New A321s Ordered

just my opinion, but I think the extra 321's will be used on the higher density, short-medium haul hub routes to more or less free up 319/320/757s to do longer haul domestic and carribean routes. LAX-PHX, BOS-CLT, MCO-PHL, etc. will see more 321s while maybe a few 319's might be freed up to start PDX-CLT or maybe PVD-PHX, etc.

I think its good to see US ordering more mainline craft in general and they might as well get the larger capacity ones seeing how the per seat economics is better with the current high cost of fuel.

Does this mean that the reduction of the existing A321's from 26F to 16F is a 100% go-ahead? I thought that the last line from the company was that they were still considering it.

Interesting SEC filing on the additional/converted A321 orders - reads a little differently than the press release. Here's the "meat" of the filing (bolding mine):

-----
Item 1.01 Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement.

On August 24, 2006, America West Airlines, Inc. ("AWA") and Airbus S.A.S. ("Airbus") entered into Amendment No. 16 to the A319/A320 Purchase Agreement between AWA and Airbus, dated as of September 12, 1997 (the "AWA Purchase Agreement"), adding a firm order for seven A321-200 model aircraft. In addition, Airbus granted rights to AWA to convert orders for one A320 aircraft and seven A319 aircraft to orders for A321 aircraft. The seven incremental A321 aircraft will be delivered beginning in 2008. Deliveries of the eight converted A321 aircraft may begin in 2009.

In addition, on August 24, 2006, AWA and Airbus entered into Amendment No. 14 to the AWA Purchase Agreement, and Airbus and US Airways, Inc. ("US Airways") entered into Amendment No. 17 to the A319/A320/A321 Purchase Agreement between Airbus and US Airways, dated as of October 31, 1997 (the "US Airways Purchase Agreement"). These two amendments transfer the purchase of 19 A320 family aircraft from the US Airways Purchase Agreement to the AWA Purchase Agreement.

On August 24, 2006, AWA and Airbus also entered into Amendment No. 15 to the AWA Purchase Agreement. Amendment No. 15 extends to 2008 and 2009 certain of AWA's conversion and cancellation rights previously in effect with respect to 15 A318 aircraft.
-----

So it appears that US Group now has no Airbus narrowbody orders - those were added to the HP order. Just wondering why they did it this way instead of transferring the HP orders to the US Group order.....

Jim

So it appears that US Group now has no Airbus narrowbody orders - those were added to the HP order. Just wondering why they did it this way instead of transferring the HP orders to the US Group order.....

Either there was some financial nut that was tastier on the HP order side or.....

They are getting ready to whipsaw both pilot groups somehow (dunno if the contract/transition agreement would allow for such a thing, but it's typical Dougie/Jerry).

The AFA union approached the company about adding another extra to the A321 on meal flights. Due to the large amount of seats the C f/a is needed up front to assist the A. This leaves only 2 flight attendants to work the whole coach cabin. Talk about the slave ship. Whew. The company REFUSED to even budge on it saying that the reconfiguration would be comming shortly. That is what AFA was told and I believe is in one of the last few E-lines put out. So I guess 16 it is.

Jim

The HP contract always had better language for moving up, canceling, or converting orders. I guess this officially means that the 6 320s and 13 321 = 19 Airbus on the East order still exist.

Although at this point management can have them delivered in any from from 319 to 321 and in a flexible time frame. It is not canceled they want 321s sooner than the east contract allows and will probably revisit what to do about the rest of the order sometime in the future.

Shame about the 318 but Pratt really screwed themselves over in that one. Besides the 190 is a much better plane from a cost perspective.

Either there was some financial nut that was tastier on the HP order side or.....

They are getting ready to whipsaw both pilot groups somehow (dunno if the contract/transition agreement would allow for such a thing, but it's typical Dougie/Jerry).

It must be whipsaw. Whether the contract permits it or not, it'll scare the pilot groups by now only having one of them with an Airbus narrowbody order.

I can't imagine that the HP contract was in any way cheaper than the US contract. US did order 400 of the things after all. Largest aircraft order in history and all that.

Is thier any word on which engine combination the future A321's will use?

Hopefully they will stick with the CFM's that the East A321's already have...as under powered as they are <_<

could'nt this just simply be streamlining the orders into 1 (set of) agreement(s) with US/HP and AB?? I mean they are to become one airline eventually, right???

Maybe there is some financial advantage in doing this - why does it have to be in an effort to screw an employee group...

If it is going on the US Certificate it would come with the CFM-56s, does not make business sense to add a differant engine type.

could'nt this just simply be streamlining the orders into 1 (set of) agreement(s) with US/HP and AB?? I mean they are to become one airline eventually, right???

Maybe there is some financial advantage in doing this - why does it have to be in an effort to screw an employee group...
At least from the east point of view, that is what management is paid to do, always has. Doogie won't even bargain in good faith with the various employee groups and has stated that he could run them apart for as long as he wants.

Parity Plus, Fly Safe.

Well we were told here on the West that we will be flying some of the A321's. Hence, why we're being trained on them starting October.

Because we never got the largest airbus aircraft order in history it was just a ploy for the employees to except pay cuts to get the aircraft. It never materialize

If it is going on the US Certificate it would come with the CFM-56s, does not make business sense to add a differant engine type.
No mention of which engine type......delivery to begin 2008. If the east and west operating certificate is combined as one, as slated, end of April 2007, it will be the NEW US Airways certificate........not east nor west.