New low for the TWU...IMO

Duke787

Veteran
Feb 6, 2008
ord
As Southwest continues to outsource flight maintenance to reduce cost, the safety risks are likely to increase. This will be known as the first of more incidents to follow if Southwest is not held accountable.

http://twu514.org/blog/2013/07/24/southwest-flight-345/

and his retraction

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/twu-president-update-on-second-thought-we-retract-our-statement-on-southwest-airlines-and-we-apologize.html/

Southwest CEO must have been upset.

Will he say this about AA when we start more outsourcing, as I understand it we outsource the 777, 757, 787, some 767 and will outsource the A319, A321, and a320.

If I were the TWU, I would concentrate more on a better contract, You know getting something better then what non-union mechs have.Lets not forget that before BK, we paid double what the FA's paid for health ins, with the same coverage, same company. DOUBLE !!!!!

5 sick days 1/2 pay
X1.5 for 5 holidays
.01 cent for shift diff
etc
etc
etc

Reactions: 2 people
As Southwest continues to outsource flight maintenance to reduce cost, the safety risks are likely to increase. This will be known as the first of more incidents to follow if Southwest is not held accountable.

http://twu514.org/blog/2013/07/24/southwest-flight-345/

and his retraction

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/twu-president-update-on-second-thought-we-retract-our-statement-on-southwest-airlines-and-we-apologize.html/

Southwest CEO must have been upset.

Will he say this about AA when we start more outsourcing, as I understand it we outsource the 777, 757, 787, some 767 and will outsource the A319, A321, and a320.

If I were the TWU, I would concentrate more on a better contract, You know getting something better then what non-union mechs have.Lets not forget that before BK, we paid double what the FA's paid for health ins, with the same coverage, same company. DOUBLE !!!!!

5 sick days 1/2 pay
X1.5 for 5 holidays
.01 cent for shift diff
etc
etc
etc
HOLY FREAKIN SHITE!! Jim Little is a mother screwing A-hole. I hope our F/A's fire the TWU just because of his statement. What a pathetic looser of a person in such a leadership position. If I ever meet this man in person I will personally tell him and "SHOW" him exactly how I feel about his complete UN-professional comments on the flt 345 issue. What a freakin joke of a leader.

More like an attempt at damage control. Notice how carefully worded the retraction is written so as to make it look like this wasn't Jim Little's personal opinion.
With just weeks till the Convention and defections accelerating it was a huge blunder for Little to attack Southwest before it was known what the cause of the incident was. Workers at Southwest are very loyal to a company that treats them pretty well. His statements would not win him any converts amongst the mechanics, who will likely support anybody but Little at the Convention but may have cost him two of the few larger groups out there that may have supported him. If not for the fact that the man did more damage to our profession than Deregulation or Frank Lorenzo it would be sad watching him self destruct.

Reactions: 1 person
Where was he, when all are seats were coming out of there tracks? just a blip about a/c maint. out sourcing.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe and just maybe he had to back down on blaming outsourcing with all the outsourcing he's allowed AA to do now...

Maybe and just maybe he had to back down on blaming outsourcing with all the outsourcing he's allowed AA to do now...

Little is an idiot and ethically challenged (isn't he the guy who boasted of a fake degree from a diploma mill on his bio?) but in fairness, no union representing aircraft mechanics has successfully resisted the demands of the airlines to outsource maintenance. Not AMFA, not IBT, not IAM and not TWU.

AA's foray into outsourced maintenance isn't the TWU's fault any more than bad weather is the TWU's fault. There are some areas where all unions have been consistently impotent, and outsourcing is one of those areas.

Little is an idiot and ethically challenged (isn't he the guy who boasted of a fake degree from a diploma mill on his bio?) but in fairness, no union representing aircraft mechanics has successfully resisted the demands of the airlines to outsource maintenance. Not AMFA, not IBT, not IAM and not TWU.

AA's foray into outsourced maintenance isn't the TWU's fault any more than bad weather is the TWU's fault. There are some areas where all unions have been consistently impotent, and outsourcing is one of those areas.
That is true, but it is the farce AFL-CIO affiliation and the continuous lie that this organization has some political clout that makes the difference. If the AFL-CIO were all they claim, the BK laws, the Outsourcing Laws, and the Workmans Comp laws would not be so anti-labor. These Unions that remain in the same strategy when failure after failure has taken place is where the rubber meets the road in lack of leadership and willingness to change and is where my complaints arise from.

