More cities cut from PIT

US needs the RJ's to fly PIT-PHL. :p

Also, US doesn't open new markets. I wonder if Delta will start service to RDG. They've started flying to several airports recently that had little or no scheduled service (not always successful, like HKY) -- HKY, ISO, ILG, TTN, OAJ, MTH
Getting to ABE and PHL can be trecherous, PHL is PHL and always will have their problems getting there. ABE seems so close but the traffic on 222 is terrible. There are a few back roads that I know to get me around faster to Allentown. Harrisburg isn't a bad 1 hour drive as it once was. I miss the days of flying into RDG getting off the plane and be home within 10 minutes. If I want to fly RDG, gotta run those charter company flights. Plus I never liked ABE, maybe cause they tried to make it a bigger airport than it really should be. But that's been that way since the 70's. MDT new terminal is nice and I like flying thru there, and the old terminal wasn't too bad. LNS is on the mainline of AMTRAK from PIT-PHL and the Lancaster Countians utilize that alot. RDG has no train service, even though we have a Railroad named after the city on the Monopoly board. Living in RDG everybody must have a car to get places, cause any form of Public Transportation really is bad.

YOUR memory has NOT slipped and don't let the 'BURGHers try to tell you otherwise. Whereas the airport facility is undeniably one of the finest in the world, PIT is NOT and will never be a primary destination for many people. Simple economics doomed this Hub in the era of cost cuttings, just like it did in Nashville and Raleigh.
Amazing logic!

http://www.fayobserver.com/article_ap?id=105427

Note in the article what old Doug says about O & D traffic at CLT and the Intl. flights...

Oh please, don't get me started. In it's short existence in PIT, WN has managed to become the #2 carrier. Explain that one?!

You say US gave PIT what it wanted with lower fares. BULLSH!T. The only fares they lowered where on routes with direct competition with WN. WN gave frequency of flights whereas US didn't once they started eliminating flights. So then you're required to take connecting flights, which if you bother to do some homework you'll find are ALWAYS more expensive. And even though you have to connect with every other airline that serves PIT you can find somewhat cheaper fares, if you're a smart shopper and do some comparison.

So US didn't do any favors for PIT. They wanted that hub gone and they're getting their wish. From over 500 flights a day at it's peak to less than 150 now?? That's a slap in the face to those of us in PIT that helped to keep US flying.

All I have to say is I am so HAPPY that I no longer fly weekly. Moving to FLL and not wasting my life in an airport or airplane has opened my eyes to the lack of life I had because I was so worried about US and trying to keep myself at a Chairmans Preferred level. No more.

I'm sorry to say this but Doug lied. And if US shuttered it's doors tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear now. He's ruined what was a good airline infavor of a HP clone. And who says his model was the correct one to emulate?

Quite easy to explain how WN became #2. They added flights when the other carriers serving PIT did not.

Connecting flights? More often than not, you will find that in a city that is NOT a hub. It's not unique to PIT.

I for one appreciate your efforts over the years to keep US flying. I don't believe that US intended it's latest round of rightsizing to be a slap in the face to anyone. I think it really had more to do with the bottom line, i.e., elimintate unprofitalbe routes, deploying resources to more lucrative markets.

I am very happy for you that you've moved to FLL and can now relax and get a life. Shouldering the responsibility of keeping US aloft must have taken it's toll. You deserve a break! So kick back, relax, and enjoy life!

As for DP lieing, maybe he did, maybe he didnt. Could it possibly be that has minions reacted to the change in market?

Plus the Wings in the Wild Wing Cafe (I think that's the name) are a nice RDG bonus!
I was out there taking a friend so he could fly out, we started to order wings then some beers. I heard from the intercom "Final Call for XXXX flight to PIT". I said they just gave you final call, go, I'll take care of everything. He says they always do that. We also could see the plane parked right outside Wild Wings. All of a sudden the plane starts to taxi out. He just looked at it and started to run after it. I just broke out laughing my a$$ off, I don't ever think I could laugh that hard ever again. The bartender comes over to me and says, That was his flight?, I go Yes it was. I just brought him out here to catch his flight and to eat some wings. Then he found out there was a flight leaving Philly for Houston about exactly an hour, He said let's drive and try to catch it. I go, number one we not going to make PHL in 60 minutes, number two, I am going to have to change cars so I can drive to Philly. The car I had at the time was an Antique (No Night driving allowed). So he rebooked for the next morning. But that never will I forget. After US pulled their service so did the owner of Wild Wings. He left with moving trucks and all, overnight. Now another guy opened it who owns the California Bar and Grill & Beverly Hill Tavern. He calls it Malibooze. I haven't been out there to see what its like. But it is really ashame they remodeled everything and then US (AirMidwest-Mesa) boats. US has a tendency for that I guess. No wonder PHL is really hesitant to help US folks out there.

