Bottom of the Recall List reached...decision time is here

flyguy121

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
So after 6 and a half years, my # was finally reached for recall. I'm disappointed to say I was unable to hold PHL, which stopped only 5 names before my own...

I'm now left with the dilemma of what to do now. Returning to this job would be difficult enough in PHL, but being faced with this decision to return now to another city (even temporarily) or resign forever is even more of a difficult choice.

Bottom line for me is I've always wanted to try my hand at the job again, but cannot live on this pay without another source of income. And who wants a part-time employee with an unpredictable schedule for "occasional work"? Seems like an impossible scenario, but deep down I don't want to walk away... :unsure:

So after 6 and a half years, my # was finally reached for recall. I'm disappointed to say I was unable to hold PHL, which stopped only 5 names before my own...

I'm now left with the dilemma of what to do now. Returning to this job would be difficult enough in PHL, but being faced with this decision to return now to another city (even temporarily) or resign forever is even more of a difficult choice.

Bottom line for me is I've always wanted to try my hand at the job again, but cannot live on this pay without another source of income. And who wants a part-time employee with an unpredictable schedule for "occasional work"? Seems like an impossible scenario, but deep down I don't want to walk away... :unsure:

Don't go back. Do not walk, run from the industry. Use the recall letter for something useful like starting a fire in your barbeque or fireplace.

How did they notify you of this?
[/quote]

Confirmed it with Mark in Tempe.

I can not answer for you but imo you should run. What city were you offered ? The only way I would come back would be if I had other income & I loved this job enough to do it for free,

Get it in your head right now! What this job was 6 years ago is not what it is today. You might recognize some faces around here, but you won't recognize this airline. Everything is in shambles. What you will see is dirty airplanes, dirty attitudes from employees (and for good reason this place sucks), dirty unions, dirty management, and dirty attitudes from pax. As for your paycheck, what paycheck? You do realize you will probably be coming back making $21 an hour? If you truly decide that you want to be a flight attendant, then go work for a major airline like Delta or Continental. They're hiring right now and you will be a blockholder before we even make it to A scale.

Get it in your head right now! What this job was 6 years ago is not what it is today. You might recognize some faces around here, but you won't recognize this airline. Everything is in shambles. What you will see is dirty airplanes, dirty attitudes from employees (and for good reason this place sucks), dirty unions, dirty management, and dirty attitudes from pax. As for your paycheck, what paycheck? You do realize you will probably be coming back making $21 an hour? If you truly decide that you want to be a flight attendant, then go work for a major airline like Delta or Continental. They're hiring right now and you will be a blockholder before we even make it to A scale.
oops..raise to $19.61 flight hour as of 1/1/08 which is still less than starting pay in 2000.....

I can not answer for you but imo you should run. What city were you offered ? The only way I would come back would be if I had other income & I loved this job enough to do it for free,

I haven't been offered a city yet, but I will be one of the first receiving a "return or resign" letter very shortly.

I would be coming back @ $19.13 an hour from what I've been told.

I have been kept well informed while gone, and am aware the airline is nothing like it was in 2001, but we were barely flying then and struggling to get by financially, so really, how would it be all that different for myself?

Here is our payscale for 2008. It looks grim doesn't it? My take home pay is about $1300 a month give or take a few and that's with me making $24 an hour if that tells you anything.

Effective 1/1/08

1st year $19.13
2nd Year 20.23
3rd Year 21.51
4th year 22.11
5th Year 25.06
6th Year 30.81
7th Year 32.48
8th Year 33.27
9th Year 34.35
10th Year 35.45
11th Year 36.23
12th Year 37.09
13th Year 37.90
14+ Years 38.73

As much as I would love to see you come back, please think about it long and hard. Read this thread over and over again: June Recalls

BTW, did they say if CLT was filled or not?

Here is our payscale for 2008. It looks grim doesn't it? My take home pay is about $1300 a month give or take a few and that's with me making $24 an hour if that tells you anything.

Effective 1/1/08

1st year $19.13
2nd Year 20.23
3rd Year 21.51
4th year 22.11
5th Year 25.06
6th Year 30.81
7th Year 32.48
8th Year 33.27
9th Year 34.35
10th Year 35.45
11th Year 36.23
12th Year 37.09
13th Year 37.90
14+ Years 38.73
I stand corrected. Forgot about 1/1/08 raise and the rate I said was for a 2001 hire. Thank you.

Well I'm sure you wouldn't want to come back and struggle financially again. This airline is NOT worth it. Don't let the fascination and passion of being a flight attendant steer your career in this direction. Other airlines can offer you SO much more. I'm very happy to see the airline bring these people back but these recalls are not needed on property. Believe me I don't mean for that to sound rude, simply stating a fact. We don't fly as it is and you will just be added to the pot to sit and sit and sit. For those thinking of returning just be sure your thinking of your career and retirement, not just TODAY. Can you retire down the road on ohhhh say $1,200.00 a month? I seriously doubt it. We'll be the NEXT group of people that can't afford to quit. Also why "choose" a career where you'll almost certainly need a second job? It's a personal choice. Choose wisely folks. For those who do, "Welcome back". :up:

I stand corrected. Forgot about 1/1/08 raise and the rate I said was for a 2001 hire. Thank you.

No, I stand corrected because I said $21 (which is what I was making when I came back) and you were like, no more like $18. I totally forgot we have some people coming back who were in their first year. Duh!

I haven't been offered a city yet, but I will be one of the first receiving a "return or resign" letter very shortly.

I would be coming back @ $19.13 an hour from what I've been told.

I have been kept well informed while gone, and am aware the airline is nothing like it was in 2001, but we were barely flying then and struggling to get by financially, so really, how would it be all that different for myself?
Do you have a sugar daddy?

if you are really itching to get back into this i would tell you to go start with someone else. like continental. just my opinion. sad to say but there really is no future here at airways the way it stands right now. something may happen in the future that makes your decision a bad one but the airline industry is a gamble . you never know what's gonna happen next. we are in the midst of strong consolidation rumors that might be good or bad for usairways . we all know how our mangement team thinks about consolidation in the industry . trust me that with this delta announcemnt usairways will not stand still and let this go. they will aggressivley pursue something or someone. wether the other party bites , that's the question. good luck .

If you really want to come back...go for it!!! Remember you can transfer to PHL if you can last financially for a few months.....

There is alot of negativity (and it is true) but you have to do what your gut tells you!!!

Latest posts