Midwest Hub/focus City

Status
Not open for further replies.
El Gato said:
I just looked at it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County%2C_Kansas

This is what you call good?

"As of the census² of 2000, there are 451,086 people..."

That may seem high to you, but it is abysmally low compared to other places.

"The per capita income for the county is $30,919."

It appears to be a enclave of the wealthy for the region. This is far outweighed by the simple fact that is far too few of them that make decent money. The vast majority of the populace is living in trailer parks and sending their kids to public schools.

Another factor to consider is that rich people don't ride WN. When they travel, they almost always stick to the legacy carriers. A good example of this in action is the impending Chapter 11 filing of Independance Air. They mistakenly thought(as have other carriers) that IAD is the sort of place to build a LCC hub. The areas near the airport have some of the highest earners in the nation - they aren't going to endure a flight sitting next to some smelly cletus just to save a bit of money. Different strokes...

Examine this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas%2C_Texas

Please note at the bottom the list of corporations present there. Now, I am certain you will say that MCI has some too, and that is true. But for sheer size and power, they do not compare. Places like DFW, IAH, and ORD are the true cities of the midwest. The rest are like oasis in a desert.
[post="279718"][/post]​

You don't live near MCI. How do you know who flies and what income they have?

KC is the home of many companies such as AMC, American Century, Sprint, Cerner, and H&R Block to just name a few. The low fares out of MCI prove how low-cost it can be to do business out of KC.

Piedmont4US said:
You don't live near MCI. How do you know who flies and what income they have?

KC is the home of many companies such as AMC, American Century, Sprint, Cerner, and H&R Block to just name a few. The low fares out of MCI prove how low-cost it can be to do business out of KC.
[post="279757"][/post]​

Low fares = low level of service. Cattle car call, mystery seatmate - as in who knows if your neighbor for the next four hours is going to be someone respectable or one of the local methheads on his way home. No food service, no IFEs, flight attendants who are more like tour guides from Universal Studios then professional stewardesses. (The service on Hooter's Air has received more appraisal from critics than WN has. Ponder it for a while.)

When large numbers of businesses and upper income people are in a defined area, they are not looking to be treated like crap. People want to arrive refreshed and relaxed, and not have to worry about making multiple connects at podunk airports.

Yes, you have a few companies there. Congratulations. (I would not be too proud of H&R Block being there, though.) But the simple fact is that KC is too small to sustain a hub, especially for a carrier that is aiming towards a business market.

Piedmont4US said:
[post="279757"][/post]​

You forgot to mention that small, upstart company called HALLMARK CARDS. :lol:

El Gato said:
Low fares = low level of service. Cattle car call, mystery seatmate - as in who knows if your neighbor for the next four hours is going to be someone respectable or one of the local methheads on his way home. No food service, no IFEs, flight attendants who are more like tour guides from Universal Studios then professional stewardesses. (The service on Hooter's Air has received more appraisal from critics than WN has. Ponder it for a while.)

When large numbers of businesses and upper income people are in a defined area, they are not looking to be treated like crap. People want to arrive refreshed and relaxed, and not have to worry about making multiple connects at podunk airports.

Yes, you have a few companies there. Congratulations. (I would not be too proud of H&R Block being there, though.) But the simple fact is that KC is too small to sustain a hub, especially for a carrier that is aiming towards a business market.
[post="279783"][/post]​

Who said low fares = WN?

Some of the cheapest fares from MCI are on DL.

El Gato said:
Low fares = low level of service. Cattle car call, mystery seatmate - as in who knows if your neighbor for the next four hours is going to be someone respectable or one of the local methheads on his way home.
[post="279783"][/post]​
Yes...it's much better to be ASSIGNED a seat next to the local meatheads who is flying because this flight was "so much cheaper than Southwest".
When large numbers of businesses and upper income people are in a defined area, they are not looking to be treated like crap.
That's why so many fly Southwest.
But the simple fact is that KC is too small to sustain a hub, especially for a carrier that is aiming towards a business market.
Read it again...most of us don't WANT a hub. Besides we have nonstops to over 35 cities. Without a hub.

KCFlyer said:
Read it again...most of us don't WANT a hub. Besides we have nonstops to over 35 cities. Without a hub.
[post="279791"][/post]​
Are you now the official spokesman for every single MCI area resident?

And any city would want a hub as it spikes jobs and economic growth to the area.

Final answers:

KC is a nice town that has resources and culture and money. But it's kind of on the small side for a hub.

The "midwest" doesn't need another hub.

US/HP doesn't need a 'midwest' hub.

WN's boarding process is horrible. You can say it's a matter of opinion, but standing in line and throwing sharp elbows for 20 minutes before the plane arrives is objectively horrible.

WN's flying experience is better than most legacy's coach and much better than an RJ.

It's depressing that US/HP has yet to announce a small jet strategy that will be competitive. Maybe they will. An all coach CRJ, no matter how long or new is not appealing.

700UW said:
Are you now the official spokesman for every single MCI area resident?

And any city would want a hub as it spikes jobs and economic growth to the area.
[post="279793"][/post]​

Allow me to rephrase...city leaders want a hub. Most residents do not.

Like I said, are you the official spokesperson for all the MCI area residents?

Conducting polling and research to support your postings?

I doubt you have.

700UW said:
Like I said, are you the official spokesperson for all the MCI area residents?

Conducting polling and research to support your postings?

I doubt you have.
[post="279803"][/post]​

I'll put it this way - there has never been widespread public support whenever the city announces that they are trying to woo an airline to start a hub at MCI. There was more support when they made moves to bring in a cargo hub.

700UW said:
Still no evidence, sounds like you have A320 Syndrome.
[post="279808"][/post]​

I just live here, that's all. What's your qualifications for knowing the mood of the KC population?

I am not the one posting that the MCI residents don't want a hub airport, you are, back it up with some concrete evidence.

But I doubt you have any as this is the third post where I have asked you to provide it and you still have not.

El Gato Says, "Low fares = low level of service. Cattle car call, mystery seatmate -as in who knows if your neighbor for the next four hours is going to be someone respectable or one of the local methheads on his way home. No food service, no IFEs, flight attendants who are more like tour guides from Universal Studios then professional stewardesses."

I beg to differ with you there EL Gato. Frontier is not a low level service ariline and we are one of the BEST LCC'S in N. AMERICA! We have assigned seating, IFE, and in flight snack/food service on flights over 3 hours. So if your just talking about SWA then say so! Most of the new LCC's don't model themselves after the likes of SWA. And let me remind you that at Frontier, most of our flight attendants are lay-offs from other carriers with loads of customer service experience.

And I might aslo add that most of our repeat business is from summit members. Business folks who enjoy Frontier service, and don't like getting it in the shorts from the Lecacy Carriers high business fairs.

SWA has there business model, but not all LCC'S are like SWA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back