1. PIT's O&D is greater than CLTs, and climbing...

2006 O&D (Domestic)
PIT : 7,203,420
CLT : 8,197,620

Note these numbers do not include international O&D, which would increase CLT (mostly Caribbean) an additional 1.76M over PIT.

2006 O&D (Domestic)

Note these numbers do not include international O&D, which would increase CLT (mostly Caribbean) an additional 1.76M over PIT.
Something you seem to overlook here is the fact that PIT produced these numbers that are quite near the CLT numbers with less then 1/4 the total number of flts.

In the past even when US reduced some service to PIT the numbers were quite astounding....With the pit numbers over 50% higher then CLT's even as CLT had over 500 flts. a day and PIT had less then 300.....

Something you seem to overlook here is the fact that PIT produced these numbers that are quite near the CLT numbers with less then 1/4 the total number of flts.

In the past even when US reduced some service to PIT the numbers were quite astounding....With the pit numbers over 50% higher then CLT's even as CLT had over 500 flts. a day and PIT had less then 300.....
I haven't overlooked anything, I'm simply presenting the numbers. You can spin it any way you wish, those are however the factual numbers.

In addition, for the 12 months ending February 2007. PIT has lost 4% (-4%) of it's total passengers, versus CLT, which has gained 6% (+6%), since the same period last year.

I am very happy for you that you've moved to FLL and can now relax and get a life. Shouldering the responsibility of keeping US aloft must have taken it's toll. You deserve a break! So kick back, relax, and enjoy life!

I'll ignore the OBVIOUS SARCASM in this paragraph. But I will tell you that I no longer have BRAND (& blind) LOYALTY to USAirways.

Once it was a great airline. During it's 2 BK's your customers felt very bad for the situation that management put you in. But they sold you off and so have I.

I did shoulder a TON of responsiblity by trying to fly US even when there were more cost effective and more time effective alternatives. But NO, being the good customer who knew exactly how I could benefit by continuing to fly US I ended up taking it in the shorts just like the employees did.

Am I bitter? Yes and No. Just like when I worked for KODAK for 7 years, those were exciting times and KODAK was at the top of it's game. But not anymore. KODAK Health Imaging is gone now and so am I.

I am happy I flew US at it's peak and worked for a company I loved too. But times do change and it's always good to move on. And I did.

I believe that some people in PIT are having a hard time believing that CLT is a growing market regardless how many flights are being pushed thru CLT...With all the major expansions going on or planned, that is more reason to believe that O & D numbers are way up...

2006 O&D (Domestic)

Just a small quote from this article:
"While US Airways lopped off flights connecting through Pittsburgh four years ago, the number of passengers originating from or destined for Pittsburgh has grown in that time from about 6.1 million a year to 8.3 million."

So I don't know where you got your numbers!
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_508279.html

Last week WN's CEO stated they are considering starting international service from PHL, either themselves or in partnership with ATA, and are waiting impatietly for the promised 4 additional gates this Fall. I'd speculate WN will likely redefine a portion of their route structure to feed those flights since relying on PHL (internatonal) O&D with US and several others already in the game is probably quite risky. If WN thought PIT had significant potential, I'd think they would have considered it instead of PHL purely from a competitive position - i.e., PIT has No internatonal competitors.

I still think people on this board need to wake up:

The US Airways continuation of cut and run tactics with Southwest will bury it in the end!

"We'll be watching the Pittsburgh market to see if there's an opportunity for Southwest to grow," said airline spokeswoman Whitney Eichinger, who called Pittsburgh "a great market for us." She added: "If we see something where we can add service, we will."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_508279.html

"I think Southwest has a huge incentive to fill the (Baltimore) breach. It's not like those planes were flying empty," said David Beckerman, director of consulting services for BACK Aviation Solutions in Washington."

