Letter from a former US Customer

DrBeth

Senior
Feb 6, 2007
TRI
www.linkedin.com
A letter to US management from a former US customer (not me, but I received permission to post!) :up:

Thank you for your Valentine’s day email. It warms my heart to know that my airline of choice bothered to think of me on such a special day. As part of my continuing 9+ year effort to support your company through thick and thin, I am writing to announce a major improvement in my loyalty to your airline. I'm making this change to help you offset record prices and airline expenses while maintaining the benefits I've come to expect. I've carefully calculated that complete with checked bags and carry on items I often add nearly 300lbs to your aircraft every time I fly. In view of the fact that I typically do this 30 - 40 times a year, I'm shocked to confess that I cause my airline of choice to burn enough fuel to carry around 12,000 extra pounds on an annual basis.

No more! Effective immediately I will shift all of that burdensome weight to United. I consider this a win-win, value-add, buzzword buzzword service improvement. You'll save tons of money at a time of record fuel prices. Meanwhile I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that I'm supporting your bottom line by causing your competitor to carry around my hefty bottom line!

In view of the fact that I often fly in the Northeast, I may be required to occasionally weigh-down one of your aircraft. Fear not, I've concocted a plan to ensure that I minimize the cost to you, and maximize the cost to United. I plan to credit any US flights to my UA mileage account. That way they’ll have to pay for all of those costly miles. (Did you know that those fools will give away 500 miles on a $400+ one-way ticket from DCA to LGA?! ) What a bunch of morons. They really give away the house.

I will even use the United website to book my codeshare flights. That way I'm not causing undue burden on your industry leading information systems. Just think of all the money I'll be costing United. Imagine all the weight I could add to UA’s planes if I convinced even a few dozen of the US loyal to follow me. Their planes will be falling out of the sky!

Thanks for continuing to take US for a ride!

P.S., Thanks for suggesting this change at the start of the calendar year. It sure makes the whole status match and maintenance thereof thing a lot easier. You're ever so thoughtful.

Subscription Information. You have received this message because you hold yourself out as my airline of choice. If you prefer to never receive email from me again, you may unsubscribe by simply enacting one more service improvement to your Dividend Miles Program. Allow up to five days for your name to be added to the bankruptcy court docket.

Very funny and sad too.
o make

This sums up the Management team. Its funny to see all the ways they try to make money not managing the operations of an airline. It iss sad how their cheapness effects all employees and customers who have been loyal for many years.

Just manage the airline in the best possible way, forget about the add on revenue from barf bags, and trying to find a two cent snack.

They don't need to worry about flying my weight around any longer either

I was awed by how fast service and operational reliability went downhill after the PI/US merger. I thought, never in corporate history will such a thing be allowed again. This abortion of a merger will be taught in all of the business schools as "What Not To Do!"

Not for the last time, I was wrong.

Why would any FF ever use their DM card any longer? Just put any flights that you need to fly on you UA account. That is what I urge all of my clients to do.

Me? I'm stuck in PHL and I have of a pretty much assured upgrade and a direct flight to nearly anywhere in the country so long as I stay a CP. If I fly UA instead then E+ and a connection is my fate at best.

If I have to connect or fly in a CRJ or an E70 then the story changes. In this situation UA's E+ is a better choice.

All the valid complaints notwithstanding, the US product in F is bearable and getting better and I'm generally happy to be there. If for some reason I stopped getting automatic upgrades, then I would have very little reason to have a relationship with US.

Me? I'm stuck in PHL and I have of a pretty much assured upgrade and a direct flight to nearly anywhere in the country so long as I stay a CP. If I fly UA instead then E+ and a connection is my fate at best.

If I have to connect or fly in a CRJ or an E70 then the story changes. In this situation UA's E+ is a better choice.

All the valid complaints notwithstanding, the US product in F is bearable and getting better and I'm generally happy to be there. If for some reason I stopped getting automatic upgrades, then I would have very little reason to have a relationship with US.
Yeah, but use your UA Mileage Card to rack the miles up. You still fly US but under a codeshare with UA. I think the only routes that are not codeshare available is the N/S to LAX and SFO and ORD and DEN, but if you have to connect then they are codeshared.