Reactions: 5 people
HOLY FREAKIN SHITE!! Jim Little is a mother screwing A-hole. I hope our F/A's fire the TWU just because of his statement. What a pathetic looser of a person in such a leadership position. If I ever meet this man in person I will personally tell him and "SHOW" him exactly how I feel about his complete UN-professional comments on the flt 345 issue. What a freakin joke of a leader.
With just weeks till the Convention and defections accelerating it was a huge blunder for Little to attack Southwest before it was known what the cause of the incident was. Workers at Southwest are very loyal to a company that treats them pretty well. His statements would not win him any converts amongst the mechanics, who will likely support anybody but Little at the Convention but may have cost him two of the few larger groups out there that may have supported him. If not for the fact that the man did more damage to our profession than Deregulation or Frank Lorenzo it would be sad watching him self destruct.
More like an attempt at damage control. Notice how carefully worded the retraction is written so as to make it look like this wasn't Jim Little's personal opinion.

Do you all mean James Little lied and Southwest does NOT contract maintenance to third world countries? (Cool you jets swamt, that was not a shot at you for outsourcing checks to El Salvador). The fact is, Little revealed the truth about maintenance at WN. In this case, unfortunately, as was mentioned before, the statement was a little premature as the cause of accident has not yet been determined. Who knows if vendor maintenance had anything to do with it?

However, (now you can start getting irritated swamt) what the hell are you all complaining about? The fact is WN management made a conscious decision to buy cheap maintenance from foreign vendors. Some of the cost savings went to the mechanics, but most of the profits generated because of this cheap maintenance went to the executives. Little took an opportunity when his audience (the flying public) was the most interested and used the series of events to appeal to public concern about the problems generated with outsourcing maintenance. He explained the process and even enlightened the public to the issues. Hard landing, crash landing, or even normal landing does not change that fact that Southwest Air does in fact outsource a major portion of it's maintenance. This guy tried to expose and spotlight that little known fact. I am not sticking up for Little or the TWU, but at the same time, I find it just about sickening to hear you cowards whine and moan when someone finally decides to say something about outsourcing. The only way we are ever going to stop it is when the public realizes the dangers that us mechanics already know. Little tied to showcase this and you all are appalled and insulted. I don't get you?

For all your talk about strength and togetherness within the mechanic industry and the fight to keep jobs, you all sure do buckle when your beloved management friends are being attacked in the open. What the hell is wrong with you all? Are you all seriously defending management? Especially you swamt. WTF? With all your posts about doing this and that for the mechanic and being there for our industry, you sure did fold like a cheap suit once somebody speaks negatively about your buddies in management.

This is not a union thing swamt. While you are wiggling and responding like a scared child, I believe even AMFA leadership would be ready to agree to showcase the issue if it was determined that outsourcing was the cause of accident. At least I hope they would. One thing I know to be sure, swamt, is that AMFA never backed away from a fight when the issue was outsourcing maintenance. They may have done things I disagree with in arguing vendor maintenance, but at the same time, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that AMFA would NOT jump to the defense of the company the way you and some of these others just did.

You all sit back and complain that nothing is being done about aircraft maintenance outsourcing, but once someone finally does at least say something publicly to gain attention on the issue, you all defend the company and berate the union attacker?? swamt will even "SHOW" James Little what he will do if he ever criticizes the company in public again for outsourcing mechanic functions. WTF is wrong with you People??

You are some confused individuals. You cry when nothing is done and cry louder when it is......... I don't get it?

His statement is below in case you all did not read it. If you focus on the sentences in bold, would somebody please explain why this is wrong

Brothers and Sisters,

The incident yesterday (July 22,2013) at LaGuardia Airport, involving Southwest Flight 345, is evidence of the lack of concern Southwest has demonstrated in regards to the safety of its passengers and our members as they continue to press forward in the name of cost savings.

Thankfully, no lives were lost due to our members, the trained flight attendants, and pilots on board. As Southwest continues to outsource flight maintenance to reduce cost, the safety risks are likely to increase. This will be known as the first of more incidents to follow if Southwest is not held accountable.

In response to this tragedy, I have met with our Health and Safety Director, Ed Watt, and our CARE team is fully mobilized and ready in New York to assist with any efforts in regards to the incident.
In solidarity,
James C. Little
International President

Anomaly states he is no trying to defend Jim Little. What do you call it then. AA is shipping its 777 work over seas our 757 work is going out of house. Southwest is hiring mechanics and not just fill the bare minumum in cities that nobody wanted in the AFW RIF. They are in the process of bringing back one of their C check lines now that they are getting more people. Jim Little was doing the typical TWU misdirection waving his right hand while picking your pocket with his left. The FA's at Southwest did not support his statement nor did any other group at Southwest. Maintenance had nothing to do with what happened, A 737 is not meant to landed NOSE FIRST!!!!! Anomaly put the Kool-Aid down and step away from the punch bowl.

