New Rest and Duty time FAA proposal

CaptBud330

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Looks like ALL airlines will need to hire. I imagine managements will object to the new proposed rules.

The proposed rules, which are open for public comment for 60 days before taking effect, call for the most sweeping changes in pilot scheduling since the dawn of the jet age:

• Instead of simply giving pilots eight hours off between shifts, they would get nine hours of rest. The rest period would begin once they got to their hotel instead of when the left their aircraft.

• Pilots had been allowed to work for up to 16 hours in a day. That would be cut to a maximum of 13. Pilots who flew overnight or made numerous landings and takeoffs would be restricted to as little as nine hours on duty.

• The amount of time that pilots could be behind the controls of an aircraft increased slightly from the current eight hours per day to as much as 10 hours in some limited circumstances. Studies have shown that flying longer than eight hours does not necessarily cause excess fatigue, provided that the flights are not being flown in the middle of the night. 24 hours off in 7 days.
If passed, the rules would reduce a pilot's workday to a maximum of 13 hours from 16 hours, which could slide to nine hours if the pilot works at night. It increases the required rest time for a pilot before duty to nine hours from eight, and lifts the number of consecutive hours a pilot must be free of all duty each week to 30 from 24.

Me Too Clause! Yet another reason to keep it.
Getting RID of the "Me Too" Clause in this era of corporate cost cutting and downsizing would be One of the Stupidest Things the Membership could do. ONCE You give it up, You will know firsthand what an Endentured servant IS. NO Amount of Money will correlate to HOW Valuable this Bargaining Chip in Negotiations Is. And that nonsense figure of $10 an hour pay increases across the Board?..........you will be lucky to see $5-6 dollars of it After taxes and endure a Life of Hell in the process. This Management Team has proven over the length of their tenure WHAT their MO is all about when it comes to dealing with Customer Service Initiatives, labor Negotiations or Cost Cuttings across the Board. Remember their mantra.........."It's all about Cheap".......that is for everyone in the Corporate Compound. We have seen how Tempe has misjudged the Pilot Labor issue and STILL can't get it resolved, and there is A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y NO REASON to give them ANYTHING concession wise let alone the "Me TOO" that was hammered out over a period of 40 years.

Looks like ALL airlines will need to hire. I imagine managements will object to the new proposed rules.

The proposed rules, which are open for public comment for 60 days before taking effect, call for the most sweeping changes in pilot scheduling since the dawn of the jet age...

Watch the ATA light those afterburners in a no-holds-barred attempt to thwart this NPRM.

Watch the ATA light those afterburners in a no-holds-barred attempt to thwart this NPRM.
It would appear to me that the ATA actually wrote these proposals and I would not be surprised if these rules result in furloughs. There are several parts of the nprm wich would increase both productivity and fatigue. The first would be increasing unaugmented flight time to 10 hr. which would not only increase the flight but also do away with the IRO on most of our etops flights. The second major problem would be that the minimum ron would be the same for domestic and intl. flights giving absolutly no consideration for a crew flyiing through many time zones. Nine hours behind doors will not hack it for intl. rons. Not to mention NO time limit per week and 100 hrs. in 28 days vs a month and no limit at all for a double augmented crew. And they claim a 25% increase in time off per 7 days- 30 hrs. off vs 24 now. Think about it and you realize that means that you can still fly every day of the week in most cases.

In short this nprm is more about increasing airline profits and productivity than reducing fatigue.

Regards,
Bob

Latest posts

Back