Msy Evacuation Flights

FWAAA said:
The reason I posted my political bent was to dispel any notion that I'm just another bitter liberal piling on the President and Republicans. I'm a lifelong Republican who is growing madder every day at the fools leading FEMA and DHS.
[post="297816"][/post]​

As an independent conservative who has voted for Bush (or was it against Kerry?...), I'm equally pissed with FEMA and DHS.

I thnk the point about changing leaders while there are still people waiting to be rescued is probably quite valid. A month from now, I think it's clear that Brown will no longer have FEMA, and with any luck, Chertoff will be with him.

DHS's mission was pretty clear when created, but they've failed on more counts than not. The only upside I've seen is the combining of Customs, Border Patrol, and Immigration into single agency. Even there, it's pretty obvious that CBP and TSA can't seem to coordinate with each other even though they belong to the same department.

So, if two agencies within the same department can't coordinate on a day to day basis, there's probably little hope that they'll be able to do so in a crisis. FEMA can't be any better, and they've proven that over and over.

In my opinion, FEMA needs to go under the Department of Defense.

corl737 said:
It only makes sense to fire the leaders in the middle of the stream if there are competent replacements available. If your flight hit unforecast clear air turbulence enroute you wouldn't immediately throw the pilots out the window would you?
[post="297529"][/post]​

Well, the President took far too many days to do it, but he has essentially fired the moron Brown in mid-stream:

FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties
By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer
18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role in managing the Bush administration's Hurricane Katrina relief efforts and is returning to Washington.

Brown, who has been under fire for the federal government's slow response to the storm that devastated much of the Gulf Coast region, will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts.

Asked if he was being made a scapegoat for a federal relief effort that has drawn widespread and sharp criticism, Brown told The Associated Press after a long pause: "By the press, yes. By the president, No."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050909/ap_on_...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

What an absolute moron. If he had any integrity at all, he would have stepped down at least 10 days ago when his incompetence became well-known. What an absolute loser. He should be locked in the Superdome without any food or water for several days. With 20,000 others - perhaps some prisons could lend some volunteers to accompany him.

Back