Need Advice! Should I Bid Srq Mainline Express Job

FLYUSAIRWAYS

Advanced
Feb 21, 2004
:D Hi. This is my first post. Have enjoyed reading all the news here for several months. This is my question. If you had 27 years seniority as an agent, and are now part time because of 9-11, and your base station is down to 4 mainline flights a day, and about 24 RJ's and Dash 8's. would you bid SRQ Mainline Express , reducing your pay down to $13.01 an hour, or stay Mainline at 20.30 an hour and hope for the best? By the looks of things, the customer service agent job is going the same way as the Travel Agent (dinosaur). I have always wanted to leave the snow belt and move to Florida, so this is my chance. I'm to young to retire. Do you think that the mainline express agents making $13 an hour will also take the 25% pay cut? If they do , then they will make only $9.75 an hour. At this rate, welfare is looking better. Does anyone know if you go from Mainline to Mainline Express, do you keep your 6 weeks vacation, sick bank, seniority, and S3 Boarding Priority Code? Thanks in advance for all your replies.

28yearsnojob said:
:down: If you have 27 yrs and dont know the answers to those questions
you better retire
That wasn't even necessary. Everyone wants/needs another view at one time or another.

Would you be full or part time in SRQ? I know at one time this was a very senior station, so if they would stay you need to find out what your status would be. Also if you would be part time, sometimes with just three flights your shifts are split.

Tough call there.

How secure is the new job in SRQ with mainline express? If it was secure, and knowing that I've wanted to move to the sunbelt, I would do it. The cost of living is a lot cheaper and the $7.29/hr pay decrease won't hurt as much as it would if you got reduced to that rate in your current location. Check the job market in SRQ to get an idea of what kind of job/salary you could expect to find should the job at mainline express disappear.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

FLYUSAIRWAYS said:
:D would you bid SRQ Mainline Express , reducing your pay down to $13.01 an hour, or stay Mainline at 20.30 an hour and hope for the best? Do you think that the mainline express agents making $13 an hour will also take the 25% pay cut? If they do , then they will make only $9.75 an hour. At this rate, welfare is looking better.
Don't worry Dr Bonner would never cut your pay to less than Walmart wages - 13.05 or 9.75 after 20 years of service to this wonderful company. Here's what has been post about him!!! ;)

"He identifies with the little guy because he once was one; who worked as a switchman on the railroad to earn money for college. He is a self made man who went from the pool hall to a PhD and a law degree. He once started a criminal investigation on the word of a janitor. He has an impressive list of people he doesn't like, which is just about everyone he considers a quick buck artist. He can't stand the guys from WorldCom and Enron or Donald Trump. He has forced corporate big wigs to come to Alabama to testify in lawsuits. He deplores American jobs going overseas and doesn't like managers who send them there. He is not pleased with the "WalMarting" of American jobs"

deltawatch said:
He can't stand the guys from WorldCom and Enron or Donald Trump.
Funny you said Donald Trump, first time I saw his picture that is who I thought of.

I would rather have Trump, at least you know exactly where you stand.

As far as advise; I would follow your heart, it's all that matters if you ever want to be content, which you won't find in other people's opinion or choices.

Good Luck....

i work in a me station and as far as i know we as rampers get something like 5 or 6 vacation weeks total, sick bank carries over ( i think) but the retirement package is a joke. if you have any cities on the list that serve city size as srq or anywhere you are not secured with this airline's management team i know that because this srq was one on the list if we wanted to transfer just like pwm and now both are or will be M E

How secure is the new job in SRQ with mainline express? If it was secure, and knowing that I've wanted to move to the sunbelt, I would do it.
It boils down to one thing... job security.
If I were offered a job at 20.00/hr but was told the job would only last 6 months or one at 13.00/hr to start and guaranteed a job for the next 5 years than I'd take the 13.00/hr job in a minute.
But if I were you I'd try to get out of the airline business altogether. There’s no such thing as job security anymore.
Best of luck
CC

colorado_cowboy said:
But if I were you I'd try to get out of the airline business altogether. There’s no such thing as job security anymore.
Best of luck
CC
Now thers some good advice. The airline glory days are gone forever. There is life after usairways. ;)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 107
You should give it a lot of thought first. I can tell you that $13 doesn't go very far nowadays to get the bills paid. I would consider staying in my station with the 4 Mainline flights to see what happens. Remember that when and if your staion gets
Expressed, you will be entitled to severence pay as well as unemployment. You can take that and then put in a transfer to SRQ for Mainline Express. There will be openings most of the time due to the high turnover rate with the poverty level Express wages. I for one would not jump the gun to flee to a $13 an hour job no matter where it was.

I agree with Wings, hey severance and unemployment is n't a bad deal-it gives you a chance to recoup. Besides, if you transfer and the ship goes down, your stuck in a strange place-SRQ with no job AND no severance. From what I here SRQ is NOT a high turn over station, they have high seniority and do not leave. I'd stay put. Good luck!!