And don't look now, but Southwest is real close to matching the number of flts. of US mainline in PIT:

"Southwest has 23 daily departures from Pittsburgh to six destinations."

I doubt it. WN has had all the space and time necessaryto expand. It seems that PIT is low to nonexistant on the totem pole compared to DEN,SFO,and PHL.

Get used to it and you'll sleep better

You can bet the farm, WN will be adding more flights soon. Especially in the Florida market. From past experience, US gives its markets to WN on a silver platter.

And don't forget about this stuff and all the crap about cost, it was all smoke and mirrors by US Airways:

I'll give you a B. PIT's cost per enplaned passenger was compared to CLT, with the comparison being about $10 to $4. PIT's cost was never compared to PHL, most likely because the comparison wouldn't have the same impact - PHL was as or more costly per enplaned passenger.

A couple of other things also weren't mentioned. PIT's cost per enplaned passenger had risen from about $6 to $10 because of two factors - the drop in air travel after 911 reduced the number on enplaned passengers over which basically fixed costs were spread (this was true at all commercial airports to some degree including CLT and PHL) and US had already cut back flights at PIT resulting in a further drop in US' enplaned passengers (which raised the cost per enplaned passenger even further for US).

Jim
And what about all of those Frequent Fliers who all got together and are about to launch their business elsewhere

"During peak traffic hours in major hub airports, there is literally no margin for disruption, and even a relatively minor incident can completely screw up the complex choreography. Add weather problems and there's a total meltdown."

"While it may be too soon to tell travelers to avoid booking flights on US Airways, they would certainly be wise to keep these stormy forecasts in mind when evaluating their reservation options and make a purchase decision accordingly.

As Bob Dylan observed, "You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07140/786914-243.stm

I am not trying to sound smug or anything, but a colleague of mine said it best. She explained to me that she continues to be happy in her chosen career as a flight attendant because she constantly reminds herself that the only constant is change and then she adapts accordingly to the changes that come her way. At the end of the day, USAirways' decision to significantly reduce Pittsburgh was long overdue as industry analysts long viewed Airways' close proximity of its hubs (PIT, PHL, BWI) as a strategic imbalance, which subjected the carrier to operational deficiencies (vulnerabilities) especially during inclement weather in the Northeast. This is not unlike Delta closing its DFW hub, United doing away with MIA, and AA shuttering SJC. In this fiercely competitive post-911, high fuel-priced operating environment, it makes economic sense to deploy a company's limited assets to areas that will generate the most revenue and maximize profits. As EMBFA eloquently stated, there are two ways to look at it: One way is for the PIT employees to be grateful for the fact that they were able to be based in their hometowns for so many years of their airline careers. While it may take more effort to get to work across the state, former PSA employees had to relocate across the country. Just trying to help put it in perspective...

While it may take more effort to get to work across the state, former PSA employees had to relocate across the country. Just trying to help put it in perspective...
I remember those days. I was still with U and spoke with a stores superivsor (formerly PSA) whom I worked with for years (me in PIT her in SAN) who was given the option of taking a job as a MTC Planner in PIT or being laid off. She was only given to the end of her shift to decide. She decided to stay in SAN and left the company.

I am not trying to sound smug or anything, but a colleague oAt the end of the day, USAirways' decision to significantly reduce Pittsburgh was long overdue as industry analysts long viewed Airways' close proximity of its hubs (PIT, PHL, BWI) as a strategic imbalance, which subjected the carrier to operational deficiencies (vulnerabilities) especially during inclement weather in the Northeast. This is not unlike Delta closing its DFW hub, United doing away with MIA, and AA shuttering SJC. In this fiercely competitive post-911, high fuel-priced operating environment, it makes economic sense to deploy a company's limited assets to areas that will generate the most revenue and maximize profits.

Couple of items:

1. PIT and BWI had no problem with weather. PHL did. Let's not confuse the issue with the locations of the hubs with weather. That's only a PHL thing.

2. Will US find more profitable places in the short term for aircraft than PIT? Maybe.

Does the run and hide strategy scale? Nope.