Yeah, but use your UA Mileage Card to rack the miles up. You still fly US but under a codeshare
Except then you say goodbye to the automatic upgrades (when available) and technically even the ability to choose exit rows when the U/G isn't available. Those are apparently the only reason he chooses US in the first place (well, plus the non-stops which would be in coach as a UA elite).

Jim

Very funny and sad too.

You people just don't get it!!!!

I am NOT sticky up for US, but airlines HAVE TO MAKE UP FOR FUEL COSTS!!!!

All are doiing it. In fact, UNITED was the one that started it.

If any of you are will to take ANOTHER cut in you wage to support ANY customers ability to fly a price THEY want, here is Doug and Scott's e -mail. You can tell them that you are willing to do YOUR part and enable passengers to flly cheap and YOU will take the fuel burden.

[email protected]
[email protected]

I am sure they will try to get others to join you in your plight for the passengers apparent unfair treatment.. NOT

Twicebaked,

Actually it's YOU who don't get it. United made a change which raises revenue, but is targeted toward those customers who typically pay the lowest fares...and that is TOTALLY fair. US made a change squarely targeted at those customers who typically pay the HIGHEST fares, and who contribute an inordinate share of the revenue. There's a big difference.

No one is saying that the employees should give more....in fact we advocate a raise for most employees (and a pay cut for management by the way). What we ARE saying is that there are other ways to raise the revenue and cut costs. The explanations given by US for reducing mileage accrual are EXCUSES not REASONS. They are excuses because this management team is inept and can't come up with other ideas such as what United did. It shows a clear bias AGAINST the frequent business traveler, an comments made by Doug and Scott at Town Halls CLEARLY show this bias. If they truly want to be a Kettle Carrier, we're about to grant their wish.

There are MANY things they could have done, and to be honest one of them is RAISE FARES. There is no place in today's economic reality for fares as low as $99 for transcon--it makes NO sense. The airline business is the ONLY one which does not price according to cost of goods plus markup. Loss leaders are appropriate but not when the majority of fares lose money. It is possible to have a profitable airline without gouging the top end of the revenue stream. Airline fares today are barely higher than they were 20 years ago, if not LOWER, and THAT my friends is the root of the problem. I have no problem paying my way, but I am not going to subsidize the Kettles.

Frequent business travelers are SICK and TIRED of subsidizing Ma and Pa Kettle who want to travel cross country for $200 or less. It's time they pay their fair share. $979 PHL-BOS is obscene, as is $1200 ALB-BUF. And THESE are the routes where people are being penalized.

What we need to do is find a way for labor and customers to band together and let Tempe know we're not going to take it any more. Perhaps if we find a way to show a united front we can be more effective....and that, my friends is the premise behind FFOCUS.

My BEST to you all.....

Except then you say goodbye to the automatic upgrades (when available) and technically even the ability to choose exit rows when the U/G isn't available. Those are apparently the only reason he chooses US in the first place (well, plus the non-stops which would be in coach as a UA elite).

Jim

You said it better than I did.

Twicebaked,

Frequent business travelers are SICK and TIRED of subsidizing Ma and Pa Kettle who want to travel cross country for $200 or less. It's time they pay their fair share. $979 PHL-BOS is obscene, as is $1200 ALB-BUF. And THESE are the routes where people are being penalized.

Art I just priced MHT-LGA $602.00 Plus tax. And what I am hearing from management m"wait we got more for you!" We have not gouged you enogh on this trip, we found a mew way to gouge you even more. We are only crediting miles you flew, not the 500 minimum as in the past.

We have no pricing power on the PHX-LAS route, so we will stick it to you east coasters.

'Sorry Charlie' NO more flights for me on US.

While we're on the subject of FF miles, I have a US Airways VISA card that I have used to accumulate a modest amount of miles. However, it has recently occurred to me that these miles are virtually useless.

The only place US flies to out of the three airports closest to my home is PHL. I don't want to go to PHL.

I'm probably going to open a new credit card account that accrues miles for a real airline. In my neck of the woods, the best choices would be AA or DL. The question is, once I have established an FF account with another airline, is there a way to transfer the USeless miles to the new airline?

Or, if not, can those miles be used on other Star carriers, like UA or AC? And if so, at what penalty?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.

Latest posts