MSP gains DL HNL flights

metopower said:
Yes I have 777. 767-400. 767 ER 767 757 m88 m 90 737 727 dc10 m11.....and others....b757 is my favorite. 777lr is close second...not a fan of the 767er.
have you flown the 737-700? I figure if you like the 57 its because it can get up and go......the little 737 is a fun ride too. 

I've heard exactly that. It is a rocket compared to the 800 and 900. But no . My 737 time was in the basic 200 ,200 advanced and the 300.by the way I was on the 737 for 6 years and the mad dog for 6 years also.... I much preferred the mad dog especially the 90..... Personal preference.

metopower said:
I've heard exactly that. It is a rocket compared to the 800 and 900. But no . My 737 time was in the basic 200 ,200 advanced and the 300.by the way I was on the 737 for 6 years and the mad dog for 6 years also.... I much preferred the mad dog especially the 90..... Personal preference.
I have flown on them once or twice (one of these days I'm going to do a Key West turn on one) 

They put you in your seat for sure. I haven't ever gotten to run one or be on a run but i want too. (please no jokes about the one going over the hill) 

the cockpit on the 737 and MD80s suck the same to me. I will give airbus that, 32S has much more room. 

I must agree ..very nice cockpits. Just not a fan of the airbus philosophy or Architecture as far as the flight controls and engine controls are concerned.

metopower said:
I must agree ..very nice cockpits. Just not a fan of the airbus philosophy or Architecture as far as the flight controls and engine controls are concerned.
I agree. Not a fan of the FBW system on the buses. 

but i would much rather work on one compared to a little Boeing. (10x for a 737) 

Yes I have 777. 767-400. 767 ER 767 757 m88 m 90 737 727 dc10 m11.....and others....b757 is my favorite. 777lr is close second...not a fan of the 767er.
can you say why you don't like the 767ER?

on the subject of Asia/Pacific, here is something to keep an eye on...

"Incheon International Airport Corp. president Park Wan-su will meet Delta Airlines CEO Richard Anderson later this month to discuss ways to increase the number of transfer passengers at the Korean airport, officials said Wednesday.

“The top executives will meet on Dec. 16 when Park visits Delta’s Atlanta headquarters,” said a ranking airport official. “They are highly likely to discuss moving the airline’s Asian hub from Narita to Incheon.”

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20141203001059

I'm sure moving the NRT hub to ICN would do wonders for DL's relationship with Korean.

But, then again, they seem to have lots of experience in overlaying a hub on top of a partner's existing hub.

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
I'm sure moving the NRT hub to ICN would do wonders for DL's relationship with Korean.

But, then again, they seem to have lots of experience in overlaying a hub on top of a partner's existing hub.
get a jv and delta can outsource all the Asian flying to KE. That was the plan with JAL..... 

Reactions: 2 people
get a jv and delta can outsource all the Asian flying to KE. That was the plan with JAL.....
are you sure of that?

you do realize that DL is larger on the two banks it operates at NRT than JL is? JL's larger size at NRT as a whole is due to schedules at other times of the day to markets (mostly Europe) that DL does not serve from NRT.

and again despite your repeated attempts to say that DL is outsourcing flying, DL's network is growing in Europe faster than its JV peers and even with the restructuring of DL's Pacific network, capacity has remained flat. DL is simply trading intra-Asia capacity for increased TPAC capacity.

DL does feed codeshare traffic to KE at ICN on the terms that KE establishes and KE is happy to take it. There have been spats about the US side of feed - DL has pulled its code from flights that feed KE TPAC flights but IIRC AA has done similar things.

We don't know what DL is asking of KE but it does seem clear that DL intends to have a large enough presence in Asia that it will be necessary for them to have an intra-Asia component to their network, something that UA has largely dismantled and AA does not have. There are parts of Asia that will be difficult for any US carrier to serve without having their own metal, based on the number of seats a codeshare/JV partner can offer and at what prices and because of geography.

I'm not sure of the terms under which DL could downsize its NRT hub even further and move some of the intra-Asia portions to ICN but it is possible that one of the DL requirements is that DL will operate some of its own intra-Asia flights along with codeshares on KE flights.

It's also worth noting that the 330/350 has a common cockpit with the 320 family which could allow DL to base narrowbody aircraft in Asia and serve some long/thin markets while the larger hub at ICN could allow DL to turn widebodies back around to the US.
I would imagine part of the decision regarding a move involves costs low enough to make smaller gauge flights more economical. It is well known that Tokyo airports are much more expensive.

And, yes, it is likely that DL is applying what it has learned from AS to its dealings with KE. The principle is the same. DL wants a partner that is willing to give DL a decent-sized role in the partnership unlike most partnerships where the partner controls seat allocation and pricing.
are you sure of that?

you do realize that DL is larger on the two banks it operates at NRT than JL is? JL's larger size at NRT as a whole is due to schedules at other times of the day to markets (mostly Europe) that DL does not serve from NRT.

and again despite your repeated attempts to say that DL is outsourcing flying, DL's network is growing in Europe faster than its JV peers and even with the restructuring of DL's Pacific network, capacity has remained flat. DL is simply trading intra-Asia capacity for increased TPAC capacity.

DL does feed codeshare traffic to KE at ICN on the terms that KE establishes and KE is happy to take it. There have been spats about the US side of feed - DL has pulled its code from flights that feed KE TPAC flights but IIRC AA has done similar things.

We don't know what DL is asking of KE but it does seem clear that DL intends to have a large enough presence in Asia that it will be necessary for them to have an intra-Asia component to their network, something that UA has largely dismantled and AA does not have. There are parts of Asia that will be difficult for any US carrier to serve without having their own metal, based on the number of seats a codeshare/JV partner can offer and at what prices and because of geography.

I'm not sure of the terms under which DL could downsize its NRT hub even further and move some of the intra-Asia portions to ICN but it is possible that one of the DL requirements is that DL will operate some of its own intra-Asia flights along with codeshares on KE flights.

It's also worth noting that the 330/350 has a common cockpit with the 320 family which could allow DL to base narrowbody aircraft in Asia and serve some long/thin markets while the larger hub at ICN could allow DL to turn widebodies back around to the US.
I would imagine part of the decision regarding a move involves costs low enough to make smaller gauge flights more economical. It is well known that Tokyo airports are much more expensive.

And, yes, it is likely that DL is applying what it has learned from AS to its dealings with KE. The principle is the same. DL wants a partner that is willing to give DL a decent-sized role in the partnership unlike most partnerships where the partner controls seat allocation and pricing.

Also likely validates that DL doesn't intend to walk away from the local Japan market but instead to regauge it using low enough cost aircraft to be able to compete in the markets that remain. Given that the 339 will have trip costs that are not much higher than a 767 but with 60-75 more seats even if DL goes with a new premium economy cabin, DL is in a good position to focus on the Asian side of restructuring its transpac network.

perhaps we will hear more on investor day.