My Bottom Line

Bradly71 said:
You're voting for President, not CEO. Unfortunately the President has nothing to do with the state of US Airways at this point. You could make it political, but you would have to be willing to go back and look at the affect that NAFTA has had on our society and our economy. .. Just my two cents
[post="175691"][/post]​

Click on Link: To see if it's irrelevant or not....

At least we know the man's "intent"

'outsourcing' jobs

700UW said:
Guess you never heard of the following companies:
PSA
Alleghany
Piedmont
Mesa
Trans States
Chautaqua
ACA
Comair
Mesaba
Express One
ASA
Express Jet
SkyWest
Colgan
Shuttle America
Air Wisconsin.
[post="175751"][/post]​
yeh i heard of them whats your point!

Guess you don't get it.

It shows your pilot job can be outsourced just like anyone elses.

CAV,

You and I live in the same area. I was born towards the end of the Steel mill area and have seen many family members and friends go through the struggles you mentioned. I am a fledgling in the working class at only 31 and know/remember the world outside of U. I came to U as a young stay at home mother who had to find a quick way to cover the income my husband had been losing. I was also well aware of the struggles the working middle class face. I reached the threshhold of middle class income once for one year. All others have been in a perpetual state of being in the poor house. If I say yes to any concessions, it would be saying yes to a second job and the death of any hopes to earn a livable wage not only for me but for those who follow once I leave.

I agree that some people don't realize what they had until it's gone, I really don't think that is the case for most U employees. U employees are simply drawing the line and they have had enough. I also think consumers are fed up and by what they tell me on a daily basis they are simply disgusted with management and the slaughtering of the lambs. I have more and more people say to me on a daily basis, "I feel for you." in one way or another.

You had it good at U for awhile, just like all the others; however, it was not charity you were doing. You went to work, did your job, and got a pay check. You, as a laborer, earned your pay by doing hard work to keep a company running. Yes, most of us had good income and when the time came we gave up a good portion of that income to keep the company running but that was under the pretense that management could intelligently run the company and keep us out of bankruptcy.

As I said before, this goes beyond U. Many different people from many different companies are faced with the same decision. When do I say enough is enough? Do I work for pennies to the dollar while the big men keep getting fatter or do I swallow the fear and risk it all? How do you fight a battle that is so enormous and seems undefeatable? I don't have an answer for that. I would imagine starting with Legislators, Senators, etc. I do know where it begins. It starts with you, me, the neighbor working at the local energy company. It begins with each individual person in the lower and middle class deciding that a voice once dead will be heard again.

youngblood said:
I have more and more people say to me on a daily basis, "I feel for you." in one way or another.
[post="176441"][/post]​
BUT, if they can buy a ticket for $3 cheaper from someone else, they will do it in a heartbeat and not look back.

THAT is the real root of the problem.

youngblood:

I can only speak to the mechanics which is where I was.

In that area we had cleaners and store people whose responsibilities include cleaning and delivering parts and for those chores they make what skilled labor makes non union, this I know as I live it! This cannot and will not stand, watch and see, sorry 700 no betrayal, just the sorry truth.

Mechanics on the outside, also very skilled, don't make $29 an hour either, look no further than the new airline where a mechanics makes more like $13 an hour! Crap wages!!

I was just making a point and realize it's a very sore spot for most to swallow, but it’s fact that big paying jobs are not that easy to come by with most being way less, FACT.

The customer service people I have no clue but from what you tell me that you make, I simply would go elsewhere rather that put up with screaming customers all day.

My point: At the mechanic level outside the airline industry mechanics simply don’t command the kind of money they get paid in the airlines, which the unions won for them. Some will come on here and tell me I am full of it and to that I say yes you can make more if you move to some big city where it costs more to live so there is no real gain.

I am not advocating accepting anything. My belief, I live it. I really feel this is a lost cause and I chose to move on, convinced the unions will get smashed and when it’s all said and done working in or out of the airline industry will no longer make a difference! I left and also left behind all the heartache and stress I read on these boards. Do I make less? Yes, a little, but the difference in mental health makes up the difference 100 fold! I simply didn’t need to go thru any more grief of hearing daily how bad things are and how much worse they are going to become. Good luck to the ones actually believing $30 an hour jobs are plentiful, hell, pilots work for less these days! Lost cause IMO and I’m just too old to fight anymore and decided enough was enough and let the ones with more spirit fight the war. Good Luck, you’ll surely need it.

Let's not forget that the airline industry was deregulated under a Southern Democratic President (Carter). What is happening at USAirways today is pretty much exactly as it was scripted 25 years ago - although considerably longer in taking place than deregulation's authors predicted.

Yes, America has gone through a Wal-Martization that is troubling to me too. But keep in mind that those low prices on every kind of good and service enables you to buy things you would have never been able to acquire. Take a look at the Best Buy circular (or any similar merchants) and then look for something in there you bought recently. Chances are you get more product for much less money than you did just a few months ago.

Yes, it hurts when brutal competition comes at the expense of your job and your lifestyle. But don't ever forget that your lifestyle has been elevated by the job losses that others have endured in order to bring you the low prices you demand.

No US President, Democratic or Republican, will stop the momentum of market forces.

WorldTraveler said:
No US President, Democratic or Republican, will stop the momentum of market forces.
[post="176462"][/post]​

Amen

The only thing that you can really change is your own reality by pursuing a decent job that supports you and your responsibilities and that you actually enjoy, that change is made by consistently improving yourself. There is no instant, I'm there, doesn't work that way, remember what Daddy told you, strive and move forward.

WorldTraveler said:
But don't ever forget that your lifestyle has been elevated by the job losses that others have endured in order to bring you the low prices you demand.

[post="176462"][/post]​

Ever hear of Aldis? It's a grocery chain that I shop at where they sell off brand and brand named goods for 30 to 50% less than the major chains. Know why I shop there besides the prices? Because their cashiers start at $10/hr. Much more than the cashiers at the major chains. Why is it that they can pay their employees more and sell their product for less? And why can't it be done elsewhere?

My lifestyle is by no means elevated. I don't buy what I want for the sake of buying it. I buy what I NEED. I rarely shop at Walmart and when I do any shopping it usually breaks me. On the rare occasion that I indulge myself and my family and buy a Special item I go for the best product if I can afford it. And if I can't, guess what. I don't buy it.

youngblood said:
On the rare occasion that I indulge myself and my family and buy a Special item I go for the best product if I can afford it. And if I can't, guess what. I don't buy it.
[post="176560"][/post]​

What a novel concept! Buying only what you can afford! Are you sure you're a real Ammurrican? :lol:

I remember as a child being told "We can't afford it." Not, wait until next month or let me check the balance on the credit card, or we'll ask Santa. It was we can't afford it.

Result of that frugality along with a rigid savings program--always pay yourself first: my father was paralyzed on the left side of his body and required extensive care for the last 15 years of his life. My mother is now in a dementia care unit that costs $5000/mo! None of us children has ever had to put forth one dime for their care.

As for me, I'm just glad I have a number of nieces and nephews to be a burden to. :p