Need some guidance from the inside...

Crust

Aug 7, 2011
Greetings all!

I figured this would be a good forum to get some honest opinions from the inside, if you will. Basically, I'm in the running for a job at US at HQ. It's in Res, so nothing glamorous but not entry level either. I've worked for other airlines before in this capacity, so I know what I'm getting into for the most part. I applied for this when I was between jobs in a nothing to lose kind of deal. HR took so long to get back to me I've actually started elsewhere and been there for a few months.

The real kicker is that I'm a good, good distance away. We'll just say thousands of miles. How crazy am I to even think about moving across the country to take this job? There's no house, kids, or anything like that to think about. My fiance is all for it and my family hates this state, so they say what the hell go and try also.

I will say that the position itself is damn near a perfect fit for me. I understand what a harsh mistress this industry is, yet I still love it. It's like looking at the car accident on the highway on a daily basis.

So...what am I getting myself into?

Reactions: 2 people
Not to rain on your parade, but res - while it may be in Phoenix - is not at HQ. And res is entry level.

IF you really want to be in this once glamourous airline industry, I would encourage you to look elsewhere than US.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 person

I worked in Res many years ago and it was the worst job I ever had. You are chained to the computer...
if you have to go to the restroom you have to ask permission. You are timed doing everything. They
keep track of how long you spend on each call.... they keep track of how much you sell.... you have
timed lunch breaks.... it is awful... I could not get out fast enough... still work here though...
in a much better job.
I must say I worked in res 28 years ago... and I am sure that it has since changed... but I could not
think it has changed that much.

He said he is not a res agent people, not entry level, so I assume support or sup.

First off, you are probably safe job wise even if there are some small cutbacks at the airline in the near future since everything is being brought back in house in reservations I am sure that is requiring more hiring for support and management people.
Arizona is a great place to live. Traffic and Weather are 100x better then anything back east. After 15 years here I can't stand visiting family and friends because of the humidity. The housing market cannot be beat right now, you will be living large compared to anything back east. And you will live in an Airline hub which makes the travel benefits more usable. Between US & SW there is almost no where you can't non rev too. On a side note I have old AWA friends that went to CAl, United and NW after the merger with US, all moving out of Arizona and each one would rather be here working for US then what the ended up with.

Reactions: 5 people
Greetings all!

I figured this would be a good forum to get some honest opinions from the inside, if you will. Basically, I'm in the running for a job at US at HQ. It's in Res, so nothing glamorous but not entry level either. I've worked for other airlines before in this capacity, so I know what I'm getting into for the most part. I applied for this when I was between jobs in a nothing to lose kind of deal. HR took so long to get back to me I've actually started elsewhere and been there for a few months.

So, I take it that HR has gotten back to you (albeit it took a very long time), the position is still available, and you are still interested?

I don't work at US, or live in Phoenix, so I can't comment on those two specific issues. However, I will say that if you hate where you geographically reside, and/or you are not entirely satisfied with your job, what is the point in staying there? Some people view a cross-country move as an opportunity to start fresh, so perhaps you should pursue this.

That said, if you love your current job, you might want to consider staying there. It's really hard to find a job that you love.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

So...what am I getting myself into?

I understand your interest in working for an airline again, it does get in your blood, and becomes a way of life.

IMHO, there is only one airline worth moving to accept a job, and that would be Southwest.

I do not think US will exist five years from now, the game plan seems to be to find someone, anyone, to merge with and for senior management to drive off with truckloads of cash.... again. Since no one wants to merge with US, another scenario is further attrition and cutbacks, and eventual piecing out. Low and middle level non union employees will be extremely vulnerable.

Frankly, I would not recommend this career path to anyone. The airlines do not want career minded employees, they want disposable employees to sign on, work a few years, and move on. If you enjoy your current job and have any type of career growth opportunities, I'd stay put. With this fragile economy, you could move to PHX and lose your job within 6 months.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Thanks for the feedback!

Upnaway hit it right on the head. It's a supe job in the PHX/Tempe call center. This is actually my second interview now with management this time. They're actually flying me down and putting me up for the night for this go around.

As far as my current job...eh...to me, it's just a paycheck that I am grateful to have. That being said, advancement? Technically possible, but highly unlikely for the office I work in. I know all to well the glamor of call centers in general, so that doesn't scare me. Getting rid of the Midwest winters is certainly a positive.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom, feel free to share. Anything company wise is appreciated and thanks again!

One thing to remember if you get the offer is that you would be making a move to a warmer climate with a job in place. That's a huge consideration! I moved to Los Angeles from Pennsylvania right after college with no job, and it was terrifying! (I wouldn't do that now!)

Of course there are no guarantees in life. If you take the job, and it doesn't work out for whatever reason, at least you'd already be settled in a more geographically desirable location. If you had to start over, it wouldn't necessarily be "from scratch."

If your happy were you are stay.21 yrs here now hind sight is amazing.If its managment job and you can help us,well I cant say we dont need help.But hte grass is not so green on this side of the fence.what pos are you looking at and the money is the question,these days in this buss its all about money,there is no security.....:)