Grafitti

Dea Certe

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I have to say I've been with the company for a long time. Grafitti was relatively rare but now we are seeing in it employee elevators, bag rooms and crew rooms.

Why is this? I've even seen it inside the aircraft in cabinets and closets! I don't think it's flight attendants. I don't want to point fingers, but is it coming from outside vendors?

My experience with the contracted cleaners has been pleasant enough. Of course, they aren't exactly motivated to notice the cups, napkins or other refuse under seat rows. Granted, their time to clean is limited and I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on that basis. When asked to return to complete the job, they seem to do so without complaint.

Does anyone know if they have security background checks?

I don't know about most, but I would be hard-pressed to show up at the airport to work for near-poverty wages. The parking, the screenings, that stuff is very annoying.

Also, why is there not a dress code enforced? If for no other reason than safety? I worry about the loose shirts and pants getting caught in moving parts of the bag belts. and causing serious injuries. Most of these guys and gals seem so young, they may not know better!

I'd appreciate any input. Am I just a cranky old lady?

Dea

First Amendment right are one thing, defacing company property is another.

Dea

I knew John Oot and he was a super guy. I often wondered why he was so disliked.
I don't really know Capt. I worked with him briefly in the early 90's, seemed like a nice guy to me.
At any rate the man is a legend in the airline industry.
A friend once told me (and I can't confirm this) we once had a 737-3 delivered from Boeing that had "OOT SUX" grafitti from the factory.

Dea,

A few hours ago i read your post about this topic. I tried to fall asleep but couldn't. I have always enjoyed your post until now...I am one of your contract vendors who was also a flight attendant. I started in the late 80's and transferred to fleet service, for various reasons. I was a US F/A in BWI and DCA and have worked in fleet service in numerous cites.

In the last few months i have wiped mayonaisse off flight attendant intercoms. Ketchup was all over one flight attendant jumpseat and safety belt. I make it a personal privilege to make sure their is a revised safety card in each seat. I replace seat covers stained with puke and other body matters.

Your post makes me feel that you are so superior to everyone else. I am ashamed that you feel so poorly towards contract employees. Perhaps you need to look in the mirror and revaluate your career.

IL,

I dont blame you. I am curious as to who does it and why. It's new behavior.

Truly, it's new stuff, I just don't why it's happening.

No beef with the newhires.

Dea

Believe me, I dont feel any superior at all or
any superior to any worker, we all here to our best to do a job, and hopefully we do that job to the best of our ability.
No offence, OK?

Dea

Okay, Dea, i've cooled down. But, galley grafitti is nothing new. I remember my first flight attendant trip as a "B" flight attendant on an old Piedmont 737-200 with airstairs in the rear. A full face was painted on the stairs and was commonly referred to a "Tammy Faye." Also. i remember seeing "Piedmont Lives" while searching for napkins, Speedbird logos, Hate Colodny references, PSA proudly written in side galley compartments.

All i am saying is don't necessarily blame the vendors. There are bad apples in every bunch including flight attendants.

Okay, Dea, i've cooled down. But, galley grafitti is nothing new. I remember my first flight attendant trip as a "B" flight attendant on an old Piedmont 737-200 with airstairs in the rear. A full face was painted on the stairs and was commonly referred to a "Tammy Faye." Also. i remember seeing "Piedmont Lives" while searching for napkins, Speedbird logos, Hate Colodny references, PSA proudly written in side galley compartments.

All i am saying is don't necessarily blame the vendors. There are bad apples in every bunch including flight attendants.

This is not necessarily a vendor problem, and nobody should point fingers, except maybe at themselves. There is never an excuse for defacing private property to make a point. Period. With the increased presence of graffiti, it is obvious that pigs do exist, even among the people who claim to be airline professionals, whether they are contract vendor employees, or airline employees. Must there be juvenile behavior in this environment? Grow up, pigs. Learn to vent your frustrations in a more professional way.

I would venture a guess that some of that galley graffiti was done by maintenance personnel (OOT SUX) :eek:

Some years back when we were changing the exterior colors from USAIR red/orange/etc to the red/blue stripe, there was a new wordmark on the vertical fin. Well, the dot over the "i" in the USAIR contained a small Piedmont Logo...Installed by the CLT Bay 01 crew (at that time). It was our signature trademark to planes that we actually upgraded ;)

One day, one of our speedbirds was noticed by some big-shot wench in DCA. She contacted our Director of MTC and demanded that the Lead Mechanic and the entire crew be FIRED :shock: !! We never were fired and we quit putting speedbirds in the dot of the I. Instead, we relocated it to the leading edge of the VOR-ANT fin cap :lol: I don't remember how many were painted and released but it was a bunch.

Long live the Pacemakers and the mechanics of "Tornado Alley" Bay 01- CLT :up: You know who you are!!

Do you remember the two 737s that were silver due to the lap joint repairs and inspections?

They made them the dot com planes and someone covered up the "er" in No Brainer, so it said "No Brain" and flew around for several days like that!