MSP gains DL HNL flights

actually DL is now larger than home country airlines - before you know it DL will be larger than OZ and KE at ICN

eolesen said:
Trying to keep your word count up by duplicating your own post within your own post?.... ;)
or perhaps because the edit function did not work so I had to copy and paste.

eolesen said:
It's one of the most confusing bilateral agreements left... there's no real list you can go to for the frequencies in use or dormant.
I found a list of who has what - not prepared by DOT but prepared by AA last summer when it applied for seven weekly frequencies for DFW-PEK. It's an exhibit to the AA application:

http://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?objectId=0900006481890516&disposition=attachment&contentType=pdf

DOT didn't argue with AA, and agreed that there were 37 frequencies available (30 following approval of DFW-PEK), so I assume it's correct.

AA now has 35 weekly frequencies to Zone 1, Delta has 35 frequencies to Zone 1 and UA now has 65 (including the just approved second daily seasonal SFO-PVG).

topDawg said:
I don't believe your count has the 7 weekly frequencies Delta gave up for NRT-PEK. (assuming Delta isn't just sitting on them)
According to AA, the seven NRT-PEK frequencies are included in the now total available pool of 23, as they reverted to the pool when DL cancelled NRT-PEK.

Basically, there are still enough for three more daily flights (plus two extra frequencies).

Int'l capacity is weaker and the flight will be used with aircraft that would otherwise be used to Europe/S. America, fuel prices are lower which makes lower yielding long haul flights viable, and MSP is offering incentives to DL.

bribed?

I'm sure you have a picture of the table that was put under the table.

no, there are marketing incentives that MSP was willing to offer.

such a shame that apparently none of AA's hub airports were offering the same.

actually it's an approach likes to use - get an airport to pay for a flight to see if they can make it - PIT-CDG, etc

they struggle with figuring out routes on their own so they go for a government handout - helps explain support for immigration (for those of you who follow this forum I was trying a WT approach) say something then switch topics

Reactions: 1 person
you really don't want to go there.

There are many markets by many carriers that have incentives of one kind or another.

You are clearly obsessed. Immigration? honestly?

WorldTraveler said:
There are many markets by many carriers that have incentives of one kind or another.
Really? I know Airtran and Frontier chased these, but I really can't think of too many recent examples where AA, UA, or WN have taken grant money, marketing incentives, revenue guarantees, or landing fee waivers. In the past? Sure, but the strings attached get a little too constrictive when it doesn't work.

Given DL's history on taking public funds in Minnesota, why would the airport even think of doing something like that?

WorldTraveler said:
you really don't want to go there.

You are clearly obsessed. Immigration? honestly?

Really - who is obsessed - on a 15 to 1 ratio you win that contest - I realize you can't do math so let me explain - you have 15,100 posts - I have 1,000 so you divide each number by 1000 and then you see you have a 15 to 1 ratio - that means for every post of mine you do 15 - so that means you are 15 times more obsessed than me - so on this one you win

it's a tough one for you - do you say others are obsessed when you are unhinged?

what does the number of posts have to do with immigration or Hawaii?

absolutely nothing.

Many ski markets are subsidized or have some sort of support.

so do some Caribbean markets.

The RDU-LHR flight at least at one time had incentives or revenue guarantees.

All of the childish talk about DL accepting incentives is nothing but jealousy from those whose hubs don't provide it.....

for all of the pride about serving major markets like ORD, you might consider that ORD is not going to offer marketing incentives to start a flight to Hawaii. 'cause they have them.

DL and MSP/MN have good working relationships just as NW did. and MSP is one of the lowest cost large hubs.

for whatever reason, MSP and DL managed to find common ground for starting a HNL flight.

good for both of them regardless of what anyone here thinks.