca, however, does not have DOT approval to fly to FLL, so Avianca is operating an extra MIA-BOG flight with a complimentary bus service to Ft. Lauderdale until Avianca gets permission (Avianca will operate a daily 757 on FLL-BOG).

Lan does have plans for LanColombia. MIA-CTG/MDE/BAQ/BOG/CLO and JFK-BOG can all be done daily with as little as 5 A320s. LanColombia will initially be an interantional carrier, like the newly launched LanDominicana. Though the start of LanColombia has a few hurdles to clear, but LanChile wants to do it.

We have been hearing this MIA-MCI rumor for years now. Since we will lose all of our STL flights on Nov 1st, I would love to see them announce this service soon to save a few layoffs. I'm sure we would fill up the flights to MIA with PAX and Cargo.

I'm surprised that CMH-MIA hasn't been increased to more than just weekends. The loads on the weekends have been good. I know alot of this is cruise traffic but I would think that even our connections to the islands would be good thru the week as well.

How about PVD? We are getting new N/S to DFW Nov 1. Would love to see MIA. All flying to South Florida and the islands is now on US and DL. Look at the demos; PVD is very similiar to BDL and BOS. PVD could easily support daily nonstops to SJU and MIA.

Awesome news for both DFW-PVD and MIA-CVG.

It's only rumours, but I hear that three more MIA destinations will be loaded by year's end: Kansas City, Phoenix, and Providence. Though I would not rule out Lousiville and/or Milwaukee. Providence is Miami's largest O&D market without non-stop service with 720 daily O&D passengers. It was also Dallas' largest O&D market without non-stop service prior to the announcement.

Latest posts