Reactions: 3 people
His statement is below in case you all did not read it. If you focus on the sentences in bold, would somebody please explain why this is wrong
FYI, not wrong to criticize overseas outsourcing, just not the right incident. LGA is known to be a challenging airport, people are human, nobody died, move on. Seems to me that the investigation will turn towards pilot training as far as landing on short runways. http://www.aviationt...ml#.UfO88N7D_IV

Do you all mean James Little lied and Southwest does NOT contract maintenance to third world countries? (Cool you jets swamt, that was not a shot at you for outsourcing checks to El Salvador). The fact is, Little revealed the truth about maintenance at WN. In this case, unfortunately, as was mentioned before, the statement was a little premature as the cause of accident has not yet been determined. Who knows if vendor maintenance had anything to do with it?

However, (now you can start getting irritated swamt) what the hell are you all complaining about? The fact is WN management made a conscious decision to buy cheap maintenance from foreign vendors. Some of the cost savings went to the mechanics, but most of the profits generated because of this cheap maintenance went to the executives. Little took an opportunity when his audience (the flying public) was the most interested and used the series of events to appeal to public concern about the problems generated with outsourcing maintenance. He explained the process and even enlightened the public to the issues. Hard landing, crash landing, or even normal landing does not change that fact that Southwest Air does in fact outsource a major portion of it's maintenance. This guy tried to expose and spotlight that little known fact. I am not sticking up for Little or the TWU, but at the same time, I find it just about sickening to hear you cowards whine and moan when someone finally decides to say something about outsourcing. The only way we are ever going to stop it is when the public realizes the dangers that us mechanics already know. Little tied to showcase this and you all are appalled and insulted. I don't get you?

For all your talk about strength and togetherness within the mechanic industry and the fight to keep jobs, you all sure do buckle when your beloved management friends are being attacked in the open. What the hell is wrong with you all? Are you all seriously defending management? Especially you swamt. WTF? With all your posts about doing this and that for the mechanic and being there for our industry, you sure did fold like a cheap suit once somebody speaks negatively about your buddies in management.

This is not a union thing swamt. While you are wiggling and responding like a scared child, I believe even AMFA leadership would be ready to agree to showcase the issue if it was determined that outsourcing was the cause of accident. At least I hope they would. One thing I know to be sure, swamt, is that AMFA never backed away from a fight when the issue was outsourcing maintenance. They may have done things I disagree with in arguing vendor maintenance, but at the same time, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that AMFA would NOT jump to the defense of the company the way you and some of these others just did.

You all sit back and complain that nothing is being done about aircraft maintenance outsourcing, but once someone finally does at least say something publicly to gain attention on the issue, you all defend the company and berate the union attacker?? swamt will even "SHOW" James Little what he will do if he ever criticizes the company in public again for outsourcing mechanic functions. WTF is wrong with you People??

You are some confused individuals. You cry when nothing is done and cry louder when it is......... I don't get it?

Brothers and Sisters,

The incident yesterday (July 22,2013) at LaGuardia Airport, involving Southwest Flight 345, is evidence of the lack of concern Southwest has demonstrated in regards to the safety of its passengers and our members as they continue to press forward in the name of cost savings.

Thankfully, no lives were lost due to our members, the trained flight attendants, and pilots on board. As Southwest continues to outsource flight maintenance to reduce cost, the safety risks are likely to increase. This will be known as the first of more incidents to follow if Southwest is not held accountable.

In response to this tragedy, I have met with our Health and Safety Director, Ed Watt, and our CARE team is fully mobilized and ready in New York to assist with any efforts in regards to the incident.
In solidarity,
James C. Little
International President
Not at all. I said that Little was wrong to attack Southwest before it was known what caused the incident and that its TWU members who are loyal to the company would not respond well to the attack.That his timing in making the attack, with the Convention coming in September was a huge Blunder. Was Little wrong to go after Foreign Maintenance? No, but why isn't he criticizing AA when AA already outsources a greater dollar amount to foreigners than Southwest does? Why is he saying that Southwest must be held accountable and not AA and other carriers? Southwest has more restrictions placed against them as far as foreign outsourcing than AA does. Southwest can only do some OH work overseas while AA can send all their outsourced OH overseas if they choose to. Little is once again speaking with a forked tongue, OK for the TWU and AA to agree to unlimited overhaul overseas outsourcing at AA and pay their workers bottom of the Industry wages but AMFA and Southwest are bad for allowing a limited amount of OH to be sent overseas while giving their workers industry leading terms.

Reactions: